Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
StoreDot One Step Closer to Eliminating EV Charging & Range Anxiety with Launch of First Ever ‘5-Minute Charge’ Li-ion Battery Samples
Tesla Cybertruck Charging speeds image
  • Milestone announcement proves the commercial viability of StoreDot’s extreme fast charging battery technology utilizing nano-scale metalloids and proprietary
  • compoundsSample availability provides major proof point of StoreDot’s ability to scale its technology within existing lithium-ion (Li-ion) battery manufacturing lines for mass production
  • Launch paves the way for the introduction of StoreDot’s second-generation, silicon-dominant prototype battery for electric vehicles later this year
Herzeliya, Israel, January 19, 2021 –
StoreDot, the pioneer of extreme fast charging (XFC) battery technology, today announces the availability of its first-generation 5-minute charge battery engineering samples. This represents a significant milestone for the company in its mission to eliminate the range and charging anxiety of electric vehicles (EVs), demonstrating the commercial viability of XFC batteries for the first time via a small form-factor battery cell.

StoreDot is releasing the first production batch of sample cells, which is targeted at showcasing the technology to potential EV and industry partners. This first-generation battery was used to demonstrate the full charge of a two-wheeled EV in just 5 minutes for the first time (see video) and can offer ultra-fast charging to a number of other industries, such as commercial drones and consumer electronics. The first-generation engineering samples demonstrate to EV OEMs and battery manufacturers the successful replacement of graphite in the cell’s anode using metalloid nano-particles – a key breakthrough in overcoming major issues in safety, battery cycle life and swelling.

The sample cells were produced by StoreDot’s strategic partner in China – EVE Energy Co., Ltd. Crucially, unlike competing technologies which require significant capital expenditure in bespoke manufacturing equipment, StoreDot XFC batteries are designed to be produced on existing Li-ion production lines at EVE Energy. The samples are compliant with UN 38.3, which ensures the safety of Li-ion batteries during shipping.

Dr. Doron Myersdorf, CEO of StoreDot, comments: “StoreDot continues to go from strength to strength as we get one step closer to making our vision of 5-minute charging of EVs a commercial reality. Our team of top scientists has overcome inherent challenges of XFC such as safety, cycle life and swelling by harnessing innovative materials and cell design. Today’s announcement marks an important milestone, moving XFC for the first time beyond innovation in the lab to a commercially-viable product that is scalable for mass production. This paves the way for the launch of our second-generation, silicon-dominant anode prototype battery for electric vehicles later this year.”In collaboration with its strategic partners, StoreDot is in the vanguard of driving mainstream adoption of electric vehicles by overcoming the critical barrier of range and charging anxiety.

Dr Myersdorf concludes: “We founded StoreDot to achieve what many said could never be done – develop batteries capable of delivering a full charge in just five minutes. We have shown that this level of XFC charging is possible – first in 2019 with an electric scooter and again six months ago with a commercial drone. We are proud to make these samples available, but today’s milestone is just the beginning. We’re on the cusp of achieving a revolution in the EV charging experience that will remove the critical barrier to mass adoption of EVs.”.​
About StoreDot:
StoreDot is a pioneer of extreme fast charging (XFC) batteries that overcome the critical barrier to mainstream EV adoption – range and charging anxiety. The company has revolutionized the conventional Li-ion battery by designing and synthesizing proprietary organic and inorganic compounds, making it possible to fully charge an EV in just five minutes – the same time it takes to refuel a conventional combustion engine vehicle. StoreDot’s battery technology is optimized for best driver experience with XFC in Li-ion batteries, as well as future technologies for extreme energy-density (XED).

StoreDot’s strategic investors include BP, Daimler, Samsung Ventures and TDK. In 2019, the company achieved a world first by demonstrating the live full charge of a two-wheeled EV in just five minutes. In 2020, the company demonstrated the scalability of its XFC batteries for other industries, by fully charging a commercial drone in five minutes in another world first. Moving XFC battery technology from the lab to a commercially-viable product for the first time, StoreDot has launched engineering samples of its first-generation batteries that are designed to be manufactured at scale on traditional Li-lion production lines.

