Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Buick Lacrosse, Chevy Silverado
Occupation
HR
Country flag
If this was previously discussed, my apologies.
Would be awesome to inflate or deflate tires from in cab. Going off road or some challenging traction issues. Punch down the tire pressure from the main screen. Out of difficulty, add air from cab back into tires.

Would be awesome for Baja as well sand and snow!
Sponsored

DoulosDS

First Name
DonS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Dual Motor FSD, 2011 Honda Pilot
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Nice! That would allow auto inflation adjustment of all tires depending on temperature, driving conditions, driving mode, etc. It would compensate for slow leaks while flagging the tire with the leak.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
Perhaps a 2 and 3 motor spec motor feature, but I personally dont care. Becuase you could just manually deflate and inflate since it has a compressor onboard. I know nothing about how this type of system would work, but it dosnt seem to me to be a simple bolt on thing. Like say a winch, or extra lights.

RedRiot

First Name
Ismael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fiesta ST
Country flag
Perhaps a 2 and 3 motor spec motor feature, but I personally dont care. Becuase you could just manually deflate and inflate since it has a compressor onboard. I know nothing about how this type of system would work, but it dosnt seem to me to be a simple bolt on thing. Like say a winch, or extra lights.
I think it might be easier than you think. The truck already has most of the major components already installed. The main parts to a CTIS system is the compressor, control panel, ECU, wheel valves, and a few other sensors and pressure switches. I think it just needs the wheel valves and a couple sensors. It’s definitely something I feel it could easier and cheaper from the factory but almost hard AF in the aftermarket. The more we talk about it the more likely it could be added. Your right we can manually do it and it’s definitely not a deal breaker

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
I think it might be easier than you think. The truck already has most of the major components already installed. The main parts to a CTIS system is the compressor, control panel, ECU, wheel valves, and a few other sensors and pressure switches. I think it just needs the wheel valves and a couple sensors. It’s definitely something I feel it could easier and cheaper from the factory but almost hard AF in the aftermarket. The more we talk about it the more likely it could be added. Your right we can manually do it and it’s definitely not a deal breaker

The most costly part that the CT will need, that it doesn't appear to have now, are the hollow axle stubs to connect the air system to the valve stems. The CT's axle shafts would need a port that connect to the air system. This requires a pretty sophisticated seal that would fit in the wheel hub assembly and that the axle stub slides into. Dirt and such will take it's toll on that seal.

So true, most of the CTIS system is in place, but not the expensive part(s), the hub to axle air seal.

martinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mitsubishi Triton
Country flag
The most costly part that the CT will need, that it doesn't appear to have now, are the hollow axle stubs to connect the air system to the valve stems. The CT's axle shafts would need a port that connect to the air system. This requires a pretty sophisticated seal that would fit in the wheel hub assembly and that the axle stub slides into. Dirt and such will take it's toll on that seal.

So true, most of the CTIS system is in place, but not the expensive part(s), the hub to axle air seal.
Maybe this should be an optional extra. It would probably be about a $2,000 option.
Personally I would keep the $2k and just keep using my Staun tyre deflators to air down and then plug in a hose to the onboard air to re-inflate the tyres.

Now a remote tyre pressure sensor is something that should definitely be standard issue.

shaneaus

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy 1500 Z71
Country flag
As an option... OK. As a feature for all trucks - no.

Personally, I would not be interested! My Chevy has sensors for the tires. The two front ones are defective (@180k miles) and are $126/each! Screw that! I'll get it and check the air myself for that much! But, now, I'm stuck with the stupid "Your tire pressure is screwed up" message every time I start my truck!

Deleted member 3316

Aren’t Tyre pressure monitors already a standard feature on Teslas? I have them on my M3DP.

I recall Tesla patented a tyre inflation design for the semi, I think it used a novel hub and wheel interface.

I have a feeling that tyre inflation may be a standard feature on Cybertruck.

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
Aren’t Tyre pressure monitors already a standard feature on Teslas? I have them on my M3DP.

I recall Tesla patented a tyre inflation design for the semi, I think it used a novel hub and wheel interface.

I have a feeling that tyre inflation may be a standard feature on Cybertruck.
CTIS on non-driven axles is pretty easy and cost effective to do.

CTIS on a drive position is expensive and complicated. We have 16 vehicles at my place of employment with CTIS, There is always a problem and parts are expensive.

