A shorter CT

Where would you prefer to lose the space to make up for 3% shrinkage in length?

• Total voters

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
The new images of CT brings up the question where the 3% was taken from? This image could be real since the rear door look smaller and there are no door handles. Where would you rather lose the space that is taken from CT to make up that 3%? Would you prefer a smaller CT or like the original dimensions more?

Tesla Cybertruck A shorter CT 1624458474658
Sponsored

rharl

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cyber truck tri motor
Occupation
insurance
Country flag
The new images of CT brings up the question where the 3% was taken from? This image could be real since the rear door look smaller and there are no door handles. Where would you rather lose the space that is taken from CT to make up that 3%? Would you prefer a smaller CT or like the original dimensions more?

1624458474658.png
that is a home built look a the pillars and how the windows are divided.

JJ_Tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just Purchased: 2021 F150 Hybrid Platinum
Country flag
It is hard to answer without specs, but I would prefer a CT that fits in my garage (even if barely) and they can cut the extra space from either the bed or frunk. I'm 6'2" with 2 adult sized teens, so a small backseat would be a deal breaker if the 4 of us cannot reasonably take the CT on a road trip.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag

1624458474658.png
I just want to say that's not a Cybertruck, just a Cybertruck replica.

Now as for the 3% shrinkage. I've mentioned this before but I don't think the 3% will necessarily come from the length at all. Originally Elon was saying that a 5% reduction in all dimensions was needed to fit in a standard garage, this was mentioned when he took Jay Leno for a ride. Later he said that was too small and that the Cybertruck would be closer to the prototype. The 3% was later given and the reason for that was for future boring tunnels and how it would suck if you were a couple inches too big for the tunnel.

I think the width is where they need to cut a little bit of space which could be done by slimmer door arm rests and making the middle seats slightly more narrow. Personally I was really hoping they would just leave it the size it is and build a new drill to make the tunnels a couple inches wider in the future and just not allow Cybertrucks in the already built tunnels since there are so few.

But if it needs to be done for the tunnels, I can understand them making it slightly more narrow. I just don't see a reason to take it off the length if the reason is truly for the tunnels. I doubt there will be any narrow turns in the boring tunnels that will require a short vehicle.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Shrink it? After what I paid to build a garage that fits it they bloody well better not shrink it!
The 3% reduction was the last update given for the size of the Cybertruck. I'm with you, I don't want to see that thing any smaller. If anything, I could use a little extra room in the cab or bed. However Elon definitely wants to make sure that it can fit in future boring tunnels. If they can make self driving work in the tunnels at the speeds that they intend, I really do want to my truck to be able to fit in them when more are built.

Still have my fingers crossed for a bigger drill for bigger tunnels so I can be happy in my giant Cybertruck.

OP
OP
Diehard

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I took the image off of a video. The photo of it does not look as bad.

that is a home built look a the pillars and how the windows are divided.
I wonder if Tesla Slap together different CTs during design phase to try ideas and now using them to test the powertrain or other things while putting a final design together. I do hope you are correct though

I just want to say that's not a Cybertruck, just a Cybertruck replica.
why do you say that? Do you know about source of video and images? Or because it looks different from the original?

I just don't see a reason to take it off the length if the reason is truly for the tunnels.
It could be to reduce mass, improve maneuverability, off-road-ability and make it a bit easier to park.

I personally prefer to keep the dimensions as we saw it but OK with size reduction pending where it comes from. I really want the bed length as is.

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
I just can't. If needs be, make it narrower. Leave the bed length at 6.5' if not extend it to 8'. I understand Musk is fine with a short bed, but any shorter than 8' with the tailgate down and it may as well be just a toy... an expensive pretension as a work vehicle.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
What if an aftermarket extension can be added to the back?

One that allows the bed tonneau cover to seal, adds brake lights and such to the end. Aerodynamics will be taken into consideration but cannot promise zero negative impact with unknowns. Tow hitch extension would take more consideration but possible.

if so, would you want a user removable option to restore truck to original state?

if someone did not already have the idea, or lifts it from here and runs with it, I will build a concept in the near future and at least offer limited production if it generates interest.

Last edited:

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
I could see the front end being shortened, without losing any or much of the frunk. And, some passenger compartment can be lost without suffering greatly. Just under 7". Easily hidden mostly in the first area, then a little in the latter. peace
Sponsored