Article: CyberTruck has a HUGE problem, needs a FULL REDESIGN...

Startreknerd

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Medical Clerk
Country flag
it's a completely retarded bash article. I read 20 seconds and realized 19 seconds too late it was paid for by legacy auto.
I thought so as well, and blocked Fast Company after my news aggregator suggested it.

Although since that TikTok video with the two carriers came out there is a clear problem with panel alignment. It might just be a matter of alignment and not panel sizing. But either way it needs to be fixed.
Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Although since that TikTok video with the two carriers came out there is a clear problem with panel alignment. It might just be a matter of alignment and not panel sizing. But either way it needs to be fixed.
the core of that "problem" is people incorrectly saying or believing that these are some sort of 'production' units. there's even widespread miss-belief that these may be headed to showrooms as first-impression models.

if any of that were true, then yes, the CT *would* appear to need a deep redesign because if these units represent near finished saleable products that are as dialed-in as Tesla can manage, they are a f'ing mess

but that conclusion is reached only by the incorrect premise that these are remotely production-ready builds

they're not

the hopium-sellers are painting Tesla into a false corner by incorrectly suggesting these units are 'production' models or that 'production is ramping up' or 'we're close to retail deliveries'

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
But WHY did you 'just leave it here'? Do you believe them? And if you do, WTF are you doing on this forum? It is one thing for Elon to say that the surface roughness shows any imperfections, but we have all seen many images of the Cybertruck release candidates and they look pretty damned good, so Elon's comments are about perfection and not about functionality. If he instead said that any surface imperfection adversely affects drag and thus the range of the vehicle, or added noise, instead of sticking out like a sore thumb, which is simply visual, that would have been a more significant statement. That the designers-of-old are still harping on the 'origamiesque' appearance of the Cybertruck simply tells me that they are staking their reputations on the failure of the Cybertruck. Personally, I hope that they all go down in flames. I love the Cybertruck and I have never owned a car or truck that had no surface irregularities.

But to return to my premise, where do 'you' stand. You post something without presenting a position, and that dilutes any position you might have except the one that agrees with the article.

Last edited:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
This is the kind of ignorance and inability to think outside the box. Just like the stock analysts, everything is judged based on how the legacy companies have done it. Sure, flat F150 panels would be a mess, but CT isn't using panels with the same thickness as an F150. And when you use a panel as a stressed member, you don't get the same vibrations or flutter. And the more stress, the less the panel wants to move from an outside force.That email hasn't been acknowledged as an actual email from Elon. Until then, there is a possibility that he actually didn't write it.

Haters gonna hate
But it does sound like something he would say, and how he would say it, don't you think? Taking off on that as the haters that wrote the article did (and, we have to acknowledge, this is what virtually 'all' YouTubers do) is wrong, but I do believe he wrote the memo.

Startreknerd

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Medical Clerk
Country flag
the core of that "problem" is people incorrectly saying or believing that these are some sort of 'production' units. there's even widespread miss-belief that these may be headed to showrooms as first-impression models.

if any of that were true, then yes, the CT *would* appear to need a deep redesign because if these units represent near finished saleable products that are as dialed-in as Tesla can manage, they are a f'ing mess

but that conclusion is reached only by the incorrect premise that these are remotely production-ready builds

they're not

the hopium-sellers are painting Tesla into a false corner by incorrectly suggesting these units are 'production' models or that 'production is ramping up' or 'we're close to retail deliveries'
Yea they could be testing vehicles still. But if so why tape the hoods?

wtibbit

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes sedan, Corvette coupe, Yukon XL
Occupation
Retired Engineering Program Director
Country flag
Not so long ago, I was a program manager working on engineering development projects. We had to test products during the first production run phase when only a few articles were available for testing and some were obviously flawed in one way or another. For each test, we carefully chose articles that had flaws that couldn't affect the test to be performed on that article.

I suspect the CT's with imperfect panel gaps are being shipped to undergo testing or other efforts that wouldn't be affected by cosmetic flaws.

wtibbit

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes sedan, Corvette coupe, Yukon XL
Occupation
Retired Engineering Program Director
Country flag
The article isn't off base if you assume tesla is building these trucks in a regular assembly line with regular structures.
What was that little saying about "assume" and asses?

Art O'Connor

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), 2010 Chevrolet K2500HD PU
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Country flag
Teslas (including CT) are not high end Porsches. I don't expect the fit and finish of a Porsche. All I want is for the doors and windows to open and close with ease and no wind noise. If there is a millimeter or two of reveal difference, I can live with that for all the other features not available anywhere else, even on Porsches. I happen to really like the angular design. The reason other vehicles have curves and embossments is they use thinner metal and they need those "stiffeners". The SS on the CT is thicker and stronger. Just stretch a piece of AL foil across two supports and place a small load on it. Boom! All fall down. Now take that same AL sheet and fold it into an accordion. Place it across the same supports and it will hold the load.

Arctic_White

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S Plaid; CT on order
Country flag
it's a completely retarded bash article. I read 20 seconds and realized 19 seconds too late it was paid for by legacy auto.
Yup!

The fact that the hit pieces are out already means that the legacy automakers are really scared.

Their cash cow is being threatened so I'm not surprised.