Can Tesla vehicles see through fog using vision only? No Radar or Lidar needed.

Richard V.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt 2015
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Ref: Can Teslas see through fog?? Stanford research shows a way. - YouTube

* Stanford news article on the research: https://news.stanford.edu/2020/09/09/...
* The original research paper (Lindell and Wetzstein): https://www.nature.com/articles/s4146...

Very interesting and well explained by the author of this nicely researched and documented YouTube channel.

I also got the link to this following document from the same author.
D'oh! I had been looking for it: Tesla-Anti-Handbook-Handbook.pdf (ceconline.com)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Lidar is worse in fog because it travels through the fog twice. Radar isn't as high resolution and has weird echoes and refractions.

Camera based vision can use UV and IR, at sensitivities that Human vision can't see. It can discern minute differences in contrast.

-Crissa

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
I know that cameras can see better than human eyes in snow and fog due to the different frequencies of light that they are sensitive to. I've tried to record videos in blizzard conditions to show relatives how little visibility there was (to human eyes), only to be surprised that on camera the visibility was better.

As far as glare from the sun blinding the cameras, I'm sure there are methods to mitigate that on the software side. In the early days of my Model 3 (more than 3.5 years ago) I would sometimes get messages from the car that Autopilot was disable due to glare from the rising sun in the mornings. I can't remember seeing any messages about that in the last few years, so I'm sure Tesla figured out a way to reduce the impact of glare and put it in a software update.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's a problem, but since there are multiple cameras watching multiple frequencies of light from multiple angles, the odds are that not all of them are occluded at the same time.

Just like you can close one eye to stop glare, the car has three forward cameras and then two overlapping ones from the sides?

Tesla's FSD still gets glared out once in awhile, but not as often now, no.

-Crissa

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Tesla's FSD still gets glared out once in awhile, but not as often now, no.
And anytime the cameras get glared out, human eyes (even with sunglasses) would most likely be glared out too. And driving in those conditions for any period of time (say on the salt flats portion of I80 headed west just before sunset) can be very taxing on the eyes. At least the cameras don’t get tired.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Oh, no, cameras get permanently burned out because they don't slowly regenerate their photoreceptors.

-Crissa
Have you knowledge of Tesla R&D into camera optics, frequency mapping and computational photogrammetry?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Have you knowledge of Tesla R&D into camera optics, frequency mapping and computational photogrammetry?
In that it's really awesome. And they're using parallax in time as well as camera location to create a 3d map of voxels for the car to avoid.

I'm not great at the maths, but my spouse does this stuff ^-^

-Crissa

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Oh, no, cameras get permanently burned out because they don't slowly regenerate their photoreceptors.

-Crissa
Everything wears out in time. How long are you saying it takes to burn out the cameras?

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
In that it's really awesome. And they're using parallax in time as well as camera location to create a 3d map of voxels for the car to avoid.

I'm not great at the maths, but my spouse does this stuff ^-^

-Crissa
Cameras see in low light, at night better than human - seems like 10X. It was shocking to see at night 4k video and same scene with naked eye in Realtime. No comparison. Parallax is def. computational Alien technology - beyond human naked eye capability stuff.

Fog would be mission creep for parallax and R&D in velocity prediction(VPP). Collision avoidance in fog-y conditions? Humans are snowblind judging distance in fog. They pull out in-front of cars in fog. And humans are incapable of deducing closing distance and closing velocity accurately in brain-overloaded fog-y driving.

Fog-y and snow-y share different conditions but similar collision avoidance scenarios. FSD technology that can extend a Tesla’s zone of safety, expand its reaction timing to threats and make Teslas less risky than humanly possible would be worth something.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
No, of course it can't. Use common sense.

Note that the technique described in the paper is "active". Cameras, lacking a controlled source of illumination, cannot use "gating", as the researchers did, to tell if there is something at a given range.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Thermal cameras can see tthrough fog and they are getting smaller & cheaper.

--------------------------

Can a FLIR Boson Thermal Camera See Through Fog?
It’s a foggy day and we took out our Mavic 2 Thermal Drone with the VuIR Boson for a spin
We know fog consists of small tiny droplets of water. And water absorbs heat radiation. So some how fog will affect the vision of a thermal camera - in theory.
Here we do see that the flir boson Thermal camera does see much better than a usual daylight camera through fog.
Dec 20, 2018

Radiometric Thermal Zoom Clarity – Vue TZ20-R sUAS Drone Payload
Introducing the all-new Vue TZ20-R. The upgrades to Teledyne FLIR’s high-resolution dual thermal zoom payload have changed the game. Featuring pixel-by-pixel radiometric temperature measurement and unmatched 20x clear zoom, you’ll be able to make critical decisions faster and with more confidence than ever.
Nov 2, 2021
Teledyne FLIR

VUE TZ20-R
High Resolution, Radiometric Gimbaled Thermal Zoom Drone Payload
https://www.flir.com/products/vue-tz20-r/

$7,500 FLIR Vue TZ20 R Dual Thermal Camera (60Hz)
Thermal zoom at 5x, 10x, and 20x provides unmatched performance and clarity
A 95-degree field of view (FOV) facilitates scanning and surveying large areas
All zoom levels, 640 x 512 Dual Bosons provide 4X more radiometric pixels on target
Connects directly to DJI's Matrice 300 and V2 Matrice 200 drones
Utilize FLIR Thermal Studio and third-party applications to analyze thermal images
SKU#: S-FLIR-VTZ20R MFG#: 437-640S95018-6R
https://www.dronefly.com/flir-vue-tz20-r-dual-thermal-camera-60hz.html

Thermal and NV vs fog. Can thermal see through fog? What about night vision? Let's find out
Can thermal see through fog? What about night vision? Let's find out. Thermal scope, ATN thermal scope, ATN, ATN Thor 4, Thor 4, 640x480 thermal, thermal scope, night vision, ATN night vision, ATN 4K pro, thermal vs fog
Jan 27, 2020
High Impact

Sponsored