Body repair

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
thechez.car.blog
Vehicles
Honda Insight, Fort Explorer, Sebring-Vanguard CitiCar, Bicycle, nuCamp T@G, Tesla CyberTruck
Occupation
'mercan
Country flag
How hard is it to damage the body? If two cyber trucks run into each other at 100 mph, are we just pulling out a buffer from our cybertruck body repair kit? Will actual damage to the body be more of something to be proud of how “macho” you are, that you’ve been able to pull of such an impossible feat?

Tesla Cybertruck Body repair 7493812B-B61E-4623-B457-DCDDD7FB354C
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
At a 100mph we would be taking the trucks to the recycler. If we weren't, we'd be hosing the driver out of the inside.

Now for a slower impact, one that only consumes the crash bars, they'll have to be cut off - and the outer skin as well - and it could be just welded back together.

It won't be cheap or simple, and it'll be an interesting problem. Will our trucks gain scars of buffed steel where the damage was? Shinier pieces as new metal replaces old?

Think the Mandalorian as he replaced his Beskar armor with new pieces...

-Crissa

Deleted member 5322

It is going to be my first car I would not worry about scratches on the body :D

Lives2TruckAround

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'92 Jeep Wrangler and 22’ Model Y
Occupation
Retired young/Business Owner
Country flag
Honestly, I wouldnt worry about it. I have a Ford Escape Titanium currently and Im saving for my cybertruck. (Jeep guy at heart soooo you already know my wants and needs). I hate seeing dings all over m Ford because I was planning on selling it.

I cant wait for the CT because I just think to myself "ok a**holes, sure ding my Tesla cuz 1. Ill capture you on film and 2. I can take a friggin sledge hammer so you'll probably do more damage to your car than mine (insert evil laugh)."

ScoobyDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck/ F150
Country flag
A thought I was pondering.... with it being an exoskeleton and carrying all the stress on the outside. I wonder if insurance companies writing it off as totaled in crashes that a body on frame car would not be, becomes more common. Here me out, ponder this thought...

Say there is a side impact on a body on frame truck, its bad enough that it damages the bed but no damage to the frame. They repair/replace the damaged body parts and you're set. But for the Cybertruck the body is the frame, so any damage to the body becomes frame damage and the added expense that the repairs must return the truck to its original safety standards and capability. So any body damage that does occur could become extremely expensive to repair.
I realize dents and dings from golf balls, people opening doors, runaway grocery carts, fender benders etc.. should be nonexistent. But I wonder after it crosses the threshold to actual damage, how quickly does that cost skyrocket.
Guess we won't know until it happens..... anyone want to test it for us once they get theirs?
?

OP
OP
Team Platypus Deathmatch
First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
thechez.car.blog
Vehicles
Honda Insight, Fort Explorer, Sebring-Vanguard CitiCar, Bicycle, nuCamp T@G, Tesla CyberTruck
Occupation
'mercan
Country flag
A thought I was pondering.... with it being an exoskeleton and carrying all the stress on the outside. I wonder if insurance companies writing it off as totaled in crashes that a body on frame car would not be, becomes more common. Here me out, ponder this thought...

Say there is a side impact on a body on frame truck, its bad enough that it damages the bed but no damage to the frame. They repair/replace the damaged body parts and you're set. But for the Cybertruck the body is the frame, so any damage to the body becomes frame damage and the added expense that the repairs must return the truck to its original safety standards and capability. So any body damage that does occur could become extremely expensive to repair.
I realize dents and dings from golf balls, people opening doors, runaway grocery carts, fender benders etc.. should be nonexistent. But I wonder after it crosses the threshold to actual damage, how quickly does that cost skyrocket.
Guess we won't know until it happens..... anyone want to test it for us once they get theirs?
?
I’m sure consumers union would be glad to crash the vehicle and complain about poor safety standards because the car didn’t alert you when you took your eyes off the road after crashing.