ituner-HF

First Name
Andrei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S, X and 3, Waiting for Cybertruck
Country flag
Wow the steering moves so fast at low speeds!. Could this be a steer-by-wire setup?

Sponsored

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
This doesn’t really show anything that requires steer by wire. Hope it does have steer by wire as well, just not sure the video shows anything other than a fantastic turn radius.
Maybe it's just the PLAID steering option.....

Tesla Cybertruck Am I looking at steer by wire? Notice the fast steering what-do-we-need-more-power

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Those wheels seemed to turn quicker and effortlessly. They seem to snap left/right rather differently to what my eyes expect.

I reckon steer by wire.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Although I do not know (am guessing like everyone else),, it would not make sense for the CT 4-wheel steering system to use any mechanical linkage; it will have to be steer by wire. This of course opens up all kinds of fun things such as trailering, speed-dependent steering, etc, some of which Elon has adhered to already. Time will tell.

Albern

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevrolet Volt, 202X Cybertruck Plaid+ (x2)
Country flag
Good observation. Keep in mind that purse steer-by-wire has yet to be adopted into FMVSS and ECE - unless they've been allowed or Tesla is working on the technology anyway in absence of regulatory approval. From the video above and at the Giga Austin event it does look like the quickness of the turning wheels look that of an RC car.

Musk has acknowledged the benefits variable ratio steering especially with the yoke, but said that it will be challenging.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Wasn't the Toyota BZ4X announced with steer by wire already? And what about all the vehicles that have been approved for autonomous driving using geo-fencing? Wouldn't they pretty much have to be steer by wire?

https://www.cybertruckownersclub.co...e-tesla-add-steer-by-wire-to-cybertruck.4060/

Maybe not. I am not convinced that the NHTSA has approved or disapproved of SbW systems. They initiated a study:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.gov/files/documents/13502_812576_steerbywire.pdf

to evaluate SbW systems and their compliance with ISO 26262 (functional safety of vehicle electronics), and they considered by 'total' SbW systems (no mechanical redundancy) and partial SbW systems that retain the mechanical redundancy. Tesla, Toyota, etc. could retain the steering column for emergencies but rely mostly on the SbW system. I suspect that in emergencies the rear wheels wouldn't be able to steer. Just a guess.

Do you have a link to an FMVSS that specifically precludes SbW systems at the present time? The first link I provided only talks about safety of such systems.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Drive-by-wire is still a case-by-case exception.

But there's no requirement for rear steering to be anything particular, so it is almost certainly drive by wire.

Current Teslas with FSD and Autopilot do not have drive-by-wire, it is not required for - and in fact may be detrimental to adoption of - Advanced Drive Assistance Systems (ADAS). Having a mechanical linkage means you can easily have confidence you can override the computer.

-Crissa

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Begin on Page90.
Build a reverse order network diagram of the 81 safety requirements. Group requirements by NHTSA categorizations:
* General SbW System – 18 requirements
• SbW Control Module – 16 requirements
• Driver Steering Input Sensor – 8 requirements
• Driver Feedback Assembly – 6 requirements
• Steering Actuator Assembly – 13 requirements
• Power Source – 6 requirements
• Communication System – 6 requirements
• Interfacing System – 3 requirements
• Rear-Wheel Assembly – 3 requirements
• Mechanical Backup Steering Assembly

Advise lawyers which to challenge as DoNotApply and task enginneering with the rest. Handoff to QoC to lab/bench/field test. Any questions RTFA and repeat.

WA-CyberDriver

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck - Dual Motor
Country flag
Wow the steering moves so fast at low speeds!. Could this be a steer-by-wire setup?

Hmmm... Watching the right rear wheel on the initial turn, I'm not observing 4 wheel steering. Am I missing something?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Hmmm... Watching the right rear wheel on the initial turn, I'm not observing 4 wheel steering. Am I missing something?
Some of the prototypes don’t seem to have rear wheel steering or it’s disabled.

Also, it doesn’t take a ton of turning on the rear wheels to make a big difference. You really don’t want the rear wheels to mirror the amount of turning on the front.
Sponsored