For more information see:
www.store-dot.com.
Media Contacts: Emma Jenkinson / Miguel AfonsoIncus
Media [email protected]
+44 (0) 1737 215200.​
Sponsored

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Not quite related to the content posted but it is related to the subject line so I post it here. This was new to me so I thought it may be useful to someone else that may not know:

Tesla supercharger charging speed:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
When I started driving Teslas I would curse if I had to take a paired stall and would disconnect and move the car if an unpaired one became available. I soon realized that this was kind of silly as the average charge time is around 20 - 30 minutes so that, in the first place, the guy that got A (assuming you are in B) is probably going to leave in a couple of minutes and in the second is probably far enough along in his charge that he is in taper and your share isn't going to be redued that much.

It is, of course, good to know about this but it isn't, IMO, something to even think about beyond grabbing an unpaired dispenser if one is available.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
When I started driving Teslas I would curse if I had to take a paired stall and would disconnect and move the car if an unpaired one became available. I soon realized that this was kind of silly as the average charge time is around 20 - 30 minutes so that, in the first place, the guy that got A (assuming you are in B) is probably going to leave in a couple of minutes and in the second is probably far enough along in his charge that he is in taper and your share isn't going to be redued that much.

It is, of course, good to know about this but it isn't, IMO, something to even think about beyond grabbing an unpaired dispenser if one is available.
Every man needs something to be upset about. The question is, how did you fill the void that realization created? ;)

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
By pondering that the next president would be either The Donald or Sleepy Joe.

Last edited:

CyberG

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 P85+
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
My car doesn’t go much past 50 kWh anymore, so it doesn’t matter if someone rolls up and grabs the next stall over.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
My car doesn’t go much past 50 kWh anymore, so it doesn’t matter if someone rolls up and grabs the next stall over.
What are you trying to say? A kWh is a unit of energy, Are you saying you can't charge your battery to more than 50 kWh? What was the original capacity? How old is the car? Which model?

Or are you saying that your car won't accept charge at more that 50 kW (which is a unit of power)? If that's at one of the mini (70 kW) SCs that's about right but if you are only getting that from a 150 kW or 250 kW charger at low SoC you have a problem and the car should be seen. If you are charging at high SoC (above 60%) then it is quite normal.

CyberG

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 P85+
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
What are you trying to say? A kWh is a unit of energy, Are you saying you can't charge your battery to more than 50 kWh? What was the original capacity? How old is the car? Which model?

Or are you saying that your car won't accept charge at more that 50 kW (which is a unit of power)? If that's at one of the mini (70 kW) SCs that's about right but if you are only getting that from a 150 kW or 250 kW charger at low SoC you have a problem and the car should be seen. If you are charging at high SoC (above 60%) then it is quite normal.
Sorry huge mistake! My car won’t charge past 50 kW, even at a v3 supercharger. It’s a 2013 P85+, and Tesla has indicated it is to preserve the battery pack and is normal.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Interesting. Do you know how much the range has degraded i.e. what the maximum range is and what it was originally? How many mile on it? We don't see much about 8 y/o Teslas so please excuse all the questions.

CyberG

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 P85+
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
Interesting. Do you know how much the range has degraded i.e. what the maximum range is and what it was originally? How many mile on it? We don't see much about 8 y/o Teslas so please excuse all the questions.
Mine has about 65k miles on it. It’s rare that I charge to 100%, but 90% is about 221 miles. I figure I would get about 245 at 100%, thus there has been about 20 miles of range degradation or about 8%. I figure that is within the standard degradation. Keep in mind though that the 221 figure is what the car says, actual mileage is substantially less. Although I drive without a care for range in almost all instances. That may be why I had to have the rear sub frame and drive unit replaced last year. :p
Sponsored