CRAZY resale value of the Cybertruck

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
With supply and demand push pricing I predict the resale value of early Cybertrucks is going to be off the charts. I think more than a few early reservations were made by speculators who plan to profit by flipping their trucks immediately after taking delivery. I think that we will see $50k Dual Motor Cybertrucks listed for $70-$80k on eBay Motors.
Sponsored

Last edited:

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
I think it will be state by state as well as dependent on the text of the potential upcoming tax breaks. If I get a 7500 rebate and I don't have to pay car sales tax (collected by DMV from the purchaser in my state), then selling at sticker price is an easy 10% profit.

That's always some yahoo who posts a limited supply item for sale for more. There's usually a buyer too. How many CT for a given geography, for a specific margin, that actually gets purchased...? Some, but never as much as the press they get.

Also, I haven't been tracking how the resale of FSD works. Does it go with the car or per owner? At 7 to 10K, that'll make a big difference.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
I think it will be state by state as well as dependent on the text of the potential upcoming tax breaks. If I get a 7500 rebate and I don't have to pay car sales tax (collected by DMV from the purchaser in my state), then selling at sticker price is an easy 10% profit.

That's always some yahoo who posts a limited supply item for sale for more. There's usually a buyer too. How many CT for a given geography, for a specific margin, that actually gets purchased...? Some, but never as much as the press they get.

Also, I haven't been tracking how the resale of FSD works. Does it go with the car or per owner? At 7 to 10K, that'll make a big difference.
FSD sticks to the vehicle it was purchased for. If FSD is solved between now and when you want to sell it, it could cause your truck to appreciate a very significant amount.

OP
OP
Mini2nut

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
Tesla is currently at Level 2 autonomous driving. The driver is currently liable for any accidents. At Level 5 the liability falls 100% on the manufacturer. It's one of the main reasons why Tesla is not rushing Level 5 autonomous driving.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag

the owner..... fsd isn't transferable with the vehicle.

Bluechip506

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Mazda CX9, Mazda Miata
Country flag
I am hoping there will be a subscription service for FSD but he time the CyberTruck is delivered. I am not sure I really want to pay for something I would not really use all the time.

OP
OP
Mini2nut

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
Trust me when I say standard Autopilot is all you really need. IMHO there is really no need to spend $10k on FSD. AP is a joy to use on the freeway and it removes virtually all of the stress from driving. We are thoroughly enjoying standard AP on our Model Y.

New owners are going to love it in their new Cybertruck’s. Fly into Austin, TX to pick up your factory fresh Cybertruck and use AP to navigate you home safely and stress free. The NAV system will automatically guide you to the next Supercharger.

Last edited:

Bluechip506

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Mazda CX9, Mazda Miata
Country flag
Yes, we have AP2 on our Model S (late 2016) and it is pretty good. It has a lot the features that are only included in the FSD option now like navigate on AP, auto lane change, summon and auto park. If the CT had all that then I would be happy without FSD. We almost bought FSD when we ordered the S but wisely thought otherwise.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Tesla is currently at Level 2 autonomous driving. The driver is currently liable for any accidents. At Level 5 the liability falls 100% on the manufacturer. It's one of the main reasons why Tesla is not rushing Level 5 autonomous driving.
Tesla's FSD has a minimum of 2 interest groups: (1) people that want the car to do the driving, and (2) robotaxi. For the former, if FSD is functionally doing the driving but you have to pay attention, then you win. So it could stay Level 2 but you would still have a car that is driving you around. For the latter, it must be Level 5, period. What has Elon been pushing? Robotaxi. Sure, with Level 5 one view is that it is the automaker's responsibility, but liability is not listed in the SAE table of autonomous levels; it is inferred. What they do say is that the driver has no role in driving for Level 5. They are already playing the liability game with Tesla at Level 2 so I am not sure trying to push it off to Level 5 is really pragmatic. There are a lot of people who simply refuse to see value in FSD unless they can fall asleep and feel confident that they will arrive at their destination safely and on time (whatever that means). Tesla cannot force the issue on this; it is about public policy. What Tesla can do is to make sure that their cars can drive bettern than people in all circumstances and driving conditions. Add that they will try to keep me from injury caused by all the crazies on the road and I'm in.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Tesla's FSD has a minimum of 2 interest groups: (1) people that want the car to do the driving, and (2) robotaxi. For the former, if FSD is functionally doing the driving but you have to pay attention, then you win. So it could stay Level 2 but you would still have a car that is driving you around. For the latter, it must be Level 5, period. What has Elon been pushing? Robotaxi. Sure, with Level 5 one view is that it is the automaker's responsibility, but liability is not listed in the SAE table of autonomous levels; it is inferred. What they do say is that the driver has no role in driving for Level 5. They are already playing the liability game with Tesla at Level 2 so I am not sure trying to push it off to Level 5 is really pragmatic. There are a lot of people who simply refuse to see value in FSD unless they can fall asleep and feel confident that they will arrive at their destination safely and on time (whatever that means). Tesla cannot force the issue on this; it is about public policy. What Tesla can do is to make sure that their cars can drive bettern than people in all circumstances and driving conditions. Add that they will try to keep me from injury caused by all the crazies on the road and I'm in.
FSD case (1): Lone Ranger hands-off driving for owners who stay in-the-loop. This is AutoPilot promised reality-close-at-hand. Tesla FSD benefits from the billion miles experience factored into FSD yearly improving its failovers.

FSD case (2): Robotaxi for-hire carriage with no driver, no owner just a user application ala Uber. This is an incremental reality that will exponentially approach Level5 in high experience factor areas before others. Expect Level5 to become reality for some before others, some if ever. Licensed operation of a motor vehicle law will usurp industry accreditation. Insurance industry more than any other entity will have more to gain one way over the other. Oddly, EV mfgrs will need insurance influence to Robotaxi. Enough said.

FSD case (3): Caravan mode where unrelated, unaffiliated group of vehicles aggregate for “follow me” through a determined distance. FSD could reach this sub-application for FSD equipped in caravan mode. Long trips Caravan provides a level of predictability, following distance and boring route safety over being a Lone Ranger.

FSD case (4): Convoy mode affiliated and/or related group of vehicles travel in-sync at command of a lead FSD vehicle. Semi, Robotaxi and .mil are a natural fit over owner vehicles. Hig5): potential to have real application in real world environs paying real money to achieve FSD in fleets.

FSD case(5): TollSD uses metrics based off usage. Tesla.app payments processing integration for activation overcomes high upfront, non-transferability objections.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Several of these cases don't require level 5 autonomy. A caravan only needs level 3, for instance, since it's just expected to follow along. The lead driver would have to pull over when it finds its limit. Same for level 4, but it could do it without a driver in the lead vehicle.

The thing is, 3-5 are regulatory limits, not really AI, since they all basically require the same level of autonomy.

-Crissa

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag

I definitely recall reading that the FSD now stays with the vehicle for life regardless of who owns it. Sorry, no source but i recall that being the result of a previous dispute. Someone bought a used vehicle with FSD and somehow it was removed then tesla put it back on etc.
Sponsored