OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
Lighter gauge metal can be transported by roll. This 3mm Stainless Steel would be transported as flat stock. Probably 10' x4'. I can't stress enough how thick, heavy and hard to work with this stuff is. It's not what people refer to as sheet metal. It's Stainless Steel 1/8" plate stock. Yes it can be rolled to create curvature. That's how they form it to make rockets. But, it would never be shipped in rolls.
You are quite likely correct in that 30X cold rolled SS is likely provided in sheet form. Hot rolled coil steel is available up to 3/8" according to my steel supplier. Only one of his suppliers listed coiled SS with a max thickness of 2.54mm. Time will tell if we ever find out if Tesla and Space X buy sheet or coil stainless steel.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
You are quite likely correct in that 30X cold rolled SS is likely provided in sheet form. Hot rolled coil steel is available up to 3/8" according to my steel supplier. Only one of his suppliers listed coiled SS with a max thickness of 2.54mm. Time will tell if we ever find out if Tesla and Space X buy sheet or coil stainless steel.
I'm a retired Sheet Metal Worker and after I made that comment I was a bit concerned, I could be wrong. I Googled it and was amazed to see there are ways to order quite heavy gauge metals by the Coil. Years ago very few companies worked with coils. More and more companies are now using computerized systems that work with coils. Those coils are HEAVY. I heard a story that a Semi showed up late on a Friday and had to leave a trailer loaded with coils at the loading dock. Monday morning the crew showed up to a Destroyed pickup truck, sitting next to the trailer with a coil in the bed. Someone got the bright idea to steal some sheet metal by rolling a coil off the trailer into their truck!

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Boss 302 Mustang, 2019 Ninja 1000, Tri-Motor Cybertruck Preorder
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Exactly this. These will be the quickest, easiest wrap jobs ever. But I intend to keep mine bare-naked no maintenance steel.
I might end up doing some wraps depending on how many Cybertrucks are around here. Perhaps just some decals.

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Living in the desert. Metal in the sun gets hot. Really Hot! Someone suggested that the polished surface would reflect the heat. But where I live you can leave a crome tool in the sun for a few minutes and it is too hot to pick up. The Taunnu cover that came with my pickup was black and I had to paint it with white "Cool Roofing paint. Made a huge difference. Even thought it might look bad I might consider doing the same to the CT.
Make sure to get the solar upgrade for the CT ;)

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I assume the retractable door handles will not be manufactured entirely from stainless steel. They would be extremely hot (and expensive) to the touch if parked outside during the hot summer months. Maybe just the outer skin will be laser cut from 3mm stainless steel sheets to perfectly match the 3mm thick exoskeleton. It’s hard to tell from this low resolution night time photo. Being that the CT is a production vehicle they are probably a plastic composite that’s simply painted to match the exterior.

6406793E-E1DB-4853-A91F-B899EF8C0CA4.jpeg
Looks like 3mm stainless stuck to plastic to me.

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
While I have nothing but my own experience with regards to metal in the sun getting hot, I would think that it would be even worse being matte black and the thickness of the metal being able to store more thermal mass. (Hope I’m saying that right) If you leave it in camper mode to keep it a certain temp wouldn’t that be more of a drain on the battery?

CTM

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cybertruckinmag.com
Vehicles
Chevy Van
Occupation
Cybertruckin Magazine contributor
Country flag
I will probably wrap a portion of the CT to customize it specifically for me.
Besides, when it’s next to 5-10 others in a parking lot I will know which one is mine.
:cool:
It’s the one that says “Bad Motherfucker”

Aerojet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
It certainly would make it cooler on a hot day.
It certainly would make it cooler on a hot day.
I’ve been to the vintage trailer show in Palm Springs many times, 95 ‘ +
temperatures. many airstreams, all different, the coolest ones are painted white on top not polished. Check it out , real fun !

Bigfoot DeLorean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
Country flag
Hell Yea! .... What are they thinking! ... I love the rough off road look better than "a prissy"... "OMG a scratch" ... "What would my friends think?" ... "Now I got to buff it out again" ... "get real!" ...
The cyber truck is made for work, & bad-ass, roughnecks, rednecks and beatniks!
It is made to get scratched, hammered, and shot up...
All other Tesla's are made for those that love their "polished car" ....
now now...you can be a bad ass roughneck and still have an immaculate garage. The Navy is full of bad asses, yet they keep their equipment polished.

It’s more of an add vs ocd brain wiring. CT certainly accommodates the “ keep it messy” crowd, but nothing wrong with hitting it with 409 and a microfiber every other day if it makes you happy.

i have both, so you never know what you’re gonna get with me ?

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
No way man, I don't want my 3 mm exoskeleton to turn into a 2 mm exo from too much polishing. I'll take it just as it rolled off the factory assembly line, thank you very much. I admit, it looks pretty cool, but Cybertruck is going to draw enough attention as it is...

drag0nfish27

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck
Occupation
network engineer
Country flag
Updated with polished Cybertruck rendering by @GBall

Tesla Cybertruck Polished Mirror Finish.png

Polishing stainless steel to a mirror like finish takes some effort, even more so than aluminum because it's a harder metal. A small Airstream travel trailer will take roughly 200 hours of labor. Anyone plan on going this route instead of a custom wrap?

23AA9F02-4BE0-4465-9A55-7B2F63BF5057.jpeg
FBE90728-90DE-41CE-94B8-ECAE1FB87507.jpeg

drag0nfish27

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck
Occupation
network engineer
Country flag
That would look ridiculously awesome. I might have to buy two CT's now! One to mod out and one to keep stock.
Sponsored