Another comparison

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
The CT will be somewhat bulletproof. But so what? When is someone going to shoot at the occupant through the door?

This just in. It's a quote from a news report about a Florida man who shot at a car-thief driving off from a car-wash in the man's Mercedes:

"The two bullets pierced the drivers-side door, mortally wounding Reyes Bermudez, reports say.
Prosecutors cleared Lott of any wrongdoing under the Stand Your Ground Law."

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
The CT will be somewhat bulletproof. But so what? When is someone going to shoot at the occupant through the door?

This just in. It's a quote from a news report about a Florida man who shot at a car-thief driving off from a car-wash in the man's Mercedes:

"The two bullets pierced the drivers-side door, mortally wounding Reyes Bermudez, reports say.
The problem here is that the thief had the opportunity to get into the car and then drive off. One of the things I am really looking forward to with the CT is the protection from theft that comes with the solid exoskeleton and the strong transparent "glass". I've seen so many Tesla cam videos of people walking up to cars, breaking through the windows, and stealing stuff out of the car. The CT should make this a MUCH more difficult task. And as long as the doors are locked while driving, car-jacking should be much less of an issue.

Now, if you are getting out of your vehicle and handing someone the keys somewhere like at a car wash or valet, seems like the Tesla phone app should allow me to just shut the car down so it cannot go anywhere if the vehicle leaves the premises or starts being driven in a less than safe manner.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
The problem here is that the thief had the opportunity to get into the car and then drive off. One of the things I am really looking forward to with the CT is the protection from theft that comes with the solid exoskeleton and the strong transparent "glass". I've seen so many Tesla cam videos of people walking up to cars, breaking through the windows, and stealing stuff out of the car. The CT should make this a MUCH more difficult task. And as long as the doors are locked while driving, car-jacking should be much less of an issue.

Now, if you are getting out of your vehicle and if the vehicle leaves the premises or starts being driven in a less than safe manner.
"... handing someone the keys somewhere like at a car wash or valet, seems like the Tesla phone app should allow me to just shut the car down so it cannot go anywhere...."

I wondered about that after reading another current news report -- about the "splitting battery" -- of a Tesla that crashed at 100 mph -- after being stolen from a dealership. Other details weren't given.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Another possible idea would be to have the car take over driving, lock the perp in so they cannot escape, switch to robotaxi mode, and then drive to the nearest police station.

Man, once robotaxi is a thing, there will be so many interesting new things that can happen. It's going to take the world a while to adjust to the new possibilities. And I look forward to hearing all the creative ways that people use their Teslas in these currently bad situations.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
My father was wrongfully shot and killed by a police officer that way.

...And that's disgusting. He wasn't standing any ground, he was firing into a neighborhood. That car could have killed someone once it was damaged or the driver was disabled.

-Crissa

PS, apple news links are not good urls; they don't work on all platforms and expire, too.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
My father was wrongfully shot and killed by a police officer that way.

...And that's disgusting. He wasn't standing any ground, he was firing into a neighborhood. That car could have killed someone once it was damaged or the driver was disabled.

-Crissa

PS, apple news links are not good urls; they don't work on all platforms and expire, too.
I was just reporting on a case where bulletproof doors suddenly seemed meaningful. No intention of provoking an overreaction.

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
I don’t care especially for the “bulletproof” stuff. To me that just means it can take a thrashing. It will probably still not be an “armored vehicle”. But it might be a plus for police etc.

Regarding the possibility to shut down the car in the app, I haven’t tried, but can’t you turn on Valet mode and/or limit the max speed in the app? To 5 mph? ?
Sponsored