As super cool as CTIS sounds on the CT, it's one option I would not want, for long term ownership. I put 600k on my last vehicle, I'm capable of getting the CT to 500k before I retire. I want simple and robust! And heated seats and steering wheel, please.

Deleted member 3316

CTIS on non-driven axles is pretty easy and cost effective to do.

CTIS on a drive position is expensive and complicated. We have 16 vehicles at my place of employment with CTIS, There is always a problem and parts are expensive.

As super cool as CTIS sounds on the CT, it's one option I would not want, for long term ownership. I put 600k on my last vehicle, I'm capable of getting the CT to 500k before I retire. I want simple and robust! And heated seats and steering wheel, please.

Have a look for the Tesla patent, I think it aims to solve the reliability problem of current CTIS

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
Well, I'd love to see these rotary air seals and unitized bearings (for the semi application).

On Prevost motor coaches, the front wheel hubs (18.5k front IFS setup) has unitized bearings at $1200 a set. I wonder what Tesla can make this setup for.

I'll admit, I'm pretty impressed with this patent design. It does solve the contamination problem. It really hinges on how reliable this rotary air seal that can pneumatically seal and unseal as air is needed. And with unitized bearings, does the entire bearing unit need to be replaced when a rotary seal goes bad?

For reference:

FIG. 3 is a partial cross-sectional view of a spindle, a unitized bearing set, and a rotary air seal according to a described embodiment. The structure 300 of FIG. 3 includes a unitized bearing set 302 that resides between spindle 304 and a hub (not shown). Channel 308 is formed in the spindle to support the flow of air from an air supply through a first channel 312 formed in an inner portion of the unitized bearing set 302, through a rotary air seal 306, and through a second channel 310 formed in the unitized bearing set 302. This air path is employed to inflate one or more serviced tires.
The rotary air seal 306 may be operable in two states; a sealed state and an unsealed state. In the sealed state, the rotary air seal 306 provides a substantially air-tight seal between the spindle 304 and the hub to support the transfer of air from the channel 308 in the spindle 304 to a channel in the hub. In the unsealed state, the rotary air seal 306 does not provide such a seal. In various operations, in order to support the inflation of the serviced tires and to extend life of the rotary air seal 306, the rotary air seal 306 may be kept in the unsealed state until wireless sensors in the serviced tires indicate that inflation of the tires is required. In such case, the rotary air seal 306 would be transitioned to the sealed state to provide air for inflation. The controller 205 may control the state of the rotary air seal 306.

This statement here is a problem:

According to yet another optional aspect of the first embodiment, the rotary air seal is configured to reside in a sealed state to form a seal between the spindle and the hub to support air flow between the channel formed in the spindle and the channel formed in hub and reside in an unsealed state to negate the seal between the spindle and the hub. With this optional aspect, transitioning the rotary air seal from the unsealed state to the sealed state may be performed only when a serviced vehicle is stationary or a speed of the serviced vehicle is below a threshold speed. Further, with this optional aspect, the rotary air seal may be periodically transitioned between the sealed state and the unsealed state.

The Tesla ATIS can only engage the rotary air seal when the vehicle is stationary or below a threshold speed. This is a disadvantage to current CTIS such as the PSI system from Meritor which allows the tire to be inflated at any speed. The advantage to that is the CTIS can keep a tire with a slow leak at pressure while going down the road, hopefully to a tire shop. Less down time, less road side service, better chance of saving the tire.

I think this ATIS from Tesla would work really well for the CT.

Patent link here

Last edited:

Cybercarlson

First Name
T.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
chevy K1500 decades ago, M3, MY, New Beetle
Country flag
@OneLapper
Thank you for the link. You saved a lot of people time searching for it. (y)

The fact that TESLA has all ready a solution patented is awesome.
This system will work (even at a short stop, e.g. red traffic light) with out being worn down while driving (seals!).

It is another smale step towards autonomus vehicles that take care of them self (checking and fixing tire pressure issues) and keep on rolling.
It is a safty factor with peace of mind potential !
The (in EU) mandatory tire sensors are just a half way fix to the tire inflation problem.

The off roard application is a by product ! All thought a great one !
Especially on a heavy truck increasing the tire contact area will be a true advantage in deep snow and off road.

IMHO it should be standart as part of the "TESLA safest car policy".
The off road special use can be sold (software /at a low price) to people that need it.
Sponsored