John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Environmental Health
Country flag
Do I have to stream radio stations? Or does it come with an actual a m f m radio
Sponsored

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Do I have to stream radio stations? Or does it come with an actual a m f m radio
Yes, No, Yes.

The Cybertruck will provide streaming for a number of sources. It does have radio, but no AM, just FM. Many AM stations may be available via one of the streaming services.
While the vehicle is not in motion and either connectivity service or Wi-Fi, you can easily play movies from YouTube, Netflix or more.
And it has a web browser.

And for some, the most important of all, Caraoke!

OP
OP
Cybertruck 1974

Cybertruck 1974

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Environmental Health
Country flag
Yes, No, Yes.

The Cybertruck will provide streaming for a number of sources. It does have radio, but no AM, just FM. Many AM stations may be available via one of the streaming services.
While the vehicle is not in motion and either connectivity service or Wi-Fi, you can easily play movies from YouTube, Netflix or more.

Thanks for the info. All streaming info found out but didn't see anyone show any FM radio broadcasting in their truck yet. Im a morning commuter and enjoy a few of the Bay Area radio morning shows. I can stream them on my phone and CT but just wanted to see if there was a radio function....thanks,

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Thanks for the info. All streaming info found out but didn't see anyone show any FM radio broadcasting in their truck yet. Im a morning commuter and enjoy a few of the Bay Area radio morning shows. I can stream them on my phone and CT but just wanted to see if there was a radio function....thanks,
I use FM radio in my Model Y almost exclusively (except on road trips), so you should have FM in the Cybertruck.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
You can get little AM radios to connect via Bluetooth or USB, but the signal will be bad: Big metal box with lots of AC inverters running.

I really wish they'd just retire AM already.

-Crissa

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
You can get little AM radios to connect via Bluetooth or USB, but the signal will be bad: Big metal box with lots of AC inverters running.

I really wish they'd just retire AM already.

-Crissa
Sometimes AM is the only signal that is important. Emergency road conditions for one. Some places are remote or small and need the signal strength of AM. For my money it could go away but there are powerful voices asking for it to stay.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sometimes AM is the only signal that is important. Emergency road conditions for one. Some places are remote or small and need the signal strength of AM. For my money it could go away but there are powerful voices asking for it to stay.
That's an excuse for a bad system. It could be on FM, HD hitchhike packets, cellular, satellite cells, etc. There's no reason for it to be AM any longer.

-Crissa

wh1t3rbb1t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Founders Edition
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Country flag
Yes, No, Yes.

Woah. The back screen can’t play movies while in motion? My kids are not going to be happy on road trips 😬

CyberJay

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck AWD (two), Model Y
Occupation
Oncology Biotech Exec | GOD BLESS THE USA
Country flag
Hi.
AM Radio (yes AM Radio) lover here.

It seems to be just like other Teslas. I've had ZERO problem even though I listen to AM ALL THE TIME.

Basically, larger radio stations like 77 WABC new york have their own app - which works very well tethered to Tesla through Bluetooth. Hooks up right away, works great.

For other Radio stations, IheartRadio app has a TON of stations, and works reasonably well. WOR 710, Bloomberg Radio, etc - ALL Free and works well.

If you have unlimited data plan, then you have nothing to worry about b/c its absolutely enough to listen thoughout the month till next cycle.

AM radio actually sounds better when streaming - no crackling, much better immersive sound (digital) and very reliable.

Hope that helps !

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
That's an excuse for a bad system. It could be on FM, HD hitchhike packets, cellular, satellite cells, etc. There's no reason for it to be AM any longer.

-Crissa
I wasn’t trying to defend it, @Crissa, but to present part of the argument I have heard on the news. Also, in order to fix the problem it is only right and fair that the solution be deployed before what is being decommissioned is mothballed, not after. You offer some options but none of them are nationally operational as far as I know.

MJH

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y
Occupation
First responder
Country flag
The lack of AM radio has been my Tesla gripe for 5 years now. But yes, FM radio works fine most of the time.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You offer some options but none of them are nationally operational as far as I know.
Low power FM, HD, all are allowed to operate nationwide. Satellite is already licensed and could also be used.

AM just needs to be retired, instead of clung to. We have replacements, we should use them instead.

An AM signal uses a signal as wide as 10,000,000 satellite radio signals.

-Crissa

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
The lack of AM radio has been my Tesla gripe for 5 years now. But yes, FM radio works fine most of the time.
This is a big issue for me: radio for Tesla is digital so it drops out if I drive through a tunnel or some other network wasteland (which, sadly, is common near my home). If Tesla were to cache whatever I am listening to when the network feed is disrupted, and starts it back up when the feed is restored (and don’t tell me this can’t be done), I would be fine.
Sponsored