Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
  • Banned
I AM REPOSTING THIS FROM ANOTHER THREAD I CREATED ON ANOTHER TESLA SITE AS SOME PEOPLE HERE DO NOT ALSO READ THAT SITE. So if you read it there there is no need to respond here. However I felt it might lead to some further enlightening and entertaining posts from some of you.
So...

I have a few different entities in Alabama willing to sell me land. I live in Florida. An idyllic place to retire, and I am about to move back to Alabama when I officially "retire." I grew up there. I went to Auburn, floated the creeks, fished the lakes and rivers, and creeks, and hunted squirrel and deer.
I live in a modest two-bedroom home on a barrier island on the Atlantic coast. I can watch Big E's spaceships take off from a seat in my backyard while I listen to the waves. On the 6th of January at about 9PM there is something going off, night launches are worth taking the effort to remember to go out and watch something else the Big E is doing well... First launch of 2020: SpaceX Starlink liftoff moves to Monday night
But Florida is too full now. I am going back to the woods. And four seasons.
And even though my home is only 980 sq.ft. it is still a bit too wasteful. I want to build at least one "tiny home" in the woods, looking out over a creek or river. Far from power lines. I am leaning towards solar or hydro providing the electricity.
But now here is the tie in... I was considering getting an older fifth wheel to put on the property and have it as my home while I build the tiny home from below the ground up. Now, I am entertaining living in the Tesla utility vehicle (some call it the cybertruck. I feel the name does it and those considering it an injustice.). And using the Tesla utility vehicle(TUV) for much of the build.

What the TUV can not provide. And thus these three items will be built first.
* Human waste processing (I'll have to buy a waterless toilet and enclose it. Outhouse.)
* Water (I'll have to dig a well)
* Electricity production (I'll have to build a solar array and store the electricity.)
Though in each of these areas the TUV could aid in supplying the need, such as heating the water on the tailgate electric grill when I want to take a shower in the Winter. And perhaps provide enough electricity for the power tools needed for constructing the solar array and outhouse.

What the TUV will do
* Lock box for the tools. It can't be stolen if it isn't left on site.
(The frunk, sail pillars, and below bed storage will take most of the tools I'll need to build a tiny home. And will provide power to recharge them overnight.)
* Mobile power
(Through being able to park next to wherever I am working and use the 110 and 220 outlets on the vehicle to power larger tools, or those used repeatedly throughout the day. The vehicle will be taking power from the storage aspect of the solar power system.)
* Sleeping Facilty.
(Actually a safer area than if I was sleeping at home because of the "sentry mode" and semi-bulletproof exterior of the vehicle. And greater comfort because of the ease of having a mattress within an uncompromised thermostatically-controlled bio-protected environment.)
* Material transport
(Yeah I am just writing something here to make it all look the same.)

Before this vehicle was a choice I was already in the planning stages of what I would need to do, and in what order. This vehicle will save me thousands of dollars. Perhaps around $10,000.
And be a far better solution than the alternative. Before I considered buying this vehicle I figured the first thing I would need to do is establish a temporary place on the site for me to live... either a secondhand trailer or build something quick and dirty, perhaps big enough to live in and store tools and material. the vehicle provides a wonderful place for me to sleep. I lived in a tent, with cardboard for a mattress, in college for about 9 months with absolutely no issues.
And though I will still need a building for supplies and the cheaper tools I won't have to make it as robust to keep thieves out as all the expensive gear will be stored in the vehicle. And there won't even be a portable generator or compressor to power the tools as the vehicle can quietly do that.
And the peace of mind? What's that worth.
To not have a sleepless night. to sleep in the perfect climate-controlled environment. To be surrounded by a bullet-proof enclosure that has a sentry mode, and is mobile if need be. I don't entertain a Zombie apocalypse, but some meth head country boys looking for something to steal and pawn is a real possibility. And now I feel comfortable that won't be possible.
To know all your tools are right there with you on the truck with all the portable power you need to run them. What's that worth to you? Peace of mind, and increased production.
This vehicle is not only going to be a dream. It is going to help build and fulfill dreams that were there before it existed. Many more people have already figured out how this vehicle will help them achieve their dreams.
This vehicle is not a "truck,"
Sponsored

OCS12

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta ST, Dodge Ram 1500
Country flag
If you’re that far out in the woods, who’s trying to steal your stuff and shoot you? Now I’d agree if you were talking about a safe place to sleep to avoid bears or something. (Been there)

OP
OP

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
  • Banned
If you’re that far out in the woods, who’s trying to steal your stuff and shoot you? Now I’d agree if you were talking about a safe place to sleep to avoid bears or something. (Been there)
"That far" is assumptive.
A half mile back from the road but just off a well used logging road means you are too far from the grid, and yet you will get eyes on you. It only takes one (or two if you're talking eyes).
So often "in the woods" you'll come upon a place the dirtbags have set up their party headquarters on some public land or a large landowner's property where it isn't regularly monitored. Drug use, guns for funs, trash, dumping, burning pallets and tires... Just one of them fine folks could ruin it.

