TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
For reference, the Model Y pack did NOT have the large space above the batteries:

So this space is different than the past, whatever its purpose.
Sponsored

Cougs

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
collector chevy K20, cybertruck asap
Occupation
Coach
Country flag
EXP-6 4850 lbs/6834 lbs not heavy and EXP-4 about 2100 lbs. I agree with you is to clean it up. When you order the trailers you can customize it the way you want it.

Speedr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor Cybertruck
Country flag
We'll know more in a few days once Monroe releases what they find in the pack. Do we even know the size of the cells in the Cybertruck? Are they 4680s? Or larger?

On conference calls, Tesla has specifically mentioned V2 cells that are physically larger (i.e. taller). If they're already taller, than I don't think there's a lot of room for improvement except for adding silicon (i.e. 10-20% more energy density and range). If they ARE 4680s, then between added height and silicon, you could see a meaningful increase.

OP
OP
TheLastStarfighter

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
We'll know more in a few days once Monroe releases what they find in the pack. Do we even know the size of the cells in the Cybertruck? Are they 4680s? Or larger?

On conference calls, Tesla has specifically mentioned V2 cells that are physically larger (i.e. taller). If they're already taller, than I don't think there's a lot of room for improvement except for adding silicon (i.e. 10-20% more energy density and range). If they ARE 4680s, then between added height and silicon, you could see a meaningful increase.
Did they say taller? I thought they just had greater density. If they do plan for taller cells, that would explain the space in the pack.

GuyV

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, FS Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If tesla improve the 4680 energy density by 10-20% are they going to reduce the number of battery cells in the pack or are they going to offer it to its customers by improving the range by 10-20%??

Either way we will get better batteries with faster charging capacity?? I know that the early Model Y made in Austin with the 4680 batteries were really bad and not better than the 2170.
They are going to offer it to its customers by increasing price by 10-20%. 😁

DumpsterFire

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Mouth Breather
Country flag
Early adopter penalties piling up
Lots of early adopters also having tons and tons of fun with truck right now!

Feel free to wait. I totally get it. Meanwhile, I’ll be out here rallying the shit out of my truck. 😂😂

Last edited:

BayouCityBob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3
Country flag
What you will find is that 300 miles range is plenty for you in real world use. 99% of the time, you will barely dent it and for those long trips, there are enough Superchargers out there to make it a non-issue.

Too many people still have range anxiety and don't understand Tesla's solutions to the problem. I'm a two EV family right now and I have no problems jumping into one of my cars and going essentially anywhere.

I've travelled from Atlanta to Orlando many times (500 miles) and my trip times with charging is around 0-15 minutes longer than that in an ICE.
Sorry. but posts like this are just exasperating. Most of us here have been driving EVs for many years. I have #6 & 7 in the garage. We know with great precision how much range we need for where we drive with our type of loads in the sort of weather we experience on the routes we take. And, NO, 300 miles is not "plenty for us" even if you say so with your expert opinion because, after all, you have both a model 3 and a model Y in suburban Atlanta and if that is good enough for you it ought to be good enough for us.

Eye roll.

GuyV

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, FS Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I am getting my Cyberbeast with whatever range I can get to drive around and not tow and when they increase the range to 400-500 range in a year or two then I upgrade the pack for say $10K. Is this reasonable or realistic to you guys? or is it going to be offered by tesla to existing customers?
If Tesla is charging Model S owners $20K+ for new replacement 90kWh packs one can imagine what they will charge for something meaningfully larger than 123kWh. :rolleyes:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
And, NO, 300 miles is not "plenty for us" even if you say so with your expert opinion because...
Eye roll indeed, since your claims are kinda empty.

You wanna pay 2x as much for 2x range, sure, maybe then Tesla should make them. Until then, though...

-Crissa

Cougs

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Coach
Country flag
Sorry guys I was hoping that the battery replacement would be affordable like $10K in the future because of the production cost is going down fast. Apparently I may be wrong but hopeful.

BlueLightning

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 ⚡
Country flag
Munro & Co. have begun their teardown of the Cybertruck battery.

GKLwWH-WkAEwqPm.jpg
GKLwWIEXwAAkf4I.jpg

Interestingly, there is a lot of space above the cells. It doesn't appear to be enough for another layer, but it is a curious amount of emptiness. Is it needed for cooling? Could the originally-planned double-stacked pack be achieved with an only slightly taller pack?
Why sell a full jar of olives when you can take out three and sell the jar at the same price?

FutureTruck

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX P, Lucid Air GT
Why sell a full jar of olives when you can take out three and sell the jar at the same price?
Except in this case you can't see inside the jar and the larger jar is a problem.
Bigger battery and range coming.

Cougs

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Coach
Country flag
Do we know what the function of the empty space in the battery pack?
Sponsored