Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
There have been many people in our crowd that have proposed adding a generator to their CT to extend the range. Here is a video of someone who did the same thing for a MS.

Sponsored

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
The thing I like about this is that it shows that the vehicle can be charged while it is being driven. Cool. But his generator is too small to keep up with his electricity utilization.

AND THE NOISE!!!!
WHAT??
THE NOISE!!!!

Yeah, this would totally ruin a nice quiet off road trip.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The thing I like about this is that it shows that the vehicle can be charged while it is being driven. Cool. But his generator is too small to keep up with his electricity utilization.

AND THE NOISE!!!!
WHAT??
THE NOISE!!!!

Yeah, this would totally ruin a nice quiet off road trip.
not to mention the people in the motel trying to sleep

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
I wish he explained what the generator put out (AC? DC? 120V? 240V? 400V?). Maybe he did and I missed it. I jumped through the video.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
this is why click based things are dumb.

Just put a generator on a hitch mount, quiter, doesnt modify the car as much, better efficiency, easily removable. and of course less cool looking

But I guess charging while driving might not be that hard of a mod, if Tesla doesnt have it from the factory:)

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I wish he explained what the generator put out (AC? DC? 120V? 240V? 400V?). Maybe he did and I missed it. I jumped through the video.
I watched the whole thing but he didn't really specify much of the specs. And what I really wanted to know was how he hooked it up for charging.

It gives me hope though that there will probably be a way to put a generator or extra battery bank in the CT bed to extend range when going deep off-road.

Ideally the hookup would not need to be an electrical connection hanging over the side to go into the charge port.

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
this is why click based things are dumb.

Just put a generator on a hitch mount, quiter, doesnt modify the car as much, better efficiency, easily removable. and of course less cool looking

But I guess charging while driving might not be that hard of a mod, if Tesla doesnt have it from the factory:)
So before he did an internal install of the generator, he added some power to the back of the vehicle. LOL.
Wish he would have tried regen while being pushed by the alternate engines.

I give the dude props for the interesting builds and great skills.

Last edited:

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
There have been many people in our crowd that have proposed adding a generator to their CT to extend the range. Here is a video of someone who did the same thing for a MS.

------------------------------
Youtube comment by Mark P
But a diesel generator would get better than 19MPG (His figure not mine). So the 25% more for the fuel is made back in extra MPG. Also the generator he chose charges 38 miles of range per hour so 2 gallons per hour. For his tank, that meant 3-4 fills on the 500 mile trip. That's costing similar time and effort to an electric top up at a super charger, for more money. $4.5 / gallon.

The 500 mile trip cost him $112.5 compared to using Superchargers at $20 peak times.
Using Superchargers he would have saved $90 that he could keep in his pocket or have spent on activities in the 40 minutes it takes at a level 3 super charger.

How much time total did he spend making 3-4 stops to refill his little gas tank?

He ran that extremely noisy engine all night just to charge the battery!!

Last edited:

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
Youtube comment by Mark P
But a diesel generator would get better than 19MPG (His figure not mine). So the 25% more for the fuel is made back in extra MPG. Also the generator he chose charges 38 miles of range per hour so 2 gallons per hour. For his tank, that meant 3-4 fills on the 500 mile trip. That's costing similar time and effort to an electric top up at a super charger, for more money. $4.5 / gallon.

The 500 mile trip cost him $112.5 compared to using Superchargers at $20 peak times.
Using Superchargers he would have saved $90 that he could keep in his pocket or have spent on activities in the 40 minutes it takes at a level 3 super charger.

How much time total did he spend making 3-4 stops to refill his little gas tank?

He ran that extremely noisy engine all night just to charge the battery!!
Not to mention the time he wasted driving slow to conserve energy while allowing the engine more time to charge the battery up. He did mention that he would be driving in areas with no Superchargers. Otherwise Superchargers or CCS chargers (for newer Teslas por older ones that have compatibility retrofitted) would likely have wasted less time.

TomGriff

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 MS 70D, 17 Bolt Premier, CT Reserved, Yamaha T7
Country flag
Because I charge while I eat (as I've gotten older I no longer eat while driving), buy coffee and go to the bathroom, there really is only maybe an extra 10-25 minutes every 300 miles during road trips. Based on how I travel, stop and charge, if I had a newer EV (pre-refresh batteries charge probably 50% slower than refresh S/X or M3/MY) I really don't think I would notice charging other than having to stop where a charger is (eg, less freedom on when and where to stop).

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
And what I really wanted to know was how he hooked it up for charging.
Bypassing the charging port so the car doesn't know.

(as I've gotten older I no longer eat while driving)
One of the benefits of AP is being able to eat something pretty healthy while it drives. Couldn't eat a salad while driving in the past.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
One of the benefits of AP is being able to eat something pretty healthy while it drives. Couldn't eat a salad while driving in the past.
Uhh, I don't think it's fork ready.

But... isn't that what spouses are for? Feeding you little bites as you drive?

-Crissa

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
LOL, so many gendered and stereotypical jokes come to mind. I drive alone a lot though.

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
Jason Hughes (a well-known Tesla hacker and owner of 057 Technology) posted on Twitter that he believes the video was faked. He references the charge curves seen in the car's energy screen as suspicious. It remains to be seen, but a possible future video by Warped Perception with more details on the electrical and communications side could disprove that theory.