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
Living in a truck is not going to be a fun experience.

I would get a small travel trailer or camper trailer (2nd hand) and then sell when you can move into your house. Leave only dirty clothes and dirty dishes in the trailer when you are not there. Nothing valuable. Keep most of your expensive tools and valuable stuff in the truck with you when you come and go, so it can be safely with you when you have to leave the property.

OP
OP

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
  • Banned
Living in a truck is not going to be a fun experience.

I would get a small travel trailer or camper trailer (2nd hand) and then sell when you can move into your house. Leave only dirty clothes and dirty dishes in the trailer when you are not there. Nothing valuable. Keep most of your expensive tools and valuable stuff in the truck with you when you come and go, so it can be safely with you when you have to leave the property.
I think you've assumed we are the same. While at Auburn I averaged over a 3.3 for the nine months I lived in a $20 wal-mart pup tent, and loved it. I tell the story of how it was the coldest Winter in Auburn while I was in that tent. I only had a summer sleeping bag. Every couple of days I would have to empty the tent and turn it inside out to get all the water droplets that formed on the inside "ceiling from my breath condensing on it. I had to as when the ice droplets got big enough they would fall off on me. Not Fun. To stay warm I would pile my clothes on top of me. the dirtiest clothes at my feet and cleanest on my head. I actually would put several pair of my tighty whiteys on my head at different angles like a balaclava. And I slept like I was loved. In my early teens I did some very unique survival camping on week-ends. The only thing that I can't do is sleeping when it is over 85 degrees. And with the Tesla Utility Vehicle that isn't going to happen.
So I will be absolutely fine in the vehicle. You might not be. But have you tried it.

rstrouts

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
No need for a tiny house? The TUV could be your tiny house. All you'd need is a small tool shed, portable outside toilet and maybe a shower. Kitchen in the tailgate, Elon's Starlink internet (Alabama sometime in 2020) and you're good to go.
Oh, and some sort of electric based Copperhead fryer under the TUV!!! :)

Cyber1qhorsey

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FORD Expedition, Escape, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
You may be in more danger "out there" from the slithering beasties, than anything else. Stay off the ground, safe in your TT or CT, at nite..

Camper Van Someren

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Focus RS, 2015 Sienna AWD, 2002 Ranger
Country flag
Sounds like the CT will provide security peace of mind for you and your gear. That can be worth a lot if you are in a dangerous area.

However I don’t know that this is gonna save you any money, at least as a means to the end goal of building a tiny house. $5-10K will get you a decent used camper trailer with a kitchen and bathroom (no need for outhouse, no need to walk outside at night). Another $5-10K for a used ICE truck to tow it and run into town. $2000 for a lead-acid battery array and inverter to store your solar power, and an extension cord to run your tools. You can probably downsize your solar array also if it won’t be powering a vehicle. Few hundred for a metal chest to protect your tools. Chain it to a tree and you’re pretty safe. That comes to $25K max, versus at least $40K for the cheapest CT and another five grand? for your waterless toilet, outhouse, and extra solar panels.

The CT idea is definitely cool and I’m sure you can make it work. But you’re definitely using it for something it wasn’t designed for, which means there will be some inefficiently and discomfort.

OP
OP

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
  • Banned
Sounds like the CT will provide security peace of mind for you and your gear. That can be worth a lot if you are in a dangerous area.

However I don’t know that this is gonna save you any money, at least as a means to the end goal of building a tiny house. $5-10K will get you a decent used camper trailer with a kitchen and bathroom (no need for outhouse, no need to walk outside at night). Another $5-10K for a used ICE truck to tow it and run into town. $2000 for a lead-acid battery array and inverter to store your solar power, and an extension cord to run your tools. You can probably downsize your solar array also if it won’t be powering a vehicle. Few hundred for a metal chest to protect your tools. Chain it to a tree and you’re pretty safe. That comes to $25K max, versus at least $40K for the cheapest CT and another five grand? for your waterless toilet, outhouse, and extra solar panels.

