China Cybertruck owner-CT will have a lot of storage

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford F-150, 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Boring under the ocean seems like a lot of work and that area has serious earthqakes. Wouldn't floating a tunnel make more sense?
190213-floating-tunnel-ac-1127p_26c7a989e1d2f1d6dbb3f60fc070f421.fit-760w.jpg
Anyone who had been in the Bering Sea in the winter could tell you a floating tunnel would be utterly demolished - it couldn't be put deep enough. The water is only around 100 feet deep.

Advertisement

OP
Cyberpark

Cyberpark

Reaction score
Vehicles
Benz,CT
Country flag
That depends on what you want to use your truck for and your personality. Taking it off road? A winch and bumper guards. Using it for your business? Maybe you want a custom wrap with details about your business.
I want to use CT for a road trip.Tesla also has a growing number of superchargers in China, Japan, South Korea, Europe, Canada and the United States.The United States, in particular, is close to covering 99 percent of the population because of the Bering Strait crossing from Asia to the Americas.It's probably too early for an electric car to do that right now. Do you plan to modify your own CT as well?Maybe I can ask you a lot with an open mind.

Superchagers_2021.png

Dids

First Name
Les
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 21 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Anyone who had been in the Bering Sea in the winter could tell you a floating tunnel would be utterly demolished - it couldn't be put deep enough. The water is only around 100 feet deep.
So you think digging a tunnel is more likely?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

Luke42

Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra Hybrid (2-Mode)
Country flag
I want to use CT for a road trip.Tesla also has a growing number of superchargers in China, Japan, South Korea, Europe, Canada and the United States.The United States, in particular, is close to covering 99 percent of the population because of the Bering Strait crossing from Asia to the Americas.It's probably too early for an electric car to do that right now. Do you plan to modify your own CT as well?Maybe I can ask you a lot with an open mind.

Superchagers_2021.png
The global Overlanding community appears to move their vehicles across oceans in shipping containers.

Being able to fit the vehicle into a shipping container is a big plus for them.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So you think digging a tunnel is more likely?
I'm not sure either is economically feasible with reasonably priced shipping available. A tunnel off the Bering Straight, regardless of what depth it's put, is going to need a huge annual budget to keep operational. If it did happen, I imagine it might be for EV's only so they wouldn't have to extract exhaust gasses. But I don't see the funding happening by private or public sources.

OP
Cyberpark

Cyberpark

Reaction score
Vehicles
Benz,CT
Country flag
[引用=“HaulingAss,POST:49158,成员:8245”]
冬天曾在白令海的任何人都可以告诉你,一条漂浮的隧道将被彻底摧毁--它不能放得足够深。水只有100英尺深。
[/引述]
The global Overlanding community appears to move their vehicles across oceans in shipping containers.

Being able to fit the vehicle into a shipping container is a big plus for them.
Thank you luke42. Are you going to remodel your CT for camping, too?

Luke42

Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
[引用=“HaulingAss,POST:49158,成员:8245”]
冬天曾在白令海的任何人都可以告诉你,一条漂浮的隧道将被彻底摧毁--它不能放得足够深。水只有100英尺深。
[/引述]

Thank you luke42. Are you going to remodel your CT for camping, too?
I plan to tow a travel trailer (caravan) with my Cybertruck.

My wife and I purchased this travel trailer early in 2021, and we currently tow it with a ten year old American-style pickup truck. Hopefully, I will swap my current pickup truck for a Cybertruck, when it becomes available.

My family would not fit in the Cyberlandr, so I will lot be buying one. I'm very skeptical about the Cyberlandr concept -- but the Cyberlandr was never meant for my family, so I try to mind my own business and not disparage it.

We plan to go on many family journeys with our caravan, and camp along the way and at our destination. Like China, the United States is a very large nation -- and we plan to visit the natural wonders in the American west very soon. As our kids grow and as our remote-work abilities improve, more ambitious trips will become possible!

OP
Cyberpark

Cyberpark

Reaction score
Vehicles
Benz,CT
Country flag
I plan to tow a travel trailer (caravan) with my Cybertruck.

My wife and I purchased this travel trailer early in 2021, and we currently tow it with a ten year old American-style pickup truck. Hopefully, I will swap my current pickup truck for a Cybertruck, when it becomes available.

My family would not fit in the Cyberlandr, so I will lot be buying one. I'm very skeptical about the Cyberlandr concept -- but the Cyberlandr was never meant for my family, so I try to mind my own business and not disparage it.

