Hunter

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Nissan Leaf, Toyota Tachoma, Jeeps
Occupation
General Contractor, retired / Electronics designer/manufacture & software developer in years past
Country flag
It would be nice to have the ability to bolt on a temporary heavy-duty rock plate underneath, mostly just in the center section which is most vulnerable to high centering.

Some of the back roads I visit for hunting or to cut fire wood are rough and rocky. We don't call them roads; they are "rocky 2-tracks". I can't even find a photo for you because they are the kind of road where you need to pay attention to the rocks as you crawl thru them in places. Don't want to accidentally damage the battery pack.

In other words, from the factory it would be good to have appropriate places to bolt on an aftermarket rock plate (or plates).

You could leave on, or possibly use a floor jack to remove when you don't need.

Thanks.
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Having a maximum ground clearance of 16" should go a long way to dealing with rocks but assuming that the exoskeleton wraps to some extent under the vehicle as @Crissa mentioned should pretty much do the job that any skid plate would provide.

Gvardaman

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW 330ci, VW Corrado (non-op)
Occupation
Country flag
Yeah, this has/will have an air suspension to increase ground clearance and the whole bottom was like a giant, stainless steel skid plate, at least on the prototype. I fully expect that for the final product.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
For bomping down a skinny forest road at 20MPH you aren’t going to seriously damage anything. It’s made to handle hardened debris at 70MPH.

If you are doing some off-road racing or just seriously hauling ass or doing something which might cause the truck do drop onto rocks from some distance you might want to double up.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
This video was shot by someone who wanted to show every inch of the Prototype Cybertruck at the Petersen Museum last year. Check out the shots of the bottom of that vehicle. That looks like, as strong of a skidplate as any for the street vehicle ever manufactured. Bottom shots start at 0:25.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
This video was shot by someone who wanted to show every inch of the Prototype Cybertruck at the Petersen Museum last year. Check out the shots of the bottom of that vehicle. That looks like, as strong of a skidplate as any for the street vehicle ever manufactured. Bottom shots start at 0:25.

Every single one of us during acceptance day notating everything based on three years pent up anticipation.

Tesla employee, ”So, you do not want to accept due to the long list of concerns?”

Every one of us, “I didn’t say that…”

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Every single one of us during acceptance day notating everything based on three years pent up anticipation.

Tesla employee, ”So, you do not want to accept due to the long list of concerns?”

Every one of us, “I didn’t say that…”
And as soon as the truck is home, everyone who hasn't yet taken delivery is going to be asking for pictures/video of every single inch of the truck. Both parked and in motion, at slow and at high speed, in sunshine and in floodwaters, on paved streets and over rocky boulder roads.

Might be advisable for the first few people to delay notifying anyone that they took delivery so that they can have a bit of time to get fully comfortable before others start barging in.

4jamorgan

First Name
Joyce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model X 75D
Occupation
Web Developer
Country flag
It looks like it is a show-stealer, the people in the background in checking it out. To be honest, I am not a fan of its rims, it is too much considering the fact that the tires on this Cybertruck are already aggressive. I wonder if the future owner of it will be able to install aftermarket wheels like Helo wheels. :unsure:

Last edited:

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
And as soon as the truck is home, everyone who hasn't yet taken delivery is going to be asking for pictures/video of every single inch of the truck. Both parked and in motion, at slow and at high speed, in sunshine and in floodwaters, on paved streets and over rocky boulder roads.

Might be advisable for the first few people to delay notifying anyone that they took delivery so that they can have a bit of time to get fully comfortable before others start barging in.
I've had vehicles that got some attention, and at gas stations people would come up and ask I was interested in selling. At least we won't be hit up like that at gas stations. But I imagine there will be people interested in the CT for a while. Right now in Southern California used Teslas are worth more than people paid for them in the last 2 years or more.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag

LOL

Either going to be way too busy enjoying it. Or way too busy bragging about it.

There won’t be any “resisting”

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag

The Cybertruck will come with a certain amount of protection because it needs to protect it's battery from highway debris that might get wedged between the road and battery. Just how much abuse it will be able to take is not determinable from a video because it's basically showing that, at a minimum, there is an aero fairing covering the bottom.

As a life-long off-roader, I can you it's always better to avoid being high centered with most of the weight on a single point. Even if you have a skid plate. This is a good way to get stuck. A skilled driver can avoid this by being familiar with their vehicle and knowing where the wheels will track and being able to pick lines that maximize clearance.

I take my Tesla Model 3 with AWD on roads that require me to use all the skills I have learned just to get through. I often lightly scrape various areas of the under carriage on the ground. This helps the driver learn the limits without causing significant damage. I did need to have one of the pressed fiber under-fairings replaced recently but that's no big deal.

The generous approach/departure angles and maximum ground clearance of the Cybertruck will allow it tackle terrain off limits to many other stock off-roaders and I'm well past the point in my life that I want to do a gnarly route simply to prove that me and my rig are ultra-capable. I drive off-road to get places without a lengthy hike and I have no doubts the biggest limitation of the Cybertruck will simply be it large size, mostly it's width but also it's length. When the going gets tough I navigate very slowly to avoid serious damage. So I think driving skills and a realistic understanding of which purposes the Cybertruck is suitable for, coupled with the very generous ground clearance, pretty much negates the need for a heavy-duty skid plate (beyond whatever OEM protection the battery is protected with). Driving skill and proper caution when indicated go a long way. A fool can still get in trouble, even with a gnarly skid plate.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I take my Tesla Model 3 with AWD on roads that require me to use all the skills I have learned just to get through. I often lightly scrape various areas of the under carriage on the ground. This helps the driver learn the limits without causing significant damage. I did need to have one of the pressed fiber under-fairings replaced recently but that's no big deal.
I did some very light off-road stuff on my Model Y, the kind of thing where you get out of the car six times to keep your wheels on the taller rocks so you don’t drag the underside. (No I didn’t drive straight over these rocks)

Ready for something which can do this kind of stuff on autopilot and bigger stuff with some planning.

Tesla Cybertruck Aftermarket rock / skid plate? 1637081412455

Tesla Cybertruck Aftermarket rock / skid plate? 1637081364809

Tesla Cybertruck Aftermarket rock / skid plate? 1637081373873

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
I did some very light off-road stuff on my Model Y, the kind of thing where you get out of the car six times to keep your wheels on the taller rocks so you don’t drag the underside. (No I didn’t drive straight over these rocks)
This is the ONE thing I really liked about the Hummer. It reported to have under car cameras. (Please don't boo me for saying something good about the Hummer. I promise I won't do it again.)
Sponsored