swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
I'd love to see Tesla provide mount points where you could have the tonneau cover closed and still mount a rack on the back. I like to go kayaking and it would be nice to be able to transport the 'yaks on the rack and all of the accessories in the (secure) vault when I go long distances.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I'd love to see Tesla provide mount points where you could have the tonneau cover closed and still mount a rack on the back. I like to go kayaking and it would be nice to be able to transport the 'yaks on the rack and all of the accessories in the (secure) vault when I go long distances.
I believe there are going to be hard points for mounting racks above the cover.

I’ll probably haul mine in the vault with the cover down most of the time. Though that won’t work with the longer kayak. I don’t want to sacrifice range by mounting stuff outside the truck if possible.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
This image was from 2019. Tesla knows the Cybertruck needs to have roof rack anchor points. They also chose areas where maximum strength would support them. Notice they are at the pillars.

Tesla Cybertruck Closed tonneau rack system anchorpoints

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Racking begins with a philosophy first and aspirational element to drive the design objective.
My philosophy is minimalism “less is more”:
Less rack - more range, Less weight, Less noise, Less windage​
Less climbing - easier to use, more often, less risk of damage​
Less visible - more efficient, compact and complements ethos​
Aspirational element would be this design piece:
Tesla Cybertruck Closed tonneau rack system E6D0E1F5-0D7B-4799-9870-64D4B3F729F7

Design objective is maximize utility:
Removable mounts from Tesla anchor points​
Simple rack disassembly/assembly for stowage​
Pre-engineered anchor system eliminating rope,bags,straps,wire​
Custom racking fitments for bike,yak,shovel,Trax,​
Modular add-on for SXSramps,motorcycle,tent,water jugs,lumber​
Cybertruck warrants better than painted black pipe rack. Auxiliary elements are an opportunity to guild style and function to elevate and separate Cybertruck from ICE pickups that preceded it. Small details that reflect Tesla is not just electrifying the pickup with fancy marketing but addind to the class of the vehicle in thoughtful meaningful ways.
First candidate is molding rack upright vertical support pieces in form of the aspirational element above. Secondly, extruding lightweight Alum. aero-shaped bars to minimize windage /maximize racking.
Third those attachments to the aerobars should have Tesla engineering written just from looking at the innovation used to make racking secure, simple and foolproof.
Lastly, holistically whatever rack combination should exude designed and engineered for Cybertruck, efficiency and safety. No Maggies-drawers, bottles, bags or loose-y goose-y flapping containers or tarps.
Done correctly, even 3” cargo net webbing could function and look made for the truck.

OP
OP
swengl

swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
All the rack mounting points were outside of the tonneau cover. That's why the wings look 'thick'.

FGQwwTJXsA8VpI1.0.png

In close ups, there were six mounting points. Two on the tail, and four around the roof.

-Crissa
I figured they wouldn't leave us hanging. I seriously can't wait for this thing to hit the road. With all of the outdoor activities I want to use the CT for, I'll probably be living out of it most weekends.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I have to say I would very much love something akin to the rack on my Subaru. The roof has 2 raised rails on the sides which have little aerodynamic drag normally, but then you can pop out the crossbars when you need them. Very very slick, not sure why they are not more common.

Tough bit on the Cybertruck is the rear rack needs to be raised up while the front is relatively flat.