JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
collector chevy K20, cybertruck asap
Occupation
Coach
Country flag
I am happy with the truck and proud of tesla employees for making it but you guys keep forgetting that I can state my opinion and you do not need to tell me take it or forget it. I am a long long term share holder way when Tesla was struggling and can have an opinion. I am not saying bad stuff about tesla, I am just saying that we need more options and it is my opinion. You have an opinion and I respect that.
Sponsored

Cougs

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Coach
Country flag
You don't know Elon (or Tesla) if you suggest that they move with the competition.

Tesla sets the standards.

Tesla's research has found that 300 miles is the magic number. If you make a vehicle below that, people say that it doesn't have enough range, above it and the range is okay. And there's the sales of a few million Model Ys to back that statement up.

As an about to be an EV owner, you've got range anxiety. You are not quite sure what driving an EV means, it's normal.

Not much I'm going to say is going to impact your range anxiety. But I will say that problem any number isn't going to be sufficient for you.

But in reality, the 300+ range is going take you most everywhere. Tesla has Superchargers all over the place. And where there's not Superchargers, there's J-1772 plugs, slower, but will get you there.
If you haven't looked at Plugshare.com, take a look. Take a look at Supercharger | Tesla

What you will find is that you get in the truck hit the right button, say "Navigate to ***" and the truck will take you there. With FSD, the truck will literally take you there.
I agree that 300 miles is a good number but show me any delivered cybertruck achieved the 300 miles or even close. All cybertruck owners reported much lower range.
Elon is the best entrepreneur and inventor in the world and likes to be the best no question. If someone put in new product to compete with tesla he comes up with new thing. Competition drives his ingenuity. That is what I am saying and sorry my statement above was not clear.

BannedByTMC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
You go back and watch the Cybertruck reveal.
I don't need to, maybe you do, and please post the part where the word "promise" was used. Anyone following Tesla for as long as you claim to have been knows that goals are aspirational and not always met. It's beyond obvious that battery energy density for the 4680 pack fell far short of what they had hoped.

BannedByTMC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I agree that 300 miles is a good number but show me any delivered cybertruck achieved the 300 miles or even close. All cybertruck owners reported much lower range.
Except for the people on this very forum who reported getting 300. Anyone familiar with EV's should know that estimated range is only achieved in certain conditions, especially with Tesla who uses the most positive correction factors for EPA testing.

Jethro

First Name
Jethro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (on order)
Occupation
consultant
Country flag
It is a good question. All the pictures of the extender are renders, which might have been a poll or fake-out. Tesla's done it before, tho not so blatantly.

-Crissa
YES! Good observation and I hope this is the case. I NEED the range for towing AND boondocking power. There are just not many practical sources of power in the Mountain/desert West. I signed up for the extender but hate it’s in the bed (why not under the back seat) and must be installed/uninstalled by service. We are so desperate we are shamefully and reluctantly looking at a generator!
I see the profit motive as a significant factor but not an absolute. The CT did not need several expensive features like 4WS or tri motors. Range/power is a deal breaker for some making the Silverado/Hummer very attractive.
I would give up my extender deposit AND/OR reservation spot for more integrated power.
Thanks to everyone’s thought on this “powerful” discussion.

Last edited:

BannedByTMC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I would give up my extender deposit AND/OR reservation spot for more integrated power.
Don't hold your breath. The battery pack tear down showed there isn't much room for added capacity without eating into the safety factor, and it would need a different cell form factor than the 4680.

Worth noting that the original structural pack renders did not have the reinforcing bars we are seeing in the CT pack. If at some point Tesla felt they could remove those and fill that area with cells maybe they could get closer to 400 miles but no where near 500. Again, don't hold your breath.

Cougs

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Coach
Country flag
Except for the people on this very forum who reported getting 300. Anyone familiar with EV's should know that estimated range is only achieved in certain conditions, especially with Tesla who uses the most positive correction factors for EPA testing.

Out of Spec. reported 243 miles at 70 miles highway speed and 254 miles including the buffer. From 123 KW (100 % charge) used 119 KW it was 244 miles.

The environment was 700 feet elevation optimum temp no much wind nor elevation. Charged the cybertruck to 100 % that took him so long (Kyle claimed 4680 as not efficient at charging).
Efficiency was: 2 miles per KWH

Problems:
1. No one will charge the cybertruck to 100 %
2. No one will drive the cybertruck until it dies.

