Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Tesla releases findings from Model 3 police patrol car test
Fred Lambert
- Dec. 7th 2021 7:50 am PT

@FredericLambert

Tesla Cybertruck Brakes and Tires last how long? Tesla-Model-3-police-car-UK

Tesla has released findings from its test program of a Model 3 that the automaker custom-built as a police patrol car in the UK.

Several electric vehicles, especially Tesla vehicles, are becoming increasingly popular with police departments and emergency services.

Any type of use that requires a lot of mileage is going to benefit greatly from going electric with important gas and maintenance savings.

We previously reported on the Bargersville Police Department in Indiana, which purchased several Tesla Model 3 vehicles. It found after the first full year of using the Tesla Model 3, they had already saved over $6,000.

In most cases, police departments purchase the Model 3 vehicles and modify them to turn the electric cars into police patrol cars.

But earlier this year, Tesla decided to build its own Model 3 police cars for testing at police departments in the UK.

Tesla Cybertruck Brakes and Tires last how long? Tesla-Model-3-police-car-UK-hero

Now Max Toozs-Hobson, account manager and emergency services lead at Tesla, said the vehicles have now been in “initial trials with the police” for nine months that they have been “getting some great results.”

He shared the findings on LinkedIn:
  • It’s achievable to do over 200 miles of Blue Light advance driving with the Model 3. The average blue light run in the UK is about 7-15 minutes, The longest run in our cars has been over 4 hours on active deployment under advanced driving conditions.
  • The auxiliary systems have minimal impact on range, ANPR for 3 hours would take less than a few mile of range off the car. LED lights could run for days off the battery pack.
  • Chill mode & speed limiting allows the cars to be limited, allowing the possibility for split crews to drive the car on shift allowing for all officers to utilize the car.
  • Light bars are like running with a parachute! Integrating lights into the car cabin does not affect our drag coefficiency and requires no holes to be drilled into the roof which has a negative affect on the cars residual values.
  • Charging on shift works! last week I joined a traffic unit who got into the car with just 80 miles of range. We stopped at a V3 Supercharger and gained 70% power in less than 20 minutes. This gave us another 5-6 hours of driving for the shift. Plus this fill up cost less than ÂŁ20.
  • Public response to seeing our active units has been mind-blowing, the press articles have been positive as well. As an engagement tool we’re seeing incredible results.
  • Brakes wear has been minimal, after 10,000 miles of driving the first set of pads still had 15-20% use still in them. Tires are the same as I.C.Es and need replacing at around 8,000 miles.
  • After 15,000 miles the only maintenance has been brakes and tires, no annual service schedules mean minimal running costs, time off the road and competitive total cost of ownership.
  • Tesla software updates and systems offer new ways to police, the ability to send directions to the car via systems such as what3words and Google maps will allow control rooms to send direct directions to a job. Dash cam, GPS tracking & App access offer unique potential to our cars as well.
  • Our delivery lead times and body shop offer industry leading deployment for forces to deploy new units and repair.
Sponsored

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Key points from the article about the brakes and tires:
  • Brakes wear has been minimal, after 10,000 miles of driving the first set of pads still had 15-20% use still in them. Tires are the same as I.C.Es and need replacing at around 8,000 miles.
  • After 15,000 miles the only maintenance has been brakes and tires, no annual service schedules mean minimal running costs, time off the road and competitive total cost of ownership.
So I'm guessing the tire and brake wear is because of extreme police driving? Under normal conditions I'd say that is in credibly fast wear on the brakes and tires.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
We got about 20K 34,366 miles out of the OEM tires on our Model 3 (still seems low to me but on par with the previous Scion xB). Brakes "Practically brand new" at 52K miles. (quote from the place that rotates our tires).

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I’ve heard a lot of people suggest Teslas go through tires fast. Not 8000 miles fast, but faster than most ICE cars due to weight.

The Cybertruck should weigh the same as a typical truck and get fairly normal range out of tires.

Tri-Motorhead

First Name
Clifton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla 3, 2008 Toyota FJ
Occupation
Transportation
Country flag
First set of tires on my 2018 3 lasted 36500 miles, I only changed them as I took a nail 3 different times to the same tire. Could no longer repair the one tire so I replaced all 4. Brakes are still in Excellent shape and show little to no wear.

With the brakes and one foot driving, need to ensure the calipers and other parts are refreshed when required. Brake fluid will spoil after time as well. Just because you don't use them doesn't mean you stop routine maintenance.

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
Definitely not normal driving. My brake pads at 60k miles were barely worn a little. I estimated that they would last me at least 150,000 miles. I have retired 2 sets of tires already. They last me around 21k to 22k miles and I replace them when they get to 4/32” tread depth. I have fun with my Model 3 occasionally, but mostly drive somewhat normally. I say that because you get used to the instant torque and eventually get used to accelerating a little bit faster than normal, and it becomes your new normal. I think the instant torque is the biggest factor in EV tire wear, and it will vary from person to person based on their driving styles.

rodmacpherson

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Security Architect (IT/Infosec)
Country flag
...you get used to the instant torque and eventually get used to accelerating a little bit faster than normal, and it becomes your new normal. I think the instant torque is the biggest factor in EV tire wear, and it will vary from person to person based on their driving styles.
If you want your tires to last longer try chill mode. :)

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
If you want your tires to last longer try chill mode. :)
I don't mind replacing the tires that often. Michelin's treadwear warranty gives me a good discount on the next set. It also feels bad to use Chill Mode because I can feel my car being held back when I accelerate. It feels liberating to be unbridled ?.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Just pulled up my receipts. OEM tires on the 2018 Model 3 lasted 34.363 miles. Cost was $777 (the other option was $1100).

They seem expensive to me, must be getting old. I used to pay $150 ea for 33" BFG Mud Terrains......

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
I use Bridgestone Ecopia 422 plus tires on my electric cars (Leaf, Bolt), they have a 60 or 70k tread warranty. Looks like they will last close to that with my driving. Not too worried about it. 70k+ on Leaf now and original brakes are still going strong! Hoping this experience will transfer over to Cybertruck.

Oh, and the $150 name brand all terrain tires are long gone, more like $250-300 per tire or more.

EDIT: I expect I will use all terrain or "rugged" highway truck tires on the Cybertruck, not Ecopias. I'll be interested to see if someone comes out with a more efficient all terrain tire!

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Key points from the article about the brakes and tires:
So I'm guessing the tire and brake wear is because of extreme police driving? Under normal conditions I'd say that is in credibly fast wear on the brakes and tires.
I hope they aren’t looking for safety scores…I almost never use my brakes.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Just remember to put heavy braking somewhere in your driving pattern so the surface of the rotor reglazes. Otherwise you'll loose more to air corrosion than friction. Practice some emergency braking every couple weeks or so.

-Crissa
Yes, had to replace book discs and pads on my Subaru twice because it was not driven enough during the first 18 months of the pandemic.
Sponsored