Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
A recent study conducted by the automotive industry research experts over at CarGurus indicates the Tesla Cybertruck is generating more real-world interest among consumers than the GMC Hummer EV.

Tesla Cybertruck Consumer Interest in Tesla Cybertruck Stronger Than GMC Hummer EV and F-150 EV, According to Study p-Edition-1-Exterior-Front-Three-Quarters-1024x683

CarGurus recently published the findings from its Electric Vehicle Sentiment survey, which asked 1,097 automobile owners in the U.S. about their attitudes toward electric vehicles and certain new EV makes and models. The survey included a question that asked consumers if they would genuinely consider purchasing any of the following future electric pickup truck models:

• GMC Hummer EV
  • Tesla Cybertruck
  • Ford F-150 EV
Tesla Cybertruck Consumer Interest in Tesla Cybertruck Stronger Than GMC Hummer EV and F-150 EV, According to Study Tesla-Cybertruck-Front-Three-Quarter

Only 16 percent of survey participants said they would consider buying the GMC Hummer EV, while 31 percent said they would consider the Tesla Cybertruck. The Ford F-150 EV fared better than the GMC Hummer EV, with 28 percent of participants saying they would consider the Blue Oval’s upcoming electric pickup offering.

The Tesla Cybertruck is also the most popular electric pickup truck among those who are most likely to purchase an EV as their next vehicle, CarGurus says. Among those who plan to own an EV within the decade, 40 percent are interested in a Tesla Cybertruck, while 32 percent are interested in a Ford F–150 EV and 17 percent in a GMC Hummer EV.

Tesla Cybertruck Consumer Interest in Tesla Cybertruck Stronger Than GMC Hummer EV and F-150 EV, According to Study 2021-Ford-F-150-002-Front-Three-Quarter-1024x683

While brand perception and marketing likely play a major role in this survey result, it’s worth noting that the GMC Hummer EV is the most expensive pickup truck of the three. The Hummer EV Edition 1 model that will launch later this year starts at $112,995, while the tri-motor EV3X will cost $99,995. The dual-motor EV2X and EV2 models will start at $89,995 and $79,995, respectively, but are not slated to arrive until spring 2023 and spring 2024. The Tesla Cybertruck, by comparison, is said to start at $39,900 for the single-motor rear-wheel-drive model, while the dual-motor model will start at $49,900 and the range-topping tri-motor will start at $69,900.

Tesla Cybertruck Consumer Interest in Tesla Cybertruck Stronger Than GMC Hummer EV and F-150 EV, According to Study dition-1-Exterior-071-rear-three-quarters-1024x683

It’s worth noting that GM is currently working to develop an electric version of its Chevy Silverado pickup, which will be a more cost-effective alternative to the GMC Hummer EV and likely a more direct comparison for the Cybertruck and Ford F-150 EV.

SOURCE: GMAUTHORITY
Sponsored

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
The article still does not make it clear enough about pricing. The lowest priced Hummer will not be available until 2024 or later and will cost 10s of thousands more than the highest model Cybertruck which will be more durable (cold rolled stainless steel, baby!!), higher range, more protected storage space (vault & frunk), longer bed, higher tow rating.

Ford F-150 EV will probable be closer but F-150 EV base model will probable be 10s of thousands more than the dual & single motor Cybertruck.

Also it is important to consider whether Ford actually makes a profit at whatever price they charge for the F-150 EV.

2023 Ford F-150 Electric
Starting at $70,000 est
https://www.caranddriver.com/ford/f-150-electric

Will the Electric Ford F-150 Actually Be Affordable?
by Allison Barfield on November 21, 2020
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/will-the-electric-ford-f-150-actually-be-affordable/

akcoyote

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model S; Dual motor CT w/FSD reservation
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I like to think of the results as: "Create a better design and people will want it."

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I bet if you asked people to name an electric truck that had been show on TV, they'd say the Cybertruck.

