leducjjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 F150, 2011 Jeep Patriot
Country flag
The media had a fun time with the broken window incident.

However, I would personally like windows that are not nearly unbreakable.

Here is a link to an article that covers the topic quite well.

I'm interested in thoughts by others here also. Please chime in with your ideas and feedback.

Kind regards
John

https://axleaddict.com/safety/My-5-favorite-emergency-window-breakers-for-cars
Sponsored

OP
OP

leducjjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Haha true. Like my beat up F150 usually gets ample room in parking lots because people assume I am trouble.

However I would hate to explain to my daughter that I died because I couldn't kick the CT windows out from the inside and had no assistant available to throw steel balls at the windows.

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
69 BB Vette, 83 Cutlass
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
What if they made the CT to float? Maybe we wouldn't need to kick out the windows then. However, what if we hit a deer? The front bumper would take it's legs out but it looks like the deers body would hit the windshield. I'll take mine extra thick please.

OP
OP

leducjjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Floating would be cool, like the old VW bugs, heh. O the windshield can be tough as steel. It's the side windows I want to escape from.

On a related note, my 9-yr old grandson wanted to know why I had scissors in my glove box. That's to let us cut the seat belts in case the mechanisms jam up in a crash. Paranoid? Hell, I'm planning to buy a vehicle made of rocket steel.

David R Kirkpatrick

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 P100S, Cybertruck ordered
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It was interesting seeing the difference between carbide tip and stainless. Thanks for posting this. I will say that I’ve been driving cars for 54 years and have used seat belts a lot, but never had to break a window. I guess one time could be enough!

OP
OP

leducjjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I commute into Houston on a daily basis. I've seen enough flooding in the last few years to know it doesn't take long to fill up a road or even a freeway with water coming over the roof of a vehicle. If you do an internet image search for "Houston Harvey freeway flooding" you'll see a few examples.

I tend to stay off the roads during heavy rains for that reason but some of these hit pretty quickly and hard without warning. In that case, if I'm stuck in rush-hour traffic on a feeder road (where the flooding is most likely) my vehicle ain't going anywhere until the water recedes. If the water is rushing enough to push the vehicle into a filled ditch then I may be underwater pretty quickly. That's what happened to many of the drivers who had trouble getting out.

Floating CT? Yes please!

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Explosive bolts, blow the hatch. I can dream. I prefer the window strength and kicking the problem down the road on how to escape when I take delivery of the vehicle.
The (hopefully) likely remote possibility, I will be incapacitated and passerby will not be able to break in to extract me if unconscious. I am confident emergency services can extract me.