Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Well I certainly hope so. As the world becomes blanketed with BEV charging stations, wouldn't it be great if homeowners (a la AIRBnB) start to share their charging ability, to keep Big Oil (looking at you, Shell) from cornering the market and charging way too much to charge? Like Uber meets AIRBnB for BEV's. Homeowners are paid instantly for providing a juice bump, make a bit of money while they're at it. No need to go to the local fueling station, get it from a fellow BEVie! I'm sure someone will come up with a mobile juice bumper, like a tow truck, with a massive generator, capable of getting you 300 miles of added range. Million dollar ideas, people. Get 'em while they're hot!
Sponsored

Revoltlution

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius (CyberSlug)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Add a destination charger to your front yard. I think tesla already worked out. software to share rates. I could be wrong.

Cyber_Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Siennas (2)
Country flag
In the "early days" all of the Internet EV groups had lists of people willing to let people charge at their home.

But nobody is putting a DCFC V3 SuperCharger in their garage, so there isn't much to share.

I was willing to share my L2 charger with folks back then, but I didn't plan on providing dinner, so where could they go for 12 hours while they charged?

I think I'm missing something about your plan... :confused:

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
I think I mobile quick charger is a better idea (just thought of it, but im sure its around somewhere), call up a guy to come charge your ev in like 30 minutes. sure it wouldnt save you money but could save you from a tow, or stress, or whatever.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Plugshare is a thing ^-^. More EVSEs like the Destination Chargers out this year that handle payment and access as a turn-key solution would make it much better.

Right now, the Utilities are against installations, though.

-Crissa

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
In the "early days" all of the Internet EV groups had lists of people willing to let people charge at their home.

But nobody is putting a DCFC V3 SuperCharger in their garage, so there isn't much to share.

I was willing to share my L2 charger with folks back then, but I didn't plan on providing dinner, so where could they go for 12 hours while they charged?

I think I'm missing something about your plan... :confused:
I stayed at a place in Albuquerque that has a Tesla Charger installed for guest use. That makes sense because you sleep there. Home charge sharing for desperate times make sense but as a Source of revenue, I think utility companies will definitely want a piece of action.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Tesla had a program, and it may still be ongoing, which provided a free HPWC and, I think it was, up to $11,000, for installation to any business who applied. The business covers the operation expenses. These are called "Destination Chargers" and are listed on PlugFinder. I'm sure some BnBs have them. Seems like a good way to get guests. The vast majority are free to use and the few that aren't usually have a note in PlugShare that says something like "Fee charged. Go to Guido's Pizza 2 miles away on Rte xx".

There is nothing to stop a homeowner from installing an HPWC or 14-50R and offering free charging to the public and a couple of people, bless 'em, have done so. They are found via PlugShare too. Everything is OK as long as you give the electricity away but as soon as you try to sell it you have obvious problems. This of course would not include the offering of a few bucks for the juice from a grateful motorist whom you saved from stranding at your farms in the middle of Idaho but if you set up a charging station with credit card reader then you have the city and utility to deal with.

My question would be "Why would anyone want to do this?" I don't see any advantage to the homeowner and I don't see much advantage to the public either.

cary1219

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FSD Tri-Motor CyberTruck Pre-Order RN114148589, 2016 FSD Tesla Model S 75, 1982 C10 Stepside, 1974 Corvette Stingray Convertible
Occupation
Industrial Training Coordinator
Country flag
I stayed at a place in Albuquerque that has a Tesla Charger installed for guest use. That makes sense because you sleep there. Home charge sharing for desperate times make sense but as a Source of revenue, I think utility companies will definitely want a piece of action.

Or install enough solar to cover it and cut the utilities completely out of the picture.

cary1219

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FSD Tri-Motor CyberTruck Pre-Order RN114148589, 2016 FSD Tesla Model S 75, 1982 C10 Stepside, 1974 Corvette Stingray Convertible
Occupation
Industrial Training Coordinator
Country flag
Everything is OK as long as you give the electricity away but as soon as you try to sell it you have obvious problems.

I do agree about selling it though. If I were to ever do one, I wouldn't charge. Problem for me is that it encourages people to be at my house and I don't people very well :D

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Everything is OK as long as you give the electricity away but as soon as you try to sell it you have obvious problems.
A network of EV owners could be formed. Let’s call it GSZ (Good Samaritan Zap). No money is exchanged. You get credit by Kilowatts you give and lose credits by what you get. A set of network rules will have to be abided by all members. Some rules are set by individuals to set their own restrictions. For example I could decide not to give to anyone with credits bellow -200KW, you could have no limits, The third person decides only give 30 miles of range and not above 40%. You can turn your node and rules on and off on the network manually or by a schedule. You get my drift. Of course this would be much better managed if it is integrated to EV software. This is just a quick initial brain fart. If it smells good, you guys can take it away with the details of what structure will likely to work well.

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
Your idea is the reason i didnt buy the Tesla branded charger for my home. as EVs continue to grow in popularity, inevitably more visitors to my home would potentially have EVs, and its nice to be able to offer friends and family the option to charge their Tesla or non-Tesla vehicle if they need to during their visit. While not on the 'general public' scale that you mentioned, its still allows others to charge

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I realize the water is under the bridge but your J1772 friends can charge from a Tesla HPWC.

Last edited:

Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
I think I mobile quick charger is a better idea (just thought of it, but im sure its around somewhere), call up a guy to come charge your ev in like 30 minutes. sure it wouldnt save you money but could save you from a tow, or stress, or whatever.
A plus point for the Tesla trailer to be a "150-250-350Kw+ power storage unit that can do all other functions too.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Keep in mind that a 100% efficient generator producing 250 kW (the maximum size of a Tesla SC) would require 335 HP of prime mover energy or 33 Powerwalls. Tesla has mounted powerwall superchargers on trailers for use during the black outs last summer in California but don't get the idea that Ray's Sunoco is going to be able to put something like this together.

There have also been some reports of smaller enterprises mounting a more reasonable sized generator on/in a truck and dispatching that to stranded drivers. The charging rates are, of course, pretty low but the idea is that in an hour's charging you might pick up enough to get you to a supercharger. The problem is that because of the slow rates achievable with a reasonably sized mobile solution ties up the truck for an hour or more per customer so that perhaps only a half dozen customers can be served per truck per day. I don't think they caught on.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Someone is already working on a portable charging solution for DC fast charge.

Sponsored