-Crissa
Tesla does not advertise so most TV watchers only saw Cybertruck on TV was almost 18 months ago at the Cybertruck reveal ( 2019 Nov) which might have made national news (& international news). Mostly car enhusiasats probably saw more recent Jay Leno & Cybertruck episode.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I like to think of the results as: "Create a better design and people will want it."
People have to know it exists first.

If it is sold by new car dealers and does not make a profit for the new car dealer, most people will not know it is there.

KrodEKid

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota corolla, Mazda 5
Country flag
Silverado EV? That would be nice to hear more about. I hope it is better thought out and engineered than the Hummer EV.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Tesla does not advertise so most TV watchers only saw Cybertruck on TV was almost 18 months ago at the Cybertruck reveal ( 2019 Nov) which might have made national news (& international news). Mostly car enhusiasats probably saw more recent Jay Leno & Cybertruck episode.
...And on the news every time someone wanted to make a point about big trucks or car fires or whatever.

It's all free rent in their minds.

-Crissa

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
Until Ford releases prices and range I don't know how anyone can feel that they are putting out and honest "consumer interest" article on that vehicle. I'm not even sure how someone can answer it without a given price and range. Obviously the interest would be high if they bring a competitor in at an unrealistic $10k and 1000 mile range and lower if they bring it in at mostly unachievable to the masses $200k and 100 mile range. The CT is getting great interest because it presents good value for the cost when compared to current full size trucks and range they are offering.

I personally would never buy a new $70k truck (like the CT3), because I can get a used 2 yr old full size 4x4 ext cab truck with a 6.5' bed with low miles for the $35k - $40k range. That is, I wouldn't consider it until I compare the cost of buying a USED $38k ICE truck and and paying $230/month in gas (avg 13.5/mpg @ $2.50/gal and 15k miles/year) and then consider that cost of gas over 15 years being about $42k; so my cost to own this used full size ICE truck (based on gas and purchase price) being at least $70k (assumes $2.50/gal for the next 15 years...we can only hope) and then compare that to a NEW $70k truck that will cost me about $54/month to charge (based on same mileage driven) or ~$10k after 15 years (assumes my current cost of $0.108/kwh at my house and a 200kwh pack that gets me 500 miles per full charge) so $80k to own after 15 years. So a $10k premium, or $666 premium per year...for NEW truck and by most accounts, "better" truck that does not require oil changes, and other moving parts maintenance. Seems like a decent deal.

Without a price and range from Ford, I can't gauge my interest vs the competition.
I can tell you I'm interested for sure. To what level?...I don't know until I see the price and range specs. Same goes for the potential electric Chevy Silverado.

Ford is the biggest player in the game. I expect them to bring a competitor. I don't buy any of the "Fix Or Repair Daily", "Found On Road Dead" BS. My last 4 trucks have been Fords with no problems, (2 x Rangers, F250, F150). If the electric F150 is released with a variant that has a 500 mile range and is priced at/under $70k, my interest will be high; same goes for Chevy. I have almost zero faith this will happen. If there is not a 500 mile variant, my interest will be 0. I expect they will release something with a 300-400 mile range and I will have limited spectator interest, but I 100% will not have any interest in buying it.

I saw there was mention of the extra durability of the CT due to the SS body being a point of consumer interest for the CT. I honestly don't care about the extra durability of the Tesla 30x cold rolled stainless steel. I've never own vehicle that I wanted to sell because I was no longer satisfied with the body of the vehicle. If it's old, I expect the body to have some dents, scratches and even a little rust. If it does not have dents, scratches and rust, I don't currently value it much differently...unless it's excessive. Hell, if it made the CT cheaper and gave it more range to use aluminum and paint...I'd prefer that (Range and price are still king and queen to me). The value for older trucks is based on miles and whether those miles were hard (towing/plowing) or easy (Hwy), and what tech has advanced that potentially makes the older truck somewhat obsolete. I can't think of any individual tech change that would fit this bill, but small incremental changes over 15 years can make a difference worth thinking about. With over the air updates becoming more prevalent, this issue may become less of an issue.

