Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP + Cybertruck (soon)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I recently put in my FS AWD order and have since binged the reviews on Youtube and this forum. I've seen a lot of talk about how behind in features the infotainment system is in the Cybertruck lacking core features like FSD and AP among others, that are available in other models.

I'm a software engineer by trade and based on how different the UI/ UX is, it makes sense to me that they have forked the Infotainment system for the other models and are applying a new UI/UX and integrating those core features over time. Eventually they will run parallel to the other models as soon as they catch up.

I've seen people make some interesting claims that the Cybertruck isn't ready for FSD because they need more training data, etc. It seems more logical to me that they are just playing catch up and are prioritizing core features over beta or nice-to-have features.

Does this seem like an accurate assumption?
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I recently put in my FS AWD order and have since binged the reviews on Youtube and this forum. I've seen a lot of talk about how behind in features the infotainment system is in the Cybertruck lacking core features like FSD and AP among others, that are available in other models.

I'm a software engineer by trade and based on how different the UI/ UX is, it makes sense to me that they have forked the Infotainment system for the other models and are applying a new UI/UX and integrating those core features over time. Eventually they will run parallel to the other models as soon as they catch up.

I've seen people make some interesting claims that the Cybertruck isn't ready for FSD because they need more training data, etc. It seems more logical to me that they are just playing catch up and are prioritizing core features over beta or nice-to-have features.

Yes to. your first 2 paragraphs and no to your last one. FSD isn't just software like the infotainment system. It controls the vehicle driving, and thus has to be trained. It is dialed also into every hardware/software system in the vehicle. For example, if your battery is low on SOC the car will automatically reduce speed whether you or FSD are driving. There is no hardware in the Tesla fleet like the Cybertruck; the batteries are new, the structure is new, the wiring is new, the controllers are new, the steering control (sbw) is new, the suspension is new, there is now 4 wheel steering. In fact there is very little that is similar to other Tesla vehicles.

If you are a software engineer then it is likely that you have encountered software that is being designed, architected, developed, tested, and deployed from scratch. And if the application is dependent on data it could take quite a while to decide/agree on the data model, to acquire the data, to tweak the design, to optimize the design, to interact with back end and front end parties, etc. In short, I think that you are underthinking the complexity of the FSD deployment. You sound like an engineer that has worked entirely in the scrum/agile post-design engineering phases where you can slap a new feature onto an existing architecture, debug it, and push it out.

I no longer recall what 'claims' have been made on this forum. I suspect that the larger number of participants here are not automotive systems engineers, or even software/hardware architects, let alone experts in autonomous driving HW/SW. Meaning that they can surmise whatever they want and it won't mean much. Me included. I encourage you to think about the bigger problem.

OP
OP
InsanelyOK

InsanelyOK

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP + Cybertruck (soon)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Yes to. your first 2 paragraphs and no to your last one. FSD isn't just software like the infotainment system. It controls the vehicle driving, and thus has to be trained. It is dialed also into every hardware/software system in the vehicle. For example, if your battery is low on SOC the car will automatically reduce speed whether you or FSD are driving. There is no hardware in the Tesla fleet like the Cybertruck; the batteries are new, the structure is new, the wiring is new, the controllers are new, the steering control (sbw) is new, the suspension is new, there is now 4 wheel steering. In fact there is very little that is similar to other Tesla vehicles.

If you are a software engineer then it is likely that you have encountered software that is being designed, architected, developed, tested, and deployed from scratch. And if the application is dependent on data it could take quite a while to decide/agree on the data model, to acquire the data, to tweak the design, to optimize the design, to interact with back end and front end parties, etc. In short, I think that you are underthinking the complexity of the FSD deployment. You sound like an engineer that has worked entirely in the scrum/agile post-design engineering phases where you can slap a new feature onto an existing architecture, debug it, and push it out.

I no longer recall what 'claims' have been made on this forum. I suspect that the larger number of participants here are not automotive systems engineers, or even software/hardware architects, let alone experts in autonomous driving HW/SW. Meaning that they can surmise whatever they want and it won't mean much. Me included. I encourage you to think about the bigger problem.
You are absolutely right. That was my oversight. I’m conventionally speaking a full stack developer not a feature developer. While I understand machine learning and AI I haven’t had the opportunity to spend a lot of time in that area, however I do deal with a lot of data in my applications as the companies I’ve worked for are largely data companies.

Thank you for clarifying.

HyperReality

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CB650f
Country flag

Could be drive by wire. The back wheels are set.up turn differently depending on the speed. Likely needs to be factored into how.the vehicle operates.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Let's go to the OP's question

Am I Assuming Correctly? - Cybertruck Infotainment Lacking Features
There may be a few issues around the rear monitor and headsets, but that's all believe is missing.
Sponsored