Kristian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Silverado 2002 HD 6.6Diesel
Occupation
Truck driver
Country flag
It would be great if if we were able to customize the dash for our needs. Use tablet or phone as extra instruments, and add wireless knobs and switches for use with volume control, climate control, mirrors and so on. For some a convenience, for others to overcome a disability. What do you think?
Sponsored

Akgolf

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 and 2022 Tesla Model Ys
Occupation
Retired Computer Programmer, USAF
Country flag
I think most of the functions can be activated using voice control. Don’t think I want to clutter a clean dash.

OP
OP
Kriber01

Kriber01

First Name
Kristian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Truck driver
Country flag
I think most of the functions can be activated using voice control. Don’t think I want to clutter a clean dash.
Thats exactly the point, you should have that option. I would like the opportunity to equip mine with some ekstra knobs and screens , voice commands aren't always practical.

Akgolf

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 and 2022 Tesla Model Ys
Occupation
Retired Computer Programmer, USAF
Country flag
Thats exactly the point, you should have that option. I would like the opportunity to equip mine with some ekstra knobs and screens , voice commands aren't always practical.
Good luck finding someone that can provide this service, I’ll be happy with it just the way it is.

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
Being an IT guy, I honestly do not see this happening. There are *WAY* to many security concerns to allow an API to connect into your Tesla's computer. API = Application Programming Interface, is basically the language that is used to send and receive information between phone/tablet, etc to your vehicles computer. Without getting overly geeky here, there are an incredible amount of ways to abuse this interface to gain back door elevated access into the vehicles computer system. Compound that problem with any other spyware, viruses, malware your phone/tablet/PC might have and it is a recipe for disaster just waiting to happen. It would be cool no doubt but in no way worth the risk of having your Autopilot or FSD compromised in any way that could put you in physical danger.....If you own Tesla stock, you don't want to see this feature. =)

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Devices already connect to Bluetooth and the car. Some functions would be reserved, of course, but that and USB controllers should be a thing.

And yes, it's a security issue. But just saying 'no' is a false sense of security.

-Crissa

OP
OP
Kriber01

Kriber01

First Name
Kristian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Truck driver
Country flag
Being an IT guy, I honestly do not see this happening. There are *WAY* to many security concerns to allow an API to connect into your Tesla's computer. API = Application Programming Interface, is basically the language that is used to send and receive information between phone/tablet, etc to your vehicles computer. Without getting overly geeky here, there are an incredible amount of ways to abuse this interface to gain back door elevated access into the vehicles computer system. Compound that problem with any other spyware, viruses, malware your phone/tablet/PC might have and it is a recipe for disaster just waiting to happen. It would be cool no doubt but in no way worth the risk of having your Autopilot or FSD compromised in any way that could put you in physical danger.....If you own Tesla stock, you don't want to see this feature. =)
Sure but you already do that, and you will have to register devices and equipment from the car. And critical systems should of course not be accessible. I guess a tesla can be hacked and hijacked overe the air anyways, it's supposed to have robotaxi capability.

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
OP
OP
Kriber01

Kriber01

First Name
Kristian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Truck driver
Country flag
I thought more in the line of an extension of the existing tesla infotainment, so that you could have speedometer and thing's like that in front of you. That would free up the main screen for radio and such.

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
I thought more in the line of an extension of the existing tesla infotainment, so that you could have speedometer and thing's like that in front of you. That would free up the main screen for radio and such.
its all available via API, and there is software out there doing this already....https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/smartphone-dashboard.107961/

Elon has said they are due for a UI update, so designing your own display preferences may be an option in the future. I have to believe though that certain objects need to be displayed on the vehicle hardware itself per the law, which is why you can get a ticket for not maintaining your equipment if your speedo doesnt work

OP
OP
Kriber01

Kriber01

First Name
Kristian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Truck driver
Country flag
its all available via API, and there is software out there doing this already....https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/smartphone-dashboard.107961/

Elon has said they are due for a UI update, so designing your own display preferences may be an option in the future. I have to believe though that certain objects need to be displayed on the vehicle hardware itself per the law, which is why you can get a ticket for not maintaining your equipment if your speedo doesnt work
Great, and I guess it's only going to get better. If someone could add some programmable z-wave or BT switches for me, that would be awesome ?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
An accessory speedometer would still be lawful. I don't know of any law saying aftermarket dashes are illegal.

The only piece that has to be maintained is the odometer, and that's not integrated into the speedometer display anymore, it's just a software reading.

-Crissa

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
An accessory speedometer would still be lawful. I don't know of any law saying aftermarket dashes are illegal.

The only piece that has to be maintained is the odometer, and that's not integrated into the speedometer display anymore, it's just a software reading.

-Crissa
i have definitely had friends that have gotten tickets for their speedometer being more than 3-5 mph out of whack. Im not sure how that applies to digital speedometers these days though...?‍♂
Sponsored