RandyS

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 Performance, 2021 Model Y LR
Country flag
No, that's how it works (and you'll only get that power level if certain conditions are met, such as type of car/battery pack rev, low state of charge, and adequate battery temperature)...

There is a charging curve built in that tapers from maximum power to prevent overheating the battery...

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
No. That's peak power which can be delivered safely only to a warm (but not too warm) battery at low SoC. The average charge rate is going to be more like 100 - 120 kWh (from chargers that can supply that).

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Presumably. Tesla's capacity is based on their not-quite arbitrary, conservative choices to increase safety. I don't know of anyone managing to identify the component-level of the chargers and know their theoretical maximums.

In other words, we don't know the max capacity of either the stations or the cars - only the speeds they have historically run at.

Tesla has raised the capacity without saying before, when the Model 3 was shipped with 250KW capacity.

-Crissa

uff_da

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Presumably. Tesla's capacity is based on their not-quite arbitrary, conservative choices to increase safety. I don't know of anyone managing to identify the component-level of the chargers and know their theoretical maximums.

In other words, we don't know the max capacity of either the stations or the cars - only the speeds they have historically run at.

Tesla has raised the capacity without saying before, when the Model 3 was shipped with 250KW capacity.

-Crissa
Joe Justice had a story in one of his Youtube appearances about someone updating a cable internally (I think from the charge port to the bms system) to allow the car to get to 250kw. It would be interesting to know how much margin all the different components where designed with for future increases in amperage.

My guess is this for products with larger packs and maybe 4680 packs? I would be surprised if they could magically get that big of an improvement on current cells.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Well, peaks charging is more of a balance issue between the station's coil capacity, how much risk you want to expose the cells, and then the cooling capacity of the internal wiring and battery pack.

Having more time to do more testing will expand the first and second without and hardware changes. As I said, it wouldn't be the first time Tesla was sandbagging for safety. They only get sued if they have to lower the charging speeds post-sale, after all.

-Crissa

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
This is really more substantial news than seeing the CT prototype. This would be an excellent boost for Tesla's already awesome charging network.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
They only get sued if they have to lower the charging speeds post-sale, after all.
Well... They'd also get sued if they set the limit to high causing cars to burst into flames. But I think that might be a slightly different type of getting sued than what you meant. :)

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Tesla is upgrading their V3 Superchargers to 324 kW, roughly a 29% speed increase. That will likely only increase Supercharger stops by a minute or so due to tapering, but a minute saved is a minute earned… or something like that. I’m not sure which vehicle’s this will affect.

It’s likely more interesting for the Cybertruck and vehicles with bigger batteries because they linger at the lower percentages longer so perhaps it’ll help us by more than just a minute or two.

https://insideevs.com/news/562786/report-tesla-v3-superchargers-324kw/

One other side-note. The Cybertruck may have newer “Tesla Silicon anodes“ which will eliminate much of that tapering. Then we’d get to enjoy the full 324 kW for most of the charging cycle which would be awesome.

Richard V.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt 2015
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I think it will be great for the CT.

As for the Tesla Semi here is something VERY BIG from https://insideevs.com/news/561326:

Ref: Check New Photos Of Tesla Semi's Megachargers: The Plug Is Big (insideevs.com)

Extract:

"What we know about Tesla Megachargers so far:
  • megawatt charging output (1 MW or more - potentially up to a few kW)
  • envisioned for heavy-duty electric vehicles, specifically Class 8 Tesla Semi
  • black and white color scheme (compared to red and white Superchargers)
  • about 7-8 feet (213-243 cm) tall (significantly taller than Superchargers)
  • most likely the cables are liquid cooled
  • voltage is expected to be at least about 1 kV
  • due to high power surges, Megachargers are expected to be almost always combined with energy storage systems (Tesla Megapacks)
  • First stations:
    Tesla Giga Nevada
    Frito-Lay’s facility in Modesto, California (customer)"
Now that is a lot of power!

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
No, that's how it works (and you'll only get that power level if certain conditions are met, such as type of car/battery pack rev, low state of charge, and adequate battery temperature)...

There is a charging curve built in that tapers from maximum power to prevent overheating the battery...
I mentioned it above, but Tesla’s new silicon anodes will alleviate this. Not sure if we’ll see it in the first generation Cybertrucks, it might be a few years down the road, but it’ll essentially blow those constraints away. Still be a curve but it will be much flatter and enable megawatt charging speeds.
Sponsored