dmatthews26

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model X, Model Y
Country flag
Tesla Cybertruck Cancelled Order - VIN# 5380, Fife, WA - Delivery scheduled for April 12th Untitled

In case this is helpful to anyone out there.....

I had ordered a Dual Motor Foundation, VIN 5380, that was scheduled for delivery to Fife, WA on April 12th, 2024.

I cancelled on April 4th and received a $100 refund, but was not refunded the $1,000 foundation reservation fee.

I was not charged a delivery fee of $250, nor was I charged transportation charges of $1,995 (these were included as "liquidated damages" in my purchase agreement that Tesla chose not to enforce).

I requested to be place "back in line" for a non-foundation series but that request was denied. However, 2 weeks after cancelling and my original reservation is still sitting in my Tesla account online (the CT disappeared from my iOS App instantly after cancelling).

It was an awesome ride, and worth the $900 out of pocket in my mind to be part of the excitement for the last 4 years. However, I was just not ready to spend $111,000 for a vehicle that is not currently feature-complete, nor fully production ready in my mind. I was an early adopter of the Model X (2016 VIN 001740) which had its ups and downs. I also own a 2018 Model S.

In case you are curious, instead of the CT, I decided to buy a new Model Y with the $7,500 tax credit giving me a 5-seater for a grand total of $47,250 after WA sales tax and registration. And I'm keeping my 2007 Nissan Frontier pickup for now.
Sponsored

Saygmo

First Name
Sas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 awd
Country flag
With all the current bs surrounding trucks shutting down, gas pedal issues, software issues, and missing features, not to mention beta quality production vehicles and lower than expected pack size and charging speed.... I'm with you. Sad that Tesla, unlike Rivian, doesn't give a crap about longterm customers or super early preorders, id like to see a refund of that production deposit since they've now delayed deliveries until a fix is found. Also sad that people with 120k cb fs orders who don't qualify for the $4k install credit and $2600 worth of stuff, only get a small supercharging credit instead. should get a big fat Tesla store credit or something, to be used within 5 years by original account holder. oh well.

Cybertruck2024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning and Model 3
Country flag
I keep seeing these stories of Lariat ER Lightnings being sold for $60k and wondering if I'm crazy to be paying double for a Cybertruck. Alternatively I could get a Model S Plaid AND a Model 3/Y for the same money and these are tested models.

The longer people wait, I assume the more people do this same thing. No longer first in line to enjoy the CT as something crazy and unique. But not far enough down the line to avoid the issues of the early builds. I already have my friends saying "I've seen the CT on the road fifty times already, I thought you were getting one when they first came out." Some of the excitement is gone.

No harm for Tesla, someone else will scoop up the order. You made the right move too. Better to lose $900, than spend $110k on something you aren't 100% sold on.

DumpsterFire

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Mouth Breather
Country flag
Sad that Tesla, unlike Rivian, doesn't give a crap about longterm customers or super early preorders, id like to see a refund of that production deposit since they've now delayed deliveries until a fix is found.
Rivian has long term customers?? 😂😂

Seriously tho, I get your frustrations.

RN1127

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FS AWD
Country flag
$1000 out of pocket actually.

I was in the same boat as you but I decided to keep the truck and this is my plan:

Drive the truck for a month or so to see if I like it at the end or not, if I like it I will keep it.

If not, I will just park it in my garage as back up power and claim 30% tax credit next year. Then sell the truck back to Tesla for whatever mileage I droved for the first month next April before the non resale period ends . At the end I will end up about 20K net profit for parking the truck in my garage for a year.

mark555055c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Cybertruck AWD FS, 2019 Silverado Trail Boss
Country flag
Interesting, i'm 97 days and no VIN and considering cancelling simply because i'm sick of waiting.

They could not apply the $1000 toward the model Y or you did not pursue this?

Last edited:

Mark805

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y and CyberTruck
Country flag

I was in the same boat as you but I decided to keep the truck and this is my plan:

Drive the truck for a month or so to see if I like it at the end or not, if I like it I will keep it.

If not, I will just park it in my garage as back up power and claim 30% tax credit next year. Then sell the truck back to Tesla for whatever mileage I droved for the first month next April before the non resale period ends . At the end I will end up about 20K net profit for parking the truck in my garage for a year.
what is the tax credit you mention?

Cybertruck2024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning and Model 3
Country flag
Interesting, i'm 97 days an no VIN and considering cancelling simply because i'm sick of waiting.

They could not apply the $1000 toward the model Y or you did not pursue this?
Originally Tesla was being more lenient with the non-refundable $1k. There were confirmations on here of moving the $1k to a non-FS CT or another Tesla vehicle. This is the second report in a row of Tesla not providing that option. I'd assume there's more people walking away now, so they are being more strict with the non-refundable enforcement.

It still doesn't hurt to talk to someone at Tesla. Maybe it's just luck of the draw with the right salesperson.

Mark805

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y and CyberTruck
Country flag
I'm in the Seattle area. I just got the emails about installing the home equipment and am debating on installing it.

The reasoning is, we plan on selling our home in a year or so and wondering if the install expense is with it.

mark555055c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Cybertruck AWD FS, 2019 Silverado Trail Boss
Country flag
Originally Tesla was being more lenient with the non-refundable $1k. There were confirmations on here of moving the $1k to a non-FS CT or another Tesla vehicle. This is the second report in a row of Tesla not providing that option. I'd assume there's more people walking away now, so they are being more strict with the non-refundable enforcement.

It still doesn't hurt to talk to someone at Tesla. Maybe it's just luck of the draw with the right salesperson.
Interesting. I might bounce it off of my SA. One way or the other my $1000 is going toward something. :)

heems

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y AWD, 2024 Cybertruck FS AWD
Country flag
Sorry it didn’t pan out for you OP. It looks like you made a rational decision for your case. You already are in the Tesla family and will enjoy the Y. Best of luck to you.

Ps: don’t click CT Yolo 😅

RN1127

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FS AWD
Country flag
Goodluck with it. It says something like for non-mobile or can't be used as transportation. Maybe IRS won't care in the end.
That why I say park in the garage for back up use only. At the end IRS will see very small milage to justify that.

Alpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Tesla has no obligation to buy your truck back. Its just a bs offer and a forum member has already been denied when he asked for a buy back
Sponsored