CostcoSamples

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Odyssey
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
GM and Ford are brand new to the EV space, and we don't know much about their batteries. Battery tech is king. Range and durability need to be really good. A bad battery can effectively kill a vehicle. Look at old Teslas - a few faulty cells can kill the whole pack and cost of replacement is more than the value of the vehicle. Thus if you draw the short straw, your old Model S can be a throw away car after the 7 year warranty.

I didn't buy a Tesla when they were a new brand, and I won't buy an EV from any new EV maker (legacy auto included). For me its Tesla or ICE. I want to see at least 5 to 10 years of EV experience before I purchase from a company. So far only Tesla meets that criteria.

Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
The Hummer doesn't do it for me.

I have owned various trucks/cars ( propane powered and gas) but never an EV.

The interest in the CT is intriguing but will those with interest get one? Let's see.

I still contend that vehicle prices WILL increase because of inflation (money "printing" mainly).

So how much will each CT increase? Don't know BUT Tesla might offer great loan/financing packages that could go out as far as 12+ years. And if they did so, there is good money to be had.

TipToeTom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Genesis /Cybertruck
Occupation
Government Stooge
Country flag
A recent study conducted by the automotive industry research experts over at CarGurus indicates the Tesla Cybertruck is generating more real-world interest among consumers than the GMC Hummer EV.

p-Edition-1-Exterior-Front-Three-Quarters-1024x683.jpg

CarGurus recently published the findings from its Electric Vehicle Sentiment survey, which asked 1,097 automobile owners in the U.S. about their attitudes toward electric vehicles and certain new EV makes and models. The survey included a question that asked consumers if they would genuinely consider purchasing any of the following future electric pickup truck models:

• GMC Hummer EV
  • Tesla Cybertruck
  • Ford F-150 EV
Tesla-Cybertruck-Front-Three-Quarter.jpg

Only 16 percent of survey participants said they would consider buying the GMC Hummer EV, while 31 percent said they would consider the Tesla Cybertruck. The Ford F-150 EV fared better than the GMC Hummer EV, with 28 percent of participants saying they would consider the Blue Oval’s upcoming electric pickup offering.

The Tesla Cybertruck is also the most popular electric pickup truck among those who are most likely to purchase an EV as their next vehicle, CarGurus says. Among those who plan to own an EV within the decade, 40 percent are interested in a Tesla Cybertruck, while 32 percent are interested in a Ford F–150 EV and 17 percent in a GMC Hummer EV.

2021-Ford-F-150-002-Front-Three-Quarter-1024x683.jpg

While brand perception and marketing likely play a major role in this survey result, it’s worth noting that the GMC Hummer EV is the most expensive pickup truck of the three. The Hummer EV Edition 1 model that will launch later this year starts at $112,995, while the tri-motor EV3X will cost $99,995. The dual-motor EV2X and EV2 models will start at $89,995 and $79,995, respectively, but are not slated to arrive until spring 2023 and spring 2024. The Tesla Cybertruck, by comparison, is said to start at $39,900 for the single-motor rear-wheel-drive model, while the dual-motor model will start at $49,900 and the range-topping tri-motor will start at $69,900.

dition-1-Exterior-071-rear-three-quarters-1024x683.jpg

It’s worth noting that GM is currently working to develop an electric version of its Chevy Silverado pickup, which will be a more cost-effective alternative to the GMC Hummer EV and likely a more direct comparison for the Cybertruck and Ford F-150 EV.

SOURCE: GMAUTHORITY
They think because it's electric, ppl will want it.....they are so wrong.....

beeeasybro

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Avalon,Outback, and previously Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Boat Captain
Country flag
my buddy sends me a pic of the hummer ev and says.... me likey... but who will actually buy it other than bill gates that just wants to piss off his 'buddy' elon

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
I saw a report earlier today, that said the Hummer weighs over 4.5 tons at 9046 lbs! ?
Sponsored