The CT idea is definitely cool and I’m sure you can make it work. But you’re definitely using it for something it wasn’t designed for, which means there will be some inefficiently and discomfort.
$7,500 camper
$7,500 ICE Truck
$500 metal tool box chained to a tree ( I have lost equipment because the tree was chain-sawed through.)
So $15,500 for those three. I'll come back to that number.

The solar array and storage system are going to be for the house once I get it done. So that money is a wash either way. And I don't want to have any misgivings so I'll just bite the bullet and do the smart thing, Buy stuff with a good reputation .... like tesla brand. (Let's not belabor that point here. I might even do a concrete garage with an emphasis on burglar-proofing, and tesla solar the roof, nothing is final this far out. I haven't decide which property. One of them has me 500 yds from the road and power. But anothe rproperty is such a magnificent site as far as location for fun and just the views, but not much of a chance of having any real sunshine hit a solar panel because of the old growth forest. In that case I could go another direction and use the tesla with this type device to supply all my energy. I'd just have to drive the TUV to a super charger every few days. https://markets.businessinsider.com...rectional-home-charger-at-ces-2020-1028796733).

But if I take the $15,500 and apply it towards a Tesla Utility Vehicle the 2 motor with FSD now becomes about the price of a 1 motor without FSD. So????
And with the ICE Pick-up you did not figure in gasoline or maintenance. That would pull the price of the 2 motor with FSD right in line with the 1 motor without FSD. SooOOoOoo?

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
One thing to look at too is getting a used seacan. You can use it as secure storage. I use them for this purpose. You can even build a man door in it and use it for a place to sleep. Here is what one of my friends did with a seacan.

Tesla Cybertruck Building a home in the wilderness with this vehicle 4E5C0474-35E7-4D31-B934-AE3E5A0172B4

OP
OP

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
YES! I am using it for something..but NOT i am not "Something it wasn't designed for." (BTW Big E taught me the difference between "design" and "engineer." Engineering is done to create something to do something. Design is done to create how something is drawn in by the senses. Design deals with how the feel, look, smell, taste, and sound are drawn in by the senses and then create an emotion or thought. With the TUV, Big E told the engineers to engineer a vehicle that did several tasks well. And that form is what was handed over to the "design" team. Design had a very small role in the evolution of this TUV. I call it The Tesla Utility Vehicle instead of the silly name because I do not want to limit it by its name. It was engineered to be a TUV. It was given the silly name "Cybertruck" as part of the design team's contribution. Probably done because it will sell more vehicles with "truck" in the name. It will make people FEEL more accepting of the strange beast. I think Big E should have stayed true to his heart, and called it "The Swiss Army Knife Vehicle." Or some such interesting name that was descriptive of what it is in totality, not just a truck. I was so happy to hear he is not going to physically such a silly, limiting badge on the TUV. He has decided to leave it without a brand. And I take that to mean he has had a change of heart and doesn't want to limit how it is seen or used.)
It was completely "engineered" for my intended purpose, and it will not be lacking in any area for my intended purposes:
Storing tools,
110 or 220 power for tools
Sleeping in a climate-controlled environment with outside monitoring/security.

Elsewhere I have discussed sleeping in a tent for 9 months while at Auburn University. I slept in a walmart pup tent with a cheap "summer" sleeping bag from September through May, and I slept well. On cold nights I would use ALL my clothes to keep warm. I'd put the dirtiest clothes around my feet and work my way up to putting my cleanest under shirts and briefs around my head. On very cold nights I'd actually wear my briefs on my head. I did not want to stop except Summer was coming and the only thing I truly require when I sleep is for it not to be hot. And a friend offered me a room in his apartment if I would pay half the electric and phone bill. So sleeping in this vehicle will be dreamy.
So the TUV will pay for part of itself, and be better in form and function than any other alternative for the price.
And after the place is built I'll have a TUV with FS.

OP
OP

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
One thing to look at too is getting a used seacan. You can use it as secure storage. I use them for this purpose. You can even build a man door in it and use it for a place to sleep. Here is what one of my friends did with a seacan.

4E5C0474-35E7-4D31-B934-AE3E5A0172B4.jpeg
At one time this was definitely in consideration. I've seen the youtube vids.

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I AM REPOSTING THIS FROM ANOTHER THREAD I CREATED ON ANOTHER TESLA SITE AS SOME PEOPLE HERE DO NOT ALSO READ THAT SITE. So if you read it there there is no need to respond here. However I felt it might lead to some further enlightening and entertaining posts from some of you.
So...

