Blue light badge illuminate when FSD engaged.

Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I posted about this earlier, read the replies, and still have seen no good reason that a low light blue illumination of the Tesla badge is a bad idea when the vehicle is engaged in FSD. From the YouTube videos posted on the beta testing I have seen, people honking and getting pissed when a FSD enters a unique intersection it needs to take time to evaluate before moving and other drivers could be aware your vehicle is engaged with FSD. I believe it could help others be more patient in the infancy of the feature. Possibly have an on off switch that the driver could override the notification light if necessary such as when on long highway drives but in town and congested parking areas it could only help both drivers.
Sponsored

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
‘Color‘ as a term of art in interface design should only be used to attract attention, discriminate or act as warning.

FSD drawing attention from other drivers when illuninated? Announcing FSD vehicles by illumination on streets? Warning FSD vehicle in transit?

How does any of that increase margin of safety, enhance AI efficiency or robotic discrimination? Blue light badge illuminated is just plumbing pipes on the outside of walls humblebrag.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I could see how it would make it less safe, as other less conscientious road-users would cut around the robot driver, knowing that it'll avoid them.

Also, blue is a reserved color in both law and trademark.

-Crissa

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
I agree with not having a light indicate FSE active.

To address the OP's thought of how it might help with others having patience for AI's decision making, we could go old school and put a "Student Driver" sign on the car. Update it a little and have it say "AI Student Driver". :)

OP
OP

Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Like last time, still no reasonable debate not to have the blue illumination light when under FSD. Watch the beta FSD Beta 10 on YouTube host Rob Mauer with zero interventions and put yourself in the car behind his FSD model Y, if you're not shot at or in a fight by the time you get to your destination on a busy day it would be a miracle. Give simple courtsey to other drivers to alert them, very simple, very easy, and would be very effective.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Like last time, still no reasonable debate...
Reasonable debate is,
"Describe what useful thing people can do with this information."
"Describe what negative things people can do with this information."
"Describe why you think A is necessary and B is not harmful."

But so the discussion seems to be 'you would like to know' and 'you don't think anything bad would happen'. That's not reasonable, no.

-Crissa

OP
OP

Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
We have lights to tell others when we are parked, when we turn, when we stop, when we are driving at night, when we are broken down. What is the issue with a simple blue illuminated light that warns others that BETA testing FSD is engaged. It's absolutely a no brainer, and still no legit reasons why it would not help having others know your car is currently driving itself?

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
We have lights to tell others when we are parked, when we turn, when we stop, when we are driving at night, when we are broken down. What is the issue with a simple blue illuminated light that warns others that BETA testing FSD is engaged. It's absolutely a no brainer, and still no legit reasons why it would not help having others know your car is currently driving itself?
Hi Greg, sorry that you didn't get the dialog you were hoping for. For years, I've thought it would be good to have some light/badge on the back of cars when they are in cruise control. Where I live in Southern California the speeds of vehicles can vary 70 mph in a matter of a mile or two. With virtually no rhyme or reason to it. If everyone had accurate cruise control, and used it, these bottlenecks could go away.
Like others here are saying would also happen. The impatient drivers would possibly see your light on and get even more pissed off and drive around your vehicle. There's a video of an automated Waymo Taxi in Arizona that can hardly get moving in a parking lot because everyone ignores it. Pedestrians walk in front of it and other drivers go around it in frustration, because it's afraid to move. So in some cases it's better to be incognito.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
If the only reasonable discussion is one where we all agree with you then I can see why you would bring it up again. It is fine to bring it up again regardless of the reason.

There are lots of good reasons to not advertise [anything] on your car, but they all boil down to variations on the theme that most people driving cars aren't good at it and/or cannot be trusted. In a perfect world everyone that drives would follow the rules, keep a good distance between themselves and other cars, use signals, etc., but they don't. In a perfect world there wouldn't be road rage, coal rolling, iceing, etc. but there is. So no, I would not advocate to advertise that I am using FSD but you can and best of luck with that.