Christopher
Reaction score
Vehicles
21model3,,71F250,88Dakota,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
…it depends on the definition of “truck”

F-150 Lightning is like walking into a place where the guy behind the bar is wearing a t-shirt, has an Irish lilt in his voice and asks “ what you be havi’n?” Before you even finish he’s putting the damn drink up on the bar for ya! No money just a nod and asks if you wanna a tab.

Cybertruck is more a big place full of strangers who don’t all speak the same language, except everyone knows its Elon’s. The guy behind the bar is staight forward asks for your reservation. Asks whether you’d like sit at the bar for drinks or wait to order. You reply drinks! Sure. He returns with menus. Asks what you’d like to order. Just drinks! Fine do you want to eat at the bar? Or should we keep your reservation open for a table. The latter you choose. Hostess shows before drinks to infom a table is open in a half hour. Perfect! Drink, drink. You ask on the third round of drinks if your table is ready? LOL they’re busy.

Yeah, two different bars! Two different trucks. One works like a pickup, priced like a pickup and feels like a pickup. Its a pickup - no doubt.

The other works like a truck with better performance than a sportscar! It’s same as a pickup - its a thinking man’s truck. It’s priced less than a pickup and out runs and guns one too! It feels like a sportscar and faster than a 911 Porsche. Its got you thinking its the fastest pickup on the planet - no doubt.

At the end of the day, the F-150 bar guys buy trucks ’cuz they’re truck guys, know trucks and if FORD don’t make it you don’t need one!

Cybertruck guys have bought EV and buy a truck ‘cuz they don’t want just any old truck - they want the best EV the world has to offer. Elon makes those.
There are other "bars" including the liquor store and the garage. I prefer the liquor store, the garage, and a couple of folding chairs.
I am glad Ford has entered the E.V. market. Their product is substandard, I expect it is purposeful and calculated, but at least they have offerings. I am exhausted from all of the posturing.
1971 ¾ ton @ 5300 lbs is suspect
1997 ⅓ ton ==5365 lbs. stock in my Bio picture
I regularly use my truck for trips to the dump, recycling center and the wrecking yard. Every time I cross those scales after dropping my payload I am shown a weight of 5280. Yes, these scales are not accurate to the gram, but they are consistent and commercial. So, feel free to be suspicious, but the numbers I have seen over the 14 years I've owned this truck are consistent.
Advertisement

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
There are other "bars" including the liquor store and the garage. I prefer the liquor store, the garage, and a couple of folding chairs.
I am glad Ford has entered the E.V. market. Their product is substandard, I expect it is purposeful and calculated, but at least they have offerings. I am exhausted from all of the posturing.

I regularly use my truck for trips to the dump, recycling center and the wrecking yard. Every time I cross those scales after dropping my payload I am shown a weight of 5280. Yes, these scales are not accurate to the gram, but they are consistent and commercial. So, feel free to be suspicious, but the numbers I have seen over the 14 years I've owned this truck are consistent.
Surprised a ¾ ton axels can get within reach of a 2door Tahoe. Guess that’s the Heavy Chevy! Thanks

John K

First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
To reduce vehicle weight, use less air in your tires.

Ford’s design is a winning combination to garner market share who are willing to convert to EV but want a comfortable same old body style. Ford will reap larger benefits with swapping out the skateboard with other body styles compared to truck sales alone.
If Cybertruck was never announced, I would be watchful of Ford’s offering but, would not preorder.

firsttruck

Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Ford’s design is a winning combination to garner market share who are willing to convert to EV but want a comfortable same old body style.
For city car/truck type EVs you can get away with keeping the old UN-aerodynamic (ie brick wall) body style.

But for anything used significant amounts of time doing non-stop highway speeds the energy penalty is huge. At highway speeds aerodynamics is a lot more important than weight.
The old style will not cut it.

One exhibit of this is range.
With ICE typical city range was always less than highway range
With EVs it is the opposite and the difference is wider.
With EVs, typical city range is much much longer than highway and the speeds over 70mph get worse at much faster rate.

Those Ford F-150 Lightning buyers that only drive stop-n-go in city or those that have home solar might be quite happy.
Ford F-150 Lightning buyers who pay for electricity (esp. charging on trips) and travel long distances fast will find you can make bricks walls fly but you have to keep feeding it a lot of energy to keep doing it.

A aerodynamic brick (Cybertruck) makes a huge difference (is much better) compared to a pushing a brick wall.

Last edited:

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford F-150, 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
I've been thinking about this...if you added a tonneau cover to the Lightning (or put down the tail gate) and there was some type of aftermarket hood you could get that was more sloped, would it give the Ford a better cd? Maybe the same battery pack would go +20 or 30 miles. Of course you are limited to the side panel height so it would look sort of bug-eyed. But I would do it if it would increase range. I don't think it would detract that much usefulness from the Mega Power Frunk either. But you could just argue I'm trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear...or a Cybertruck out of a Lightning...
Ford_F-150_Lightning_Drop_Hood.jpg
I know enough about aerodynamics to say those changes might even make the Cd higher by shooting the high pressure air on top of the vehicle higher. If it did lower the Cd, it would be a very slight amount because the front shape of the vehicle is not very important at all (compared to the back half of the vehicle).

The Cybertruck is packaged very efficiently space-wise so it has a lower total frontal area (which is what you multiply the Cd by to get total drag). And the proposed changes to the nose of the vehicle do not reduce frontal area. So, yeah, there is no practical way to get it anywhere near the Cybertruck's drag.

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Reaction score
Vehicles
21model3,,71F250,88Dakota,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
Surprised a ¾ ton axels can get within reach of a 2door Tahoe. Guess that’s the Heavy Chevy! Thanks
Actually, mine is a camper special with the Dana 60 axle. it is the same as the 1 ton and above.

Advertisement

Advertisement