Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber Truck
Occupation
Building Inspector
Country flag
Here in Canada we pay a lot more for fuel than our southern neighbors. $ 1.40 a liter seems about the normal high end. +/-
I calculate about 92% savings due to our less expensive power here in BC. As a regional building inspector my diesel bill averages about $1,500. Per month so the truck will pay for itself on fuel savings alone not including reduced maintenance costs.
Has anyone else done any fuel savings estimates?
Thanks
Terry

Tesla Cybertruck Can't Afford NOT to buy a Cyber Truck! photo1576727692046-1576727692137-crop-1576727776407276090706
Sponsored

larryboy31

First Name
larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Dodge turbo diesel ext. cab,2016 Nissan versa, 2021 Subaru cross trek
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Here in Canada we pay a lot more for fuel than our southern neighbors. $ 1.40 a liter seems about the normal high end. +/-
I calculate about 92% savings due to our less expensive power here in BC. As a regional building inspector my diesel bill averages about $1,500. Per month so the truck will pay for itself on fuel savings alone not including reduced maintenance costs.
Thanks
Terry

photo1576727692046-1576727692137-crop-1576727776407276090706.jpg
Hard to get real scientific about a vehicle that is not out on the street but I am operating on the following premise/projections/ guesses. The CT will go about 2 miles on a KW. I have a Dodge diesel pickup (2001) and get right at 18 MPG. With my electric rates it will cost $.72 to get enough electrons to go as far as 1 gallon of Diesel takes me. Without going through exchange rates and liters per gallon conversions I think you can plan on saving over 80% of your fuel bill.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
All my neighbors go to the States to buy gas. At least that's what they did last summer before COVID.

Oh yes. In Quebec I pay $0.12 (CD) for a kWh of electricity. I estimate the CT is going to take between 350 and 400 Wh per mile. Using the more pessimistic number gives 2.5 miles/kwh for a cost per mile of $0.048. If I drive 5000 miles up there in a summer my fuel cost in $240. With my current X the consumption is more like 280 Wh/mi so my cost per mile is 0.12/(1000/280) = 0.0336/mi and the bill for 5000 miles is $168. That's so little that even though I can get free charging in town I don't deem it worth driving there to get it.

Hard to get real scientific about a vehicle that is not out on the street but I am operating on the following premise/projections/ guesses. The CT will go about 2 miles on a KW.
I always try to keep it scientific. The CT will go about 2.5 miles on a kWh of energy. The kWh is the unit of energy and the kW a unit of power which is the rate at which energy is transferred (from battery to motors).

... it will cost $.72 to get enough electrons to go as far as 1 gallon of Diesel takes me.
Now I know you are speaking broadly here but, being the incurable science nerd that I am, I am going to point out that you don't acquire any electrons when you charge your car. You move them from the battery's cathode to its anode. When the battery runs the motors they move back to the cathode. Thus what you are paying for at the "pump" is pumping, i.e. the energy required to pump those electrons back to the anode.

Last edited:

Nathon

First Name
Nathon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 , Cybertruck on order
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
Thanks
Terry

I’m hoping the CT will run me about 30-40 bucks per month or so. My current fuel cost is around 250 per month with the current gas prices that are under 2.00 per gallon at the moment, plus an oil change every 6 weeks or so. My job pays me mileage at .50 per mile. So between the gas savings, no oil changes and the mileage my truck will be pretty much paid for with very little to nothing out of pocket. Especially when gas prices rise back up to the 3.00 per gallon prices we saw not long ago. So it’s a win for this guy. ??

RoadbossTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, Audi Q7, Aventon Aventure
Country flag
Thanks
Terry

RoadbossTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, Audi Q7, Aventon Aventure
Country flag
Terry, man, you gotta quit posting things like this!! They're always looking for money. As soon as some smart A politician sees your saving money, they are going to figure out how apply a tax, and take it away from you!!!!

White streak

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep, Model 3, cybertruck
Occupation
Registered Nurse
Country flag
Washington state already charges around $175 extra for electric vehicle registrations (current model 3 owner). So yes, even though our taxes subsidize every gallon of fuel bought, they are taxing electric vehicles also.

Riptide

First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps
Country flag
With my solar system being installed it will cost me nothing to charge my EV’s.
I'm so looking forward to this new adventure.
Well, your marginal cost will be very close to zero, not counting maintenance over time. But you've also got the up-front installation cost, which is what, $20-30K?

I'm not saying it's a bad deal, I'm saying it's not a zero-cost proposition. I'm also installing solar, so I'm with you 100%.

CyberCop

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Silverado HD , Cybertruck dual on order
Occupation
Retired LEO ?‍♂??
Country flag
Well, your marginal cost will be very close to zero, not counting maintenance over time. But you've also got the up-front installation cost, which is what, $20-30K?

I'm not saying it's a bad deal, I'm saying it's not a zero-cost proposition. I'm also installing solar, so I'm with you 100%.
Complete solar system is 20k with batteries plus instillation.
Piece of mind not worrying about the grid priceless.

qpham63

First Name
Quan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Tacoma & Prius
Occupation
Aerospace Manufacturing Engineer
Country flag
Hard to get real scientific about a vehicle that is not out on the street but I am operating on the following premise/projections/ guesses. The CT will go about 2 miles on a KW. I have a Dodge diesel pickup (2001) and get right at 18 MPG. With my electric rates it will cost $.72 to get enough electrons to go as far as 1 gallon of Diesel takes me. Without going through exchange rates and liters per gallon conversions I think you can plan on saving over 80% of your fuel bill.
Enough people start to drive electric and canadian gov will hike up rates for those charging their vehicle to make up for lost revenue.

Sandy38618

First Name
Sandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mod 3 (CyberT)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Enough people start to drive electric and canadian gov will hike up rates for those charging their vehicle to make up for lost revenue.
They will always find a way to get our money ~ Gas tax ,property tax, sales, income etc. nothing new here! (sadly)

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
I remember CA was talking about how to tax ev owners, since they arnt buying gas the state and federal, is missing out on quite a bit of tax revenue
Sponsored