Any other pickups considered before reserving your CT?

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I am curious if members considered any other pickup trucks, ICE or BEV, before placing a Cybertruck deposit. Here are mine in “lust factor” order;

#1: Cybertruck (Dual Motor on order)
#2: Rivian R1T (digging the 800HP quad motor drivetrain)
#3: Ford Raptor (have wanted one since the 2nd generation debuted in 2017)

Tesla Cybertruck Any other pickups considered before reserving your CT? 1A60E8C0-2ED5-4292-8547-CF70A8AF7922

Tesla Cybertruck Any other pickups considered before reserving your CT? 6C897970-8B10-497B-81DA-239CF801273B

Tesla Cybertruck Any other pickups considered before reserving your CT? 349D0301-6751-4EAC-AAE3-054E00BA1CEE
Sponsored

Last edited:

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Sure, I thought about getting another F150, or a Chevy this time around, I kinda like the aluminum body on the Ford, but it was a shitload of dough. Silverado was cheaper, so I was leaning towards that, when all of a sudden, November 21st happened. They had me at stainless steel. I thought, the dude's got balls of stainless steel to make this truck. Finally, a car manufacturer with the guts to do something truly different, as in way better. One life, one truck.
Cybertruck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mini2nut

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
The stainless steel monocoque body sold me as well. Then I found out it was 3mm (roughly 1/8”) thick. Holy crap!!! My first thought after viewing the reveal was this: is Tesla really serious about building this indestructible pickup?

My #1 and #2 vehicle ownership pet peeves have virtually been eliminated. Paint chips from road debris and door dings from inconsiderable A-holes. Someone finally listened!

Tesla Cybertruck Any other pickups considered before reserving your CT? 7DA20D77-48E8-4910-A3F6-798BDC6368FC

Tesla Cybertruck Any other pickups considered before reserving your CT? 11459AE9-80DA-4E45-821F-033474754CAD

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I was looking at imported Japanese EV trucks.

Since Hino is finally trying to bring full sized ones to the US (And the damn Chinese Pickman-style trucks which are not even worth mentioning) I can't find any pictures of the ones that have been out for the last decade already.

But it wouldn't work for highway use. They had very little range.

-Crissa

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
The Boss Lady was rooting for a new Dodge dually but since the EPA ruined the diesel engine I was not going to make a payment on a $70,000.00 truck that I would have to dump urine in to keep it running. Have to pony up another couple of thousand to render the idiotic emissions systems inoperative did not appeal to me either.
When I saw the CT I instantly knew that it would be the last vehicle I ever buy.

OP
OP
Mini2nut

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I agree with you on today‘s diesel engines. The emission regulations have sapped their amazing torque and they are loaded down with sensors, soot filters, etc. When anything goes wrong it must be diagnosed by a dealerships computer. Be prepared to open your wallet after the factory warranty expires.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Wish list in order of priority (I have reservation for all):
  1. CT2 - Best Bang for the buck but may be too far in future for me.
  2. Lightning Pro - Lowest price compromise I may actually be able to get before other two choices but it will be a tool not something I am excited about
  3. R1S - I like this one a lot but it is more than I want to pay. I have to have a weak moment or a bad diagnosis from the Doc to pull the trigger.
Realistic Backup plan if I can't wait or I realize I will be towing more often and longer distance in future:
  1. Pathfinder
  2. Ridgeline
  3. Frontier
As you can see, I can live with an SUV or a truck. Each have their Pros and Cons for me.

The unresolved issue for me is this: Does an inefficient EV (all top 3 listed) makes sense? Is it better to get something like a Bolt for 90% of my drive and an ICE that can tow for the other 10% or should I have one vehicle and deal with the consequences and compromises that comes with it.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
None.

‘The Cybertruck is not only the most capable, longest lasting EV truck coming, but the most unique. The Riving is nice and has decent features. But the price kills it. For a fully loaded Trimotor price you can get a basic model Rivian. No comparison. F that!

OP
OP
Mini2nut

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I like the Rivian R1T with 800 HP and quad motors. The $67,500 Explorer Package price didn't make sense when you can order a 500 mile range Tri Motor CT for only $3,400 more.

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
Considering? Not really. I have two trucks that I will keep repairing until the CT becomes available. The F250 is easily as strong as most trucks on the road, and equivalent fuel economy to the current 15mpg of modern trucks, and the Dakota is comfortable on the freeway with a bit better fuel economy of 20mpg. I don't have the expendable cash to waste on an interim vehicle.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
When the CT was launched, I'd already decided my next new vehicle was going to be an EV and was just waiting on the prices to come down.

A "Truck" isn't a requirement, I need something for camping, hauling people & their bikes, and occasionally hauling lumber. A truck checks those boxes, but before the Cybertruck there were no truck EVs.

Prior to pre-ordering the Cybertruck, I owned a Toyota Tundra which I just sold recently for a small profit. Its likely if the Cybertruck hadn't come along I'd have just hung onto the Tundra for occasional truck needs until it died.

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
I was really into the Rivian R1S but two things sealed the CT for me...

35" tires
Tesla's charging network

I really don't need a pickup. If Tesla had an offroad capable SUV in the works I'd hold out for that. But I'm all in with CT with a reservation for a trimotor around 25,000th in line.

I plan ongoing to TX to pick it up too.

shaneaus

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy 1500 Z71
Country flag
It took me a month or so to really think about specs vs price.... But, once I finished looking into the numbers there was no other option to consider besides CT2 or CT3...
Sponsored