Any of you Southern Californians heard of Salton Sea? Sounds promising...

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
Been there and the dried up part looks like a salt lake.

It's so toxic that only the hardy tilapia survives. Mono Lake is more toxic. No fish survive there but I don't know the mineral composition of the lake.

I hope so too but they said there is enough of lithium in Nevada.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
There's hot springs and solar there so they don't need to import energy, too, which makes this very promising.

They need to develop an extraction method that doesn't consume water like open air evaporation, but they're working on it.

If they do, the US will be self-sufficient in Lithium.

-Crissa

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Salton Sea is a strange place. The surface of the sea is about 225' below sea level. It a massive environmental disaster. In 1905 farmers were trying to set up canals from the Colorado river to an area in the desert called the Imperial valley, so they could grow crops in the desert. There was an accident, and they diverted water from the Colorado river into a low dried lakebed for 2 years. That created the Salton Sea. It's about 33 miles long by about 10 miles wide. There's no flow of water so over the years it's gotten more and more salty, to the point where it killed most of the millions of fish they had stocked in it. Palm Springs/ La Quinta resorts are about an hour drive away, and in the 1950's while the lake was still alright to boat and swim in, Land developers built the town of Bombay Beach, and promoted it as the happening spot to go to play in the desert. Unfortunately the Sea got salty to the point it started killing fish and nasty to swim or operate a boat in. The town dwindled down to almost no people. Then over the last few years it's becoming a bit of an oddity strange art community.
I was in La Quinta in February and we took a drive out to Bombay Beach. Also, there is a large off road area in the hills above the western side of the sea. My 2 sons and I rented quads and played out there one day.

Tesla Cybertruck Any of you Southern Californians heard of Salton Sea?  Sounds promising... bombay_drivein

Tesla Cybertruck Any of you Southern Californians heard of Salton Sea?  Sounds promising... bombayplane

Tesla Cybertruck Any of you Southern Californians heard of Salton Sea?  Sounds promising... quadboys

Tesla Cybertruck Any of you Southern Californians heard of Salton Sea?  Sounds promising... salton-sea-ca-scaled

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Last edited:

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
It's a fun place, out of season for us until fall though. It's a billion degrees right now. The lake also offers us unlimited PCBs and other pollutants thanks to Mexico.

Tesla Cybertruck Any of you Southern Californians heard of Salton Sea?  Sounds promising... 1658163432862

Tesla Cybertruck Any of you Southern Californians heard of Salton Sea?  Sounds promising... 1658163440844

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Here's a good teaser of what the Salton Sea is. Basically it's a major mess that was created by us humans. And it's going to take an incredible effort to fix this mess.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The lake also offers us unlimited PCBs and other pollutants thanks to Mexico.
What? That's a ridiculous statement. Not only is it upstream from Mexico, any industrial base along the border would primarily support an export market to the US.

-Crissa

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Crissa, I really like a lot of conversations with you, but sometimes you really post something super confident without any research or knowledge on it, as if it's knowledge. This is not a dig or attack, but being honest. You sometimes don't seem to know that we can't all know everything.

New River is a river in North America that flows north from Cerro Prieto, Mexico, into the Salton Sea in Imperial County, California, United States. The current river channel was formed in 1905 when the Colorado River and heavy rainfall flooded several dikes in the Salton Sink. New River is one of North America’s most polluted waterways, causing environmental and health problems. The river is also a source of conflict between Mexico and the US because of the strict environmental protection laws imposed by the United States. The river’s flow is mostly industrial wastewater, municipal discharge, and agricultural runoff.

The New River is one of the many rivers and streams in North America that empty into the Salton Sea. The river is 125 kilometers long from its source in Cerro Prieto, Mexico, to its mouth in the Salton Sea in the Imperial County in southern California. It flows through Mexicali City (Mexico) and Calexico (USA) on its way to the Salton Sea, where it discharges 18 cubic meters of water per second. The New River channel and the Alamo River channel were created by the 1905-1907 flooding that formed the Salton Sea, thus the name “New River. The New River watershed is part of the Salton Sea basin, a transboundary basin that includes Mexico’s Mexicali Valley and the US Imperial and Coachella Valleys.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Also, I've spent hundreds or maybe thousands of days around and on Salton Sea. Been going there since the 70s and have seen the history as well as continuing to read about the current problems. I'm there and talk to the locals a whole lot. I could spend hours talking about it and barely scratch the surface of the politics and bullshit going on, and how much of an environmental threat it is while being mostly unknown.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Also, I've spent hundreds or maybe thousands of days around and on Salton Sea. Been going there since the 70s and have seen the history as well as continuing to read about the current problems. I'm there and talk to the locals a whole lot. I could spend hours talking about it and barely scratch the surface of the politics and bullshit going on, and how much of an environmental threat it is while being mostly unknown.
Maybe mineral discovery will dig up the mythical lost sailing ship that supposed landed in the Salton during higher water years in a prior time period! LOLs

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Relayer1956

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Chemical Engineer
Country flag
The Salton Sea (SS) has nothing to do with the Lithium resource in the SS Known Geothermal Resource Area (SSKGRA). The Lithium resource is from deep (~8,000 ft) geothermal wells associated the the San Andreas fault zone as it side steps to the east in a highly fractured zone underneath the south end of the SS. The resource may be capable of producing a few hundred thousand metric tons of Lithium Carbonate Equivalent (LCE) per year. World supply is approximately 500,000 mT/yr of LCE. The SSKGRA area will provide a substantial percentage of domestic demand. It’s a development effort that started with Simbol Materials. Tesla offered $325M for Simbol but the deal was not successful. The technology is being further developed by the geothermal energy companies (Berkshire Hathaway Energy Renewables, EnergySource & Controlled Thermal Resource) in the SSKGRA.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
The lake also offers us unlimited PCBs and other pollutants thanks to Mexico.
If the Mexican maquiladora factories raised prices to cover pollution abatement on products supplied to the large U.S. corporations
AND
If the Mexican Federal government was effective in enforcing pollution regulations

I wonder how many nano seconds before the large U.S. corporations canceled future orders and moved purchases/factories to Bangladesh?
Sponsored