Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

Aptera has embraced the yoke in their design, taking advantage of the slim look and to give up all the space in the cabin to the humans who will exist inside.

Something interesting: The center console is a web of bungee cord, allowing a modular use of the limited space. Once again, giving more room to the people living in it, instead of regimenting the space in a bulky console.

Lots of leg room, too.

-Crissa
Sponsored

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I still don't get why the Aptera didn't go in a tandem sitting arrangement if they are chasing range and efficiency. Halving the frontal area halves the drag.

Deleted member 5322

Aptera has embraced the yoke in their design, taking advantage of the slim look and to give up all the space in the cabin to the humans who will exist inside.

Something interesting: The center console is a web of bungee cord, allowing a modular use of the limited space. Once again, giving more room to the people living in it, instead of regimenting the space in a bulky console.

Lots of leg room, too.

-Crissa
Don't see any single reason why would I want it....
Sorry, it just reminds me a poor interior of WV Golf about 1990

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
I still don't get why the Aptera didn't go in a tandem sitting arrangement if they are chasing range and efficiency. Halving the frontal area halves the drag.
I imagine it is a compromise between useful and efficient and safety. Clearly a motorcycle is more efficient but unsafe and pretty useless outside its intended purpose . 4 wheels are safer and more
adaptable useful. Aptera is in between and it will never be a thing outside of niche oddity, in chasing hyper efficiency it makes compromises that are unnecessary. Electric cars are all efficient, it costs very little to fill them. Having a super long range is also not that useful, people think it is but they are perfectly happy driving a 300 mile ice car. The actual problem with electric cars is not range or efficiency, it is recharging speed and charger availability.
Therefore the cars with the fastest recharge or the most available chargers with 250 -350 miles range should have the most utility per dollar and sell the most. A car company must sell many cars to exist. Aptera will never sell many and will not exist and anyone that buys one will end up without service and support.
@Crissa I don't hate aptera, I'm attempting rational analysis.

Deleted member 5322

What was the point of your post?

Don't know any car with such nice seats or touch screen UI in 1990.

-Crissa
The point is the design of interior is so poor. There is no design. Use two colors, the simplest bucket Seats and two screens - even the beginner would make it better. The central console ( or whatever you call them) are from the 80s. Even Prius has a better one.
@Crissa, sorry, nothing personal. Just my opinion. You like it - good for you. I like Lucid design and how they make the interior. Don't compare price, compare approach.

Edited grammar

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I imagine it is a compromise between useful and efficient and safety. Clearly a motorcycle is more efficient but unsafe and pretty useless outside its intended purpose . 4 wheels are safer and more
adaptable useful. Aptera is in between and it will never be a thing outside of niche oddity, in chasing hyper efficiency it makes compromises that are unnecessary. Electric cars are all efficient, it costs very little to fill them. Having a super long range is also not that useful, people think it is but they are perfectly happy driving a 300 mile ice car. The actual problem with electric cars is not range or efficiency, it is recharging speed and charger availability.
Therefore the cars with the fastest recharge or the most available chargers with 250 -350 miles range should have the most utility per dollar and sell the most. A car company must sell many cars to exist. Aptera will never sell many and will not exist and anyone that buys one will end up without service and support.
@Crissa I don't hate aptera, I'm attempting rational analysis.
Hey Dids.
I mentioned this a few times before, but my position has always been from a purely utilitarian and physics based standpoint, that there should really only be 3 road going vehicle classes.

1) a tandem two seater tadpole trike that can achieve >50Wh/mile
2) a van/CT with at least 6 seats up to 12 or so at 300-400Wh/mile
3) full size truck/semi at <1kWh/mile

The reasoning behind this is that at capacity each vehicle class can achieve around 50Wh/mile per person. Theres a reason why this metric becomes important when you consider overall utility, in that most passenger miles are by a single person etc, and that means many 4 wheeled vehicles are simply transporting 10x more vehicle mass than and useful load (being a passenger) of vehicle.

The other thing is that at highway speeds the frontal area of any vehicle, and the slipperiness of its shape are the primary causes of consumption. The overall cD value of many EV's are already approaching physical limits given the geometry and feature constraints of a 4 wheeled sedan layout, even with a Aptera. But a single person wide tandem 2 seater trike can be 1/5th of the frontal area of a Model 3, and an 1/8th of the weight reducing rolling resistance in urban traffic etc as well.

The only meaningful way to reduce consumption further if most CD optimisations are already on the limit is to reduce frontal area. The most effective overall reduction however is by optimising the overall packaging to the most effective form to transport the most common load of 1-2 passengers.

I agree that range above 300miles is mostly subjective if you have a decent charger density. But this calculation is more about effective and efficient resource use for transportation. As such a side by side seating configuration is still sub optimal, as it repesents maybe only a 30% frontal area reduction compared to a M3 together with a better Cd. A tandem seat arrangement could have halved that again without any significant loss of utility.

Plus it would have allowed two vehicles for split lane in urban driving, would double existing parking, and small enough it could even be single mould cast etc. All running off a 15kWh battery for 300miles. Think of it as a safe, comfortable alternative version of an enclosed recumbent trike ebike. One that can completely recharge from an L1 charger in 5 hours, from a L2 in under an hour.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Don't see any single reason why would I want it....
Sorry, it just reminds me a poor interior of WV Golf about 1990
Well, I think it's a great vehicle. Biggest single reason? You could drive it and never have to charge it. With the high efficiency (due to light weight, carbon fiber body) coupled with built in solar, you could be driving the vehicle of the future that may never need recharging !!! It's also very sexy.

OP
OP
Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
An Aptera will be able to charge at many times the speed of other EVs because of the efficiency. My motorcycle charges at 17 miles an hour - from a 15a outlet. The Aptera will ne able to do that and DC quick charge at amazing numbers.

And this is just one interior color pattern, of three. They'll have a white and blue and a black and orange color sets as well. They're not as big as Tesla and so won't hit the level of efficiency in cost that having only one color set would gain.

-Crissa

Last edited:

Deleted member 5322

Could does not man it is!
And works only in California, Arizona, and other sunny states. It does not work in Canada or northern states.
BTW, what the problem to charge up your car?
Should we all sell our Tesla's just because they need to be charged?

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
And works only in California, Arizona, and other sunny states. It does not work in Canada or northern states.
No, it's just nice to know there are other choices. I like Aptera. It doesn't mean I'm going to buy one though. For some people, it will be the perfect choice.

OP
OP
Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Why wouldn't it work in other states?

They have roads, and sun. The air is not going to make it less aerodynamically efficient?

-Crissa
Sponsored