Article: It's becoming increasingly clear Tesla is just another car company -- agree / disagree?

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
Thank you @cvalue13

I can only clarify by being frank: you’re asking a nonsensical question
I don't disagree. But I'm not the only one asking it. Google the question or similar variables of it and you'll find lots of questions and answers but none from manufacturers.

ICE drivers want to know the answer regardless of how nonsensical it maybe, but they are not getting answers from the industry.

Again, for the 3rd or 4rh time I don't think it's a big deal. I know most charging is at home, and I know it's only going to be in some odd circumstance that a person is going to NEED to charge up quickly while in town. But people want to know what they will get when they need that quick charge, so I just feel like we should be able to provide answer given a known vehicle and popular commercial charging options.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The comments about charging in 3 secs are snarky and so unrealistic I didn't know if I should take it as a joke or not. You have to unplug. How much range did you get in those 3 seconds?
It takes 3 seconds to plug in the car. Since I do it at home it doesn’t matter how fast it charges. I’m doing something else. Often sleeping. Definitely not inhaling toxic fumes at a gas pump.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
It takes 3 seconds to plug in the car. Since I do it at home it doesn’t matter how fast it charges. I’m doing something else. Often sleeping. Definitely not inhaling toxic fumes at a gas pump.
You are missing the best part regarding fumes

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Maybe if I sniffed more fumes the love affair with gas stations would make more sense.
The secret is the convenience store and the junk food available unbeknownst to my wife.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
How’s the new Y treating you?
Do not have yet. Delivery window is between January 24th and February 7th.

Wall charger due to be delivered tomorrow, installation tentatively scheduled January 28. I am updating my entire panel and setting up two concurrent level 2 chargers. Still need to charge my Volt. (Gave volt to my son)

I am currently in a wait pattern, Tesla will let me know next steps ( when to give the money) Funding is secured. Pending quote from Tesla insurance waiting on a vin number. I am currently with State Farm.

Tesla sent me a link to a Teams meeting on next steps. I will attend but, do not think i will learn anything new.

I have some interest in accessories. I will wait until car is received.

1. Rubber floor mats throughout
2. Silicone insert for cup holders, makes it easier to clean
3. Unsure if I want a hub for the center console
4. Misc organizers to be determined
5. Maybe replacing the hubcaps

Basically, the car cannot come quickly enough.

I am planning a driving trip to Utah to prove to my wife, do not worry about range anxiety. (Don’t tell her we were originally going to fly to go to a wedding)

I tend to ramble when I am bored waiting

My wife claims she is not jazzed but, she has told all her friends and talks about it more than I do. She also identifies all the models instead of asking which model is which.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
edit: *appreciate accessory suggestions

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I love the rubber floor mats from Tesla on mine, also the rubber mat for the rear storage area, we Live in the country, drive to random forest locations, and put dirty things and people in our car. We want it all hosable.

Tesla gave us a free winter kit with mud flaps and some skin to protect the paint around the wheel wells. Not sure if it’s still free, but if you drive in snow or gravel roads like I do it is a good thing to add to the car to protect the paint along the door. I waited too long and have some tiny chips.

I didn’t do much else, base is solid. Might get the cup holder things though, they sound interesting.

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I acknowledged the filling up at home multiple times. My question pertained to having to add some quick miles when not home.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Hehe… just received message VIN is available. Every time I mention a task here, Tesla does the action quickly afterwards.

Hmmm….

I am waiting on Cybertruck delivery notification… (hold hands in the air)

(shakes hands… it will work)

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
@SpaceYooper

what are your specific questions?
My only question was how many miles can one get in a quick 5 minute stop if needed while on the road (not to be confused with a road trip) just somewhere in town?

There have been some good answers provided, but I don't think I've seen any that addressed the ramp-up time when plugging in. I didn't see much about this online either. I just can't imagine it's completely linear. I'm assuming the charger doesn't jump right into its max charge rate. So how many miles can realistically be added in just a few minutes?

I understand there are many variables; size of the battery, size of the charger, level of charge already in the battery (As previously stated we can assume in this NEED case, you're running very low.)

I don't think it's a real big concern, but it gives the consumer an easy comparison since ICE vehicles fill up in a few minutes. My own experience with my 32-gallon F150 is that I filled it in 3 minutes from basically empty to full. Give me a minute to park, get my wallet out and pay, and then another minute to put the pump back and roll out. So 5 minutes. Maybe I got a fast pump that day, but it also does not take me a full minute to park, and pay, nor a full minute to put the pump back and leave.

Incidentally, I was asking the question because I think it's worth advertising (for the EVs that do that). Right now the only thing they advertise is stats like one can get 200 miles in 15 minutes. Nobody cares about that, because most people charge at home. So tell the consumer if they are running low and need to get home, they have nothing to worry about because they can get 50 miles (or whatever the range is) in a quick 3-5 minute stop that will cost them about $1.

Last edited:

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
My only question was how many miles can one get in a quick 5 minute stop if needed while on the road (not to be confused with a road trip) just somewhere in town?
It is impractical to think of a shorter stop than 15 minutes of charge and depending on many acknowledge variables, the mileage received is a wide range. If going to a super charger, I am confident you can get a few miles added use where I “think” you desire additional range.

If new to pure electric, there still needs conscious effort with distance travel or if daily travel typically exceeds one “tank of gas” use.

As to advertising a message, many caveats would need to mentioned in the messaging example. I would message the expanding supercharge network and how it fills a working portion of the battery for get back on the road quickly use.

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
It may be impractical, but it's being asked a lot and not just by me. EV advocates, dealers and manufacturers should answer the question truthfully and hope it doesn't turn the potential convert away. If the answer is only a couple miles, then remind them how rare it will be, (since they can basically fill up at will every night at home) so wait a couple more minutes and they'll be good to go.

By not providing an actual number and instead changing the conversation while essentially telling the consumer their question is dumb, it's going to be a turn-off. There's no harm in telling the truth and if the answer isn't sufficient, then give a solution, like waiting a few more minutes on this potentially rare occasion.
Sponsored