I have a few different entities in Alabama willing to sell me land. I live in Florida. An idyllic place to retire, and I am about to move back to Alabama when I officially "retire." I grew up there. I went to Auburn, floated the creeks, fished the lakes and rivers, and creeks, and hunted squirrel and deer.
I live in a modest two-bedroom home on a barrier island on the Atlantic coast. I can watch Big E's spaceships take off from a seat in my backyard while I listen to the waves. On the 6th of January at about 9PM there is something going off, night launches are worth taking the effort to remember to go out and watch something else the Big E is doing well... First launch of 2020: SpaceX Starlink liftoff moves to Monday night
But Florida is too full now. I am going back to the woods. And four seasons.
And even though my home is only 980 sq.ft. it is still a bit too wasteful. I want to build at least one "tiny home" in the woods, looking out over a creek or river. Far from power lines. I am leaning towards solar or hydro providing the electricity.
But now here is the tie in... I was considering getting an older fifth wheel to put on the property and have it as my home while I build the tiny home from below the ground up. Now, I am entertaining living in the Tesla utility vehicle (some call it the cybertruck. I feel the name does it and those considering it an injustice.). And using the Tesla utility vehicle(TUV) for much of the build.

What the TUV can not provide. And thus these three items will be built first.
* Human waste processing (I'll have to buy a waterless toilet and enclose it. Outhouse.)
* Water (I'll have to dig a well)
* Electricity production (I'll have to build a solar array and store the electricity.)
Though in each of these areas the TUV could aid in supplying the need, such as heating the water on the tailgate electric grill when I want to take a shower in the Winter. And perhaps provide enough electricity for the power tools needed for constructing the solar array and outhouse.

What the TUV will do
* Lock box for the tools. It can't be stolen if it isn't left on site.
(The frunk, sail pillars, and below bed storage will take most of the tools I'll need to build a tiny home. And will provide power to recharge them overnight.)
* Mobile power
(Through being able to park next to wherever I am working and use the 110 and 220 outlets on the vehicle to power larger tools, or those used repeatedly throughout the day. The vehicle will be taking power from the storage aspect of the solar power system.)
* Sleeping Facilty.
(Actually a safer area than if I was sleeping at home because of the "sentry mode" and semi-bulletproof exterior of the vehicle. And greater comfort because of the ease of having a mattress within an uncompromised thermostatically-controlled bio-protected environment.)
* Material transport
(Yeah I am just writing something here to make it all look the same.)

Before this vehicle was a choice I was already in the planning stages of what I would need to do, and in what order. This vehicle will save me thousands of dollars. Perhaps around $10,000.
And be a far better solution than the alternative. Before I considered buying this vehicle I figured the first thing I would need to do is establish a temporary place on the site for me to live... either a secondhand trailer or build something quick and dirty, perhaps big enough to live in and store tools and material. the vehicle provides a wonderful place for me to sleep. I lived in a tent, with cardboard for a mattress, in college for about 9 months with absolutely no issues.
And though I will still need a building for supplies and the cheaper tools I won't have to make it as robust to keep thieves out as all the expensive gear will be stored in the vehicle. And there won't even be a portable generator or compressor to power the tools as the vehicle can quietly do that.
And the peace of mind? What's that worth.
To not have a sleepless night. to sleep in the perfect climate-controlled environment. To be surrounded by a bullet-proof enclosure that has a sentry mode, and is mobile if need be. I don't entertain a Zombie apocalypse, but some meth head country boys looking for something to steal and pawn is a real possibility. And now I feel comfortable that won't be possible.
To know all your tools are right there with you on the truck with all the portable power you need to run them. What's that worth to you? Peace of mind, and increased production.
This vehicle is not only going to be a dream. It is going to help build and fulfill dreams that were there before it existed. Many more people have already figured out how this vehicle will help them achieve their dreams.
This vehicle is not a "truck,"
Sounds like you are expecting too much from a pickup truck.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
@lukefrisebee is definitely on theme of Cybertruck apocalypse design brief. In his case, backwoods, it provides a Bugout-type solution that removes all “attractive nuisance” to anyone familiar with what goes on in rural America these days.

Cybertruck enables secure stowage protecting his personal property allowing access to offgrid areas that otherwise are inhospitable. His choice, at the end of his worklif, is which offgrid location affords to him the “kind” of retirement spot best matches his abilities. Perfect fit to CT.

Cybertruck gives him options, flexibility and a degree of utilitity that he can’t get any cheaper but will pay for itself through use.

Last I saw Alabama was through the lense of Storm Beta. I can attest Cybertruck is a worthy candidate for what gets thrown at Alabama backwoods or no… Water, water everywhere Cybertruck is going to Bugout all his “stuff” he can’t afford to lose were it inundated.
Sponsored