Cougs

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Coach
Country flag
Okay, done:

-Crissa
You used third party reporting, I use the people that did the testing out of Spec.

Out of Spec. reported 243 miles at 70 miles highway speed and 254 miles including the buffer. From 123 KW (100 % charge) used 119 KW it was 244 miles.

The environment was 700 feet elevation optimum temp no much wind nor elevation. Charged the cybertruck to 100 % that took him so long (Kyle claimed 4680 as not efficient at charging).

Problems:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
You used third party reporting, I use the people that did the testing out of Spec.

Problems:
Why are you using an older test in inclement weather? Why are you moving the goalposts from 'no one' to 'but people don't use all the range in a

And apologies for grabbing the first link, and not digging to the timepoint here.

Just accept you were wrong and exaggerating, it happens, it doesn't need to be an ego thing.

-Crissa

Jethro

First Name
Jethro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (on order)
Occupation
consultant
Country flag
Don't hold your breath. The battery pack tear down showed there isn't much room for added capacity without eating into the safety factor, and it would need a different cell form factor than the 4680.

Worth noting that the original structural pack renders did not have the reinforcing bars we are seeing in the CT pack. If at some point Tesla felt they could remove those and fill that area with cells maybe they could get closer to 400 miles but no where near 500. Again, don't hold your breath.
Just wishful thinking…5+ is a long time to dream. I may build may of my own systems. I see OEMs getting creative here…plus big batteries/regen braking in trailers. I have Electric snowmobile and UTV on order. Buying in to the whole E-universe in case I go to Mars…

Cougs

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Coach
Country flag
YES! Good observation and I hope this is the case. I NEED the range for towing a trailer AND boondocking power, There are just not many practical sources of power in the Mountain West. I signed up for the extender but hate that it’s in the bed (way not under the back seat) and must be installed/uninstalled at a service center. We are so desperate we are shamefully and reluctantly looking at a generator.
I see the profit motive as a significant factor but not an absolute. The CT did not need several expensive features like 4WS or tri motors. Range/power cavan be a deal breaker for some making the Silverado/Hummer very attractive.
Thanks to everyoe’s thought on this powerful discussion.
Exactly.

The extender is just a promise that tesla is making (like the 500 plus range) It is not available now so how long is going to be to make it 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, 4 years, then cancel it because Tesla figure out a better batteries than the 4680 and integrate those ranges in the main pack. Please do not argue otherwise because other forms are discussing what is going on with the extra space....tried different battery size and did not work, will make larger size batteries in the future (like Rivian is doing). Where is the next move going to be....you do not know..they do not tell you.

Trbizwiz

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 RWD, Dodge Challenger
Occupation
Logistics
Country flag
The plate above that has ripples in it for structure. It still needs structure as they're assembling it.

There also needs to be expansion space, so that gasses can escape during a collision or failure.

-Crissa
I am wondering if they could fit a double stack of 4680 cells in there, if they went to a different bottom lid that is 4 inches deeper. IT seems like the cells would fit int he structural pack that bolts to the truck, just fine. But the bottom lid/skid plate is not quite deep enough. Personally Id rather give up 4 inches of ground clearance than half the bed.
I also dont think we would need a full double layer. 30% to 40% more battery would give the truck the needed range to be a great road trip truck. Maybe not a towing truck, though. Probalby need 80% to 100% more cells for that.
360 miles real highway speed range (roughly 420 EPA), would give roughly 220 miles of range between 20% and 60%, which is the ideal supercharging range. I think with this configuration, you could drive 3 hours at highway speeds, between supercharges. Supercharging that range should only take 15 minutes
This is encouraging on all points. Yes, I have a RN113 # and won’t see an order invite till December but think of all the improvements/ information available by then. Did Tesla create this space intentionally only to offer taller batteries at a later date ? They are offering the range extender for $17,000. But maybe that is just to check the market demand for more miles and they will bait/switch to a taller battery for only $10k??
Maybe the range extender bolts in place of the skidplate/bottom lid? Maybe they showed us the bed mounted range extender as a diversion. Making the Cybertruck battery pack modularly updateable, would be pretty awesome. A full double stack would only add 3 inches.
Sponsored