Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Per Elon Musk:

"We emptied the entire drum magazine of a Tommy gun into the driver door Al Capone style. No bullets penetrated into the passenger compartment."

Meaningless test in the real world. Unless you are facing inept shooters who can't seem to hit the glass windows. They might be mildly protective, but anyone unloading a tommy gun into the window will get through soon enough.

Then again, unless you are some crazy end of world doomsayer, most cybertruck owners aren't going to be regularly worrying about cannonballing through an active war zone ala Death Race 2000.
Sponsored

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Handgun rounds are the most used in gun violence, so yes. but riles are cheap and easy to make these days.
I just ask because I'm not going around trying to prove anything to anyone. However, you see a lot of videos online where someone either intentionally or unintentionally does something on the road that ticks off a crazy person and they pull out a gun. Usually it's a handgun, I've never seen a video of anyone pulling out a shotgun or a rifle. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I just want to make know that if I change lanes in a way that someone doesn't like will everyone in the vehicle be safe.

I'm not heading into a warzone or Chicago so I should be fine.

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
That
Meaningless test in the real world. Unless you are facing inept shooters who can't seem to hit the glass windows. They might be mildly protective, but anyone unloading a tommy gun into the window will get through soon enough.

Then again, unless you are some crazy end of world doomsayer, most cybertruck owners aren't going to be regularly worrying about cannonballing through an active war zone ala Death Race 2000.
That guy in Gaza who made the news last week didn't have people shooting at the windows. They got the body panels. That guy took a couple bullets. He may have been untouched if he was in a CT

CyberC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model X LR+, 2021 Model Y P
Occupation
Legal
Country flag
Dumbasses and EV haters don't need any encouragement, they will always be dumbasses and EV haters. You can't fix stupid.
You can't fix it, but you can definitely encourage it. There are a lot of morons whose only hurdle to a lengthy prison sentence is a lack of imagination. And Tesla just gave them a great idea.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
That

That guy in Gaza who made the news last week didn't have people shooting at the windows. They got the body panels. That guy took a couple bullets. He may have been untouched if he was in a CT
Note the two missing rearward windows and two bullet holes in the driver’s window

Tesla Cybertruck Bulletproof tested Cybertruck spotted!!  Musk confirms: "No bullets penetrated into the passenger compartment." [⚠️ ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] 94C1019F-153E-411F-AF47-52631F12B8FF

CyberC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Legal
Country flag
It probably takes more skill to intentionally hit ONLY the doors. I would be surprised if this test weren't done with a semi-automatic tommy gun on a fixed tripod, taking one shot at a time. With that kind of grouping, one or more bullets definitely would've hit a window if someone were just hip firing.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
It probably takes more skill to intentionally hit ONLY the doors. I would be surprised if this test weren't done with a semi-automatic tommy gun on a fixed tripod, taking one shot at a time. With that kind of grouping, one or more bullets definitely would've hit a window if someone were just hip firing.
Um, no. Such a weird thing to say. Those impact patterns were obviously caused by a small number of short bursts at close range, until the magazine was empty. It's obvious it was not shot one at a time, especially the little "oops" off to the right, on the rear quarter panel.

Last edited:

CyberC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Legal
Country flag
Um, no. Such a weird thing to say. Those impact patterns were obviously caused by a small number of short bursts at close range, until the magazine was empty. It's obvious it was handheld, especially the little "oops" off to the right, on the rear quarter panel.
As someone who has (a) shot thousands of rounds in a professional capacity in semi-automatic, three round burst, and fully automatic fire modes, with a number of pistol and rifle calibers, and (b) seen others do the same for over a decade, I'm going to have to disagree with you. But until we see the video, there's not really any settling this. So I'll just leave it at that.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
That

I said "most cybertruck owners". It is very sad what happened to those people. Yes, owning the cybertruck in the future would save lives in the same situation in the future. I was also pointing out that you aren't really safe even with those doors, cause the windows are now the weak point. As CyberC pointed out, anyone spraying a vehicle with an automatic rifle is more likely to hit everything. So if you live in a region of the world where this is a real risk, then you'll most likely be upgrading the windows to real bulletproof windows. Which will probably include having to custom make a massive bulletproof windshield.

But the real point of the post was that the vast majority of people purchasing this vehicle will be using it in regions of the world where this type of situation is about as common as winning the powerball. It's really just bragging rights.

Last edited:

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
As someone who has (a) shot thousands of rounds in a professional capacity in semi-automatic, three round burst, and fully automatic fire modes, with a number of pistol and rifle calibers, and (b) seen others do the same for over a decade, I'm going to have to disagree with you. But until we see the video, there's not really any settling this. So I'll just leave it at that.
I can't help it if Elon is more skilled at shooting an automatic weapon than you. It's obviously done with live automatic fire.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
having shot a Thompson submachine gun, including in full-auto, I can get where you’re coming from - that muzzle wants the sky!

anyone reckless enough to shoot “small bursts at close range” at 3mm SS shouldn’t be operating a can opener, much less SpaceX

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
The test is really more about machismo than anything else. But there is validity in the safety of those doors in side impact crashes, which you can infer *some* level of impact strength from this test.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
They KIIIINDA did in the OG presentation.

Assuming they used a true Thompson (and not just some rifle with a drum magazine), the drums are 50 or 100 rounds

They emptied the drum, while this CT has >50 but <100 impacts

where’d those other rounds go
Sponsored