shocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt, Silverado,
Occupation
Retired scientist
Country flag
I used BART extensively in the early 80's (Walnut Creek to Berkeley commute) when I lived in CA. Anything changed since then?

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
In an aside: "First of all, fā€”k Elon Musk, I don't need him in my life."

Sigmund Freud : You reaaaaallllly want this guy, don't you?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
"There's a little bit of this 'elected officials just don't understand transit, they just want to cut the ribbon, they want the Hyperloop, they want the photo with Elon Musk,'" she said.

In an aside: "First of all, fā€”k Elon Musk, I don't need him in my life."

But her larger point was less about Musk than the need to stop referring to real-life people in the hypothetical.

"I think what I see a lot of times ... is that we are talking about hypothetical Black and brown people, we are talking about hypothetical essential workers, and we are not actually getting to know the people who are really impacted by these services," she said.

"What elected officials do get right is that they cannot be single-issue people," she added. "... In order to become truly electable, I needed to ... build true compassion with actual human beings."
Scoring cheap points, but I think Elon would agree with her larger position: The systems being built need to work for how you use it. Not just to be pretty.

He makes an easy villain as a rich guy who spouts off on Twitter, but when it comes down to it, he's not some jet-setting Bezos. He has always found a new R&D to sink his money into. His investments aren't financial instruments, they're flesh and blood and machines companies trying to make real things from what is merely plausible.

-Crissa

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I do not appreciate anyone using such language in a public forum. I cannot imagine a context where that would be acceptable. The good news is that BART board directors can be removed from their positions. Hopefully there is an explainable context where that comment is acceptable, but I cannot accept it. I was riding BART every day until the pandemic began and I have had many criticisms of BART over the past 6 years of commuting to the east bay daily. I would say: "get your house in order before moaning about others" to Janice Li. But in the short term lets get her off the BART board...and I told BART so a moment ago.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
This is the Bay Area. It's fine for once in awhile.

We also allow toplessness on the street and have nude beaches, tho that's more a local secret.

But in the short term lets get her off the BART board...and I told BART so a moment ago.
So you want to remove the person who wants to fix BART? Seems like that would be against your goals.

-Crissa

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Scoring cheap points, but I think Elon would agree with her larger position: The systems being built need to work for how you use it. Not just to be pretty.

He makes an easy villain as a rich guy who spouts off on Twitter, but when it comes down to it, he's not some jet-setting Bezos. He has always found a new R&D to sink his money into. His investments aren't financial instruments, they're flesh and blood and machines companies trying to make real things from what is merely plausible.

-Crissa
He's kind of become our generations Howard Hughes. Which I applaud. More billionaires did what Musk does imagine what we could accomplish as a country.

DryCabin

First Name
Jeanna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck pre-order.
Occupation
Medical
Country flag
" But in the short term lets get her off the BART board...and I told BART so a moment ago."
It seems short sighted if her goals are worthy. It sounds like the quote was totally taken out of context.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
This is the Bay Area. It's fine for once in awhile.

We also allow toplessness on the street and have nude beaches, tho that's more a local secret.

So you want to remove the person who wants to fix BART? Seems like that would be against your goals.

-Crissa
I like to think that the Bay Area, or any area, has people speak sensibly (not me of course, but I am not on the BART board of directors). I expect it, so if Janice Li has something to say about Elon Musk, or anyone, publicly, I expect it to make sense. She can say whatever she wants at home.

There is toplessness and nude beaches everywhere. Is there a point here?

I have many goals, as do you, but I have to question someoneā€™s goals if they feel the need to say things like that, in that way, publicly, about anyone. I only hope that there are more people that want to fix BART than that.

bmckee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline, Tesla Model 3, Cybertruck (Soon)
Occupation
IT
Country flag
" But in the short term lets get her off the BART board...and I told BART so a moment ago."
It seems short sighted if her goals are worthy. It sounds like the quote was totally taken out of context.
Just because her goals are worthy, does not mean she is capable of helping attains such goals. It's obvious she is limiting our possibilities with her hatred.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
If you give me a context where those 3 words, spoken publicly, by a high-visibility official, are ok, then we can maybe start over.