Charge costs and info

Zinc

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Gladiator, Tesla Cybertruck order 1 year.
Country flag
Watching several videos on model X cars using V3 chargers and speaking of time, locations and distance only. Nobody seems to mention cost as the cars typically come with free charging for a year or so. As someone who lives in a Condo and will not be charging at home unless stuck, what will the aprox costs be of a charge at a station? I have heard people say they get billed. How does it work, no credit card at the station?
Sponsored

egandalf

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
It might vary by location, so I would suggest using an app like A Better Route Planner to give you an idea.

You can set a beginning state of charge and plan a route involving the charger you would use and it will give you an estimated cost as well as the from- and to- wattages. Should give you some idea. Example:

Tesla Cybertruck Charge costs and info IMG_5155

I think in most cases, at least, you can figure a charge from 20% to 80% to be under $10. At least, that's what we've seen.

There may be other long-term parking options in the building or the area that would give you charge at a reasonable rate or even free. You'll find level-2 chargers at restaurants, parks, libraries, etc. sometimes. Try PlugShare to find some of those. They usually have the cost/rate outlined for the chargers they list.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Watching several videos on model X cars using V3 chargers and speaking of time, locations and distance only. Nobody seems to mention cost as the cars typically come with free charging for a year or so. As someone who lives in a Condo and will not be charging at home unless stuck, what will the aprox costs be of a charge at a station? I have heard people say they get billed. How does it work, no credit card at the station?
You pull up to a Supercharger and plug in. It charges your car. Later on you get an invoice by email (your car is tied to the email account associated with your Tesla account) and add your credit card info to the account. Subsequent charging is more-or-less transparent.

Supercharger rates vary significantly based on location even within a city. I’ve seen rates as low as $0.20 / kWh but most chargers are $0.30-0.38. At $0.38/ kWh you are saving a little versus an efficient gas car, but not a bunch. I suspect the Cybertruck will be much less expensive than ICE trucks even at the higher rates.

You can find free chargers and if you don’t have home charging, I recommend you chase some down. My local community college offers free charging, so does my local library. They are usually slower than Superchargers, but even picking up 20-30 miles free can be nice if it’s convenient.
Sponsored