We plan to go on many family journeys with our caravan, and camp along the way and at our destination. Like China, the United States is a very large nation -- and we plan to visit the natural wonders in the American west very soon. As our kids grow and as our remote-work abilities improve, more ambitious trips will become possible!
That sounds very exciting.Cyberlandr is not for you what kind of people is it for?In China, there are more self-propelled trailers due to special reasons. I like the design of Cyberlandr very much, but I don't know how they can deliver the goods to me.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I love the concept. If it were me alone or me and the wife (instead of the family of 6) and I had the money I would get one. I’m excited to see one in person.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That sounds very exciting.Cyberlandr is not for you what kind of people is it for?In China, there are more self-propelled trailers due to special reasons. I like the design of Cyberlandr very much, but I don't know how they can deliver the goods to me.
Cyberlandr is for misguided people who don't know how to camp out, who are conditioned to be afraid of everything and think they need walls around them to feel safe, and who don't realize the form-factor is totally unsuitable to camping in.

Most people will be better served by buying a good tent and learning how to use it. Or, if not out in the wild, getting a hotel room. You can buy a lot af lodging for $40K!

Luke42

Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The Cyberlandr is intended for solo travelers (or couples?) who will be traveling long distance on unpaved roads.

My family of 5 (my wife, myself, three children) would not have enough space in the Cyberlandr. This is what we chose:
https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/travel-trailers/no-boundaries/NB19.3/5363

The travel trailer I purchased is also much cheaper than the Cyberlandr's proposed price. And it's sitting in front of my house now.

Having spent some time inside existing RVs, I'm skeptical that the hard-sided origami tent approach that the Cyberlandr team is taking will work reliably (and without leaking) in the real world.

Also, one of the advantages of a compact travel trailer RV is being able to leave your bed and your stuff inside, so that you can quickly set up camp when you arrive somewhere. With the Cyberlandr, you have to pack up all of your stuff the same way you would with a tent. Where is the advantage over something like the rooftop tents the overlanders already use?

This is the type of rooftop tent I'm referring to: https//www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/g33897197/car-roof-top-tents/

There also are a number of compact campers which already fit into the beds od American-style pickup trucks. While it's good to see the Cyberlandr team doing a clean-sheet approach (innovation is good!), I fear that they are ignoring the lessons learned by these folks:
http://truckcampermagazine.com
There are already campers which solve the same problem as the Cyberlandr for American-style pickup trucks, and these designs include decades of refinement.

(I think the Australians have an industry producing similar campers tailored to the kinds of trucks they have. If I remember correctly some pickup truck models are shared between Australia and China. Maybe it would be easier to import a camper from Australia to China?)

However, I don't want to argue with the Cyberlandr fans about which solution is best. I bought the type of camper which fits my family, my budget, and the kind of adventuring I plan to do. Overlanding isn't really part of my family's plan at the moment -- so my caravan is a different tool for a different job. The fact that the Cyberlandr isn't intended for my family's travels isn't really relevant to its future success as a product. Hopefully the people for whom the Cyberlandr is intended will enjoy it.

I also hope my skepticism about the Cyberlandr's hard-sided tent approach is misplaced.

I won't be buying a Cyberlandr, but I wish the Cyberlandr team and their fans success and happy travels!

Luke42

Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Cyberlandr is for misguided people who don't know how to camp out, who are conditioned to be afraid of everything and think they need walls around them to feel safe, and who don't realize the form-factor is totally unsuitable to camping in.

Most people will be better served by buying a good tent and learning how to use it. Or, if not out in the wild, getting a hotel room. You can buy a lot af lodging for $40K!
If I needed what the Cyberlandr does, I'd just pack a tent, a folding table, and build a portable washbasin into a plastic box.

Come to think of it, I have most of that in my house already -- and I can get the rest of it from the hardware store and/or Amazon for a few dollars.

But I like seeing people try innovative approaches. I just think the Cyberlandr will look a lot more like a conventional truck camper once they solve all of the problems they've created for themselves. 🤷‍♂️

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Advantage of solid-shell collapseable:

Aerodynamics. You don't take a range hit.
Space. You can set up in the footprint of your truck. Great in public areas like beaches, parking lots, mountainous terrain.
Weather. Rigid sides are more weather resistant, better in rain, especially in wind.

So I could see using the Cyberlandr going places that are crowded, or to the beach or mountains where the wind never stops, or in mountain passes where there's not alot of space to fold out a level campsite.

-Crissa

Luke42

Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Advantage of solid-shell collapseable:

Aerodynamics. You don't take a range hit.
Space. You can set up in the footprint of your truck. Great in public areas like beaches, parking lots, mountainous terrain.
Weather. Rigid sides are more weather resistant, better in rain, especially in wind.

So I could see using the Cyberlandr going places that are crowded, or to the beach or mountains where the wind never stops, or in mountain passes where there's not alot of space to fold out a level campsite.

-Crissa
Kinda like this?
https://phoenixpopup.com/

Or this?
http://alaskancampers.com/

Or this even?
https://www.palominorv.com/truck-campers/backpack-truck-camper

(They're all pop-up truck campers, which fold down to a low profile on their road-going configuration.)

There's a lot of prior-art here. I fear that the Cyberlandr team is unaware of these options, and will end up reinventing the truck camper the hard way.

But, again, I hope I'm wrong and I wish them success.

Advertisement

Advertisement