Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I have been wondering when and how all-wheel-steering will work and I am guessing that some people on this forum know, or at least know how it worked on other vehicles. I am assuming it will be for slower speeds because it would probably be hard to control at high speeds. But do you-all think it will be a 'button' option in the console, such as 'parking mode', or 'trailer mode', or 'rocky terrain mode', etc.?
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
It will just work. No buttons. You will turn the wheel and the back wheels will also turn. They'll follow the same path as the front wheels, so you won't really notice, until you need toavoid a near corner and the back doesn't cut the corner behind you.

It will know if you have a trailer and if the car is wobbling due to wind or sway and just fix it woth minor rear-end corrections.

Tesla doesn't do buttons. There might be some options in the menus, some displays of them working, and definitely some alerts when they do have to activate, but that's it.

Assuming it comes to the Cybertruck at all, Tesla prefera things to be seamless. There's no button for AWD, either, it just switches as it needs to.

-Crissa

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
They'll follow the same path as the front wheels,
I"m hoping there's more to it than that. For making tight slow speed turns (Like a U turn) they'll steer in the opposite direction of the front wheels but for parallel parking I'm hoping the wheels will turn in the same direction similar to Hummer's "crab walk". While I expect it to be mostly automatic, I'm hoping for some kind of mode settings similar to how there's different Regen modes. I doubt this will happen but would love a full manual option where you could contrrol the rear wheels directly for like lining up with a trailer etc.

Spartacus

First Name
I said Mark with a "C"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra, Prius, KTM Super Duke
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Think GM put it in some of their trucks and abandoned the idea shortly thereafter. Too many maintenance hassles and repair costs attributed to it. Hope Tesla has a better way ... FWIW I'm not that enthusiastic about it.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Slow speed, rear turns right to go left
fast speed, left to go left (slightly)
pissed off as motorcycle rider splitting card, all wheels to 90 degrees same direct and clothesline the rider

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
It will just work. No buttons. You will turn the wheel and the back wheels will also turn. They'll follow the same path as the front wheels, so you won't really notice, until you need toavoid a near corner and the back doesn't cut the corner behind you.

It will know if you have a trailer and if the car is wobbling due to wind or sway and just fix it woth minor rear-end corrections.

Tesla doesn't do buttons. There might be some options in the menus, some displays of them working, and definitely some alerts when they do have to activate, but that's it.

Assuming it comes to the Cybertruck at all, Tesla prefera things to be seamless. There's no button for AWD, either, it just switches as it needs to.

-Crissa
Hmm, with you're saying the rear tires follow the path of the fronts, that means they turn the opposite of the fronts (which is what I thought). As you said, that would mean on the inside of a turn you don't need to worry about cutting the corner. That sounds good for parking in a parking space. However, I wonder about parking next to a curb. Specifically, pulling away from a curb. Won't the rear tires turn toward the curb, meaning it would be something to think about? In front of my house, we have a mailbox right beside the curb. When I park a vehicle with the rear end next to it, I'm aware that if I turn away from the curb, the rear of the vehicle can swing into the mailbox. I would think with all wheel steering, this would be even more of a thing, because the rear tires would be turning towards the curb. Interesting, I would think this could be a real issue when you are next to a curb, even doing a U-turn on a residential street, you would have to adjust your driving style to not pull too close to curbs.
I forget who on the forum has a GMC with all wheel steering, but could you clarify this?

Last edited:

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
im sure on the CT it will be more drastic but low speed...

and high speed...

Double Dare Fan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Kia Soul
Occupation
etsy.com/PlatonicWoodWorks
Country flag
This video explains it well:

Edit: Turns out Crissa beat me by 15 minutes. I had to watch the video first, to make sure it actually applies to the topic at hand.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I was right! :p 4 wheel steering can be a problem when you park to close to a curb. Now Tesla with their camera's can hopefully change the dynamics when parked next to a curb. I found a video on 4 wheel steering on the 89 Honda Prelude. At 3:00 the video talks about the issue with curbs.

SAVFPV

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
All Black Model Y LR, Beast w/ FSD Reserved @ 1149
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Super interesting about the curb! The considerations for design are infinite!

Wondering, is there or is there not a mechanical linkage to the rear wheels from the front wheels, or the steering wheel? I’m guessing that Tesla would never do something so archaic and it would be independantly controlled by a servo/motor and software, but that seems really sketchy. It’s the same reason aircraft must still have wire flight controls and Tesla certainly didn’t remove the steering rack and pinion from their cars for the front wheels. So how will this work? ???

OP
OP
Jhodgesatmb

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Slow speed, rear turns right to go left
fast speed, left to go left (slightly)
pissed off as motorcycle rider splitting card, all wheels to 90 degrees same direct and clothesline the rider
I guess you aren’t a fan of lane splitting but I lived in LA for many years and, for a motorcyclist, it is much safer to split than to sit.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I guess you aren’t a fan of lane splitting but I lived in LA for many years and, for a motorcyclist, it is much safer to split than to sit.
Joking, I have ridden for 3/4 of my life and split lanes while commuting 80 mile daily. I have some experience and also live in LA county.

traffic mores more quickly when everyone is accommodating instead of feeling entitled.

OP
OP
Jhodgesatmb

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Super interesting about the curb! The considerations for design are infinite!

Wondering, is there or is there not a mechanical linkage to the rear wheels from the front wheels, or the steering wheel? I’m guessing that Tesla would never do something so archaic and it would be independantly controlled by a servo/motor and software, but that seems really sketchy. It’s the same reason aircraft must still have wire flight controls and Tesla certainly didn’t remove the steering rack and pinion from their cars for the front wheels. So how will this work? ???
Elon Musk said they are a couple years from digital steering but it is safe to say they are headed that way. I doubt there is any mechanical linkage between front and rear.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Elon Musk said they are a couple years from digital steering but it is safe to say they are headed that way. I doubt there is any mechanical linkage between front and rear.
A couple of years is just in time for my CT.