Anti yoke folk.. you have a fallback option.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
All this debate over the yoke on the ct being not great for low speed maneuvering like when loading and maneuvering a trailer or when parallel parking in the city, got me really thinking about what i would choose if given the option between yoke and regular wheel (which it sounds like there will be an option for either).

I have come to the conclusion that i would choose the yoke because i am curious about it, it seems more modern and usable once you get used to it, and i think it will add value to them 20 yrs down the line if i ever felt like getting rid of the ct (which i don't think i would).

But this brings me to the point of this thread... I've been wondering if, after receiving delivery of my yoke ct, whether Tesla would sell the traditional wheel as a serviceable part. Cause then that would be my fallback if after months i really could not get behind the yoke, specifically cause I'm doing a lot of low speed maneuvering in the city with parallel parking and the like.

Still not sure if these parts are available to customers through service centers or elsewhere, but it seems there are companies at least producing aftermarket yokes for traditional wheel models. There is at least one company producing aftermarket traditional wheels for Tesla. I'm sure there are others out there with more options available.
https://www.tesplus.com/model-3-y-steering-wheel.html

Essentially, it's an easy diy part swap if you have regrets after you've lived with it for a while and decided you can't live with it anymore.

Part swap from traditional wheel to yoke shown below. Not hard at all.

I have a feeling, given either traditional wheel or yoke replacement parts options directly from Tesla, the yoke would be the more expensive part replacement. So if you are thinking you'll most likely end up swapping out, it would be cheaper to get the yoke from factory, and then buy the cheaper replacement traditional wheel later on to swap out.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jeepster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep, 2002 Porsche 911
Country flag
All this debate over the yoke on the ct being not great for low speed maneuvering like when loading and maneuvering a trailer or when parallel parking in the city, got me really thinking about what i would choose if given the option between yoke and regular wheel (which it sounds like there will be an option for either).

I have come to the conclusion that i would choose the yoke because i am curious about it, it seems more modern and usable once you get used to it, and i think it will add value to them 20 yrs down the line if i ever felt like getting rid of the ct (which i don't think i would).

But this brings me to the point of this thread... I've been wondering if, after receiving delivery of my yoke ct, whether Tesla would sell the traditional wheel as a serviceable part. Cause then that would be my fallback if after months i really could not get behind the yoke, specifically cause I'm doing a lot of low speed maneuvering in the city with parallel parking and the like.

Still not sure if these parts are available to customers through service centers or elsewhere, but it seems there are companies at least producing aftermarket yokes for traditional wheel models. There is at least one company producing aftermarket traditional wheels for Tesla. I'm sure there are others out there with more options available.
https://www.tesplus.com/model-3-y-steering-wheel.html

Essentially, it's an easy diy part swap if you have regrets after you've lived with it for a while and decided you can't live with it anymore.

Part swap from traditional wheel to yoke shown below. Not hard at all.

I have a feeling, given either traditional wheel or yoke replacement parts options directly from Tesla, the yoke would be the more expensive part replacement. So if you are thinking you'll most likely end up swapping out, it would be cheaper to get the yoke from factory, and then buy the cheaper replacement traditional wheel later on to swap out.
Thanks for posting this video, it is great - and informative!

SAVFPV

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
All Black Model Y LR, Beast w/ FSD Reserved @ 1149
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Looks really natural with zero learning curve! I will probably miss resting my hand on the top of the wheel, but after a short time of driving my new CT I'm sure in time it wont even be a memory...

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
I am springing for FSD, so my optimistic hope is that Tesla hits level 5 for a majority of use cases and the wheel is mostly decorative anyway.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I don’t care either way so if an option, will pick the cheapest path. If option is the same, will pick the yoke since I would bet it will add to the classic resale value.

In thirty years, my grandchildren can poke fun at the yoke while they use holographic controls.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
What about a clipover full circle steering wheel with a few bolts in the back to attach it to the yoke? Available as an accessory.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Lots of neggativity here. Until you've actually felt the yolk in your hands, you really don't know what it's going to be like. When you get your truck, you'll have plenty of time to chick out the yolk and make up your mind. Unfortunately, we won't know what it's like until we've shelled out a lot of cash, but it's probably not as bad as you eggspect.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Lots of neggativity here. Until you've actually felt the yolk in your hands, you really don't know what it's going to be like. When you get your truck, you'll have plenty of time to chick out the yolk and make up your mind. Unfortunately, we won't know what it's like until we've shelled out a lot of cash, but it's probably not as bad as you eggspect.
Puntastic

OP
OP
Throwcomputer

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Ive got an open mind with the yoke. Only thing I'm worried about is having to parallel park a lot in the city. Got years before this will even be tested in reality and have options if I decide I just don't like it. That was my point... there are options if people just decide they really cannot get on board with it after the fact. Personally, I would not want to add on any bolted on bridges/etc. I'd rather just do a full swap if I were to do it. And I'm sure there will be plenty of barely used tesla original steering wheels on ebay from those who decided to upgrade to yoke themselves.

Stinkd

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Prius V5, 1948 Bus, Mercedes SL500
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I hope I can take my hands off of the yoke, take a sip of coffee, change the tunes on my LCD, and not worry about the wheel moving, and be able to concentrate on these tasks successfully before grabbing the wheel again

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

Killjoy666

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
IT Security
Country flag
Hmm, I've got an idea, what about a snap-on Round Wheel, like for the old Wii Controller :-D?
Sponsored