Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda ridgeline
Occupation
Electrician/inventor/retired
Country flag
i’m planning a trip, can I schedule a charging time slot at most charging stations?
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
i’m planning a trip, can I schedule a charging time slot at most charging stations?
Not at Tesla Superchargers. The few non-Tesla chargers I've used/ seen don't support it either.

You do see how many Supercharger stalls are open so if you see one further down the road full you can charger sooner or possibly skip a full station.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cyberbear

cyberbear

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda ridgeline
Occupation
Electrician/inventor/retired
Country flag
Not at Tesla Superchargers. rest. The few non-Tesla chargers I've used/ seen don't support it either.

You do see how many Supercharger stalls are open so if you see one further down the road full you can charger sooner or possibly skip a full station.
Not at Tesla Superchargers. The few non-Tesla chargers I've used/ seen don't support it either.

wouldn’t that be great if it could .it knows where you’re going ,knows when you’re gonna be getting there ,so all you have to do is get there on time and drive into the charging lot and there’s a spot waiting for you. Come on Tesla . Especially if Elon opens up the charging stations to the competitors.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
wouldn’t that be great if it could .it knows where you’re going ,knows when you’re gonna be getting there ,so all you have to do is get there on time and drive into the charging lot and there’s a spot waiting for you. Come on Tesla . Especially if Elon opens up the charging stations to the competitors.
This would vastly change the way Superchargers work. It would also make them less efficient as you'd have empty slots between scheduled charging times. There is no current way of indicating a charge stall is "Scheduled" or not scheduled so there would need to be some way to prevent people who are queued up from rolling into them regardless.

They would need a whole new Supercharger layout. Also, having an empty slot waiting for someone to show up for their appointment is inefficient.

I don't have a crystal ball, but seems unlikely to happen. Maybe a second set of "premium" chargers where you can schedule slots.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
This would vastly change the way Superchargers work. It would also make them less efficient as you'd have empty slots between scheduled charging times. There is no current way of indicating a charge stall is "Scheduled" or not scheduled so there would need to be some way to prevent people who are queued up from rolling into them regardless.

They would need a whole new Supercharger layout. Also, having an empty slot waiting for someone to show up for their appointment is inefficient.

I don't have a crystal ball, but seems unlikely to happen. Maybe a second set of "premium" chargers where you can schedule slots.
I totally get his concern. If your wait time is a crapshoot, it is hard to plan for anything.

I think something in between may not be a bad idea. Still be a first come, first serve system but with more info sharing. So in addition to vehicles currently charging, it would be based on all Tesla driver’s rout, SOC (the one’s shooting for that location) and historical data for the location, it can project the demand at the expected time of your arrival and give every driver the estimate of availability or wait time. If you decide to skip a location, it adjust the estimate for everyone.

Is it already doing that or it is just based on what is happening now at the supercharger?

Of course opening up super chargers may throw in a monkey wrench in my suggestion.

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
There is lots of stuff Tesla could do if they wanted to. Your route is planned by the mother ship, not in your car, so they know, to some extent, who is planning to charge at which charger when. They also know (or can know) where every Tesla on the road is. They also know the SoC of every car at the station, it's rate of charge and its charge limit so they could work out a pretty good estimate of your expected wait time upon arrival at at particular station.

But it is probably sufficient to just let drivers know, as they do currently, that 3 out or 7 stalls are currently occupied. I've chsnged planned charging stops en-route based on no more than this information.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Maybe like autobidder you could 'bid' and if the slots were full, it would offer that bid to the cars present to move to make room for you immediately.

-Crissa
Sponsored