CT Plaid - Interior by Mercedes

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I have also been in Plaid, it was nice but plain at the same time, but Tesla chic. I can't compare to a entry level Y or standard S. Obviously I am not advocating velour or dingle balls, it would have to be classy and truck worthy. I think upgraded vented seats could be a main differentiator.
Don't worry. The Cybertruck interior will be more cowbell than dingle ball and velour.

And what truck owner wouldn't want more cowbell? ?
Sponsored

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
You aren’t alone.

I wouldn’t sweat it too much. I suspect one way or the other Tesla will launch something palatable to us. Lots of ways they can change things up and make reasonable options for everyone even if the top end product is more expensive.

Adding a 420+ mile dual motor truck somewhere in between the current 300m and 500 mile options for example would go along ways to placating many of us.
the 500 mile range is still
important to me though, being in northern Canada.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
It's strange to me that nobody has picked up on the Plaid CT, it's about performance.

Look at what Tesla has just done, They came out with a Plaid Model X that beats basically any production vehicle. That's a 6 seater SUV for God's sake!!!! If you don't believe me, watch the video below of a Plaid X terrorizing a Lamborghini Huracan EVO. It wasn't even close! It's obvious to me the Plaid CT, will be that kind of monster. Sub 10sec. Quarter mile pick-up truck.
BTW the plaid Model X sells for $119K.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It's strange to me that nobody has picked up on the Plaid CT, it's about performance.
Yeah, curious thing about Plaid is it is not Tesla’s long range offering.

Once you peel off the idea that they are not just launching models which correspond to their original offering, there are a million permutations.

Dual 2WD
Quad LR
Quad Plaid

Dual 2WD SR
Quad LR

Dual AWD SR
Dual AWD LR
Quad Plaid

Dual 2WD SR
Dual 2WD LR
Quad Plaid

They all seem somewhat equally likely. I do think they will stick with 2-3 basic models though. That plus there are certain to be a few permutations of tire configurations will make for a fair number of different setups.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag

Once you peel off the idea that they are not just launching models which correspond to their original offering, there are a million permutations.

Dual 2WD
Quad LR
Quad Plaid

Dual 2WD SR
Quad LR

Dual AWD SR
Dual AWD LR
Quad Plaid

Dual 2WD SR
Dual 2WD LR
Quad Plaid

They all seem somewhat equally likely. I do think they will stick with 2-3 basic models though. That plus there are certain to be a few permutations of tire configurations will make for a fair number of different setups.
I don't see any reason Tesla would make a dual motor anything that isn't AWD. I do think you may be onto something with Dual SR, Dual LR, and Quad Plaid. So many people want longer range and would be totally happy with 0-60 in 4.5 sec.
I always thought it was strange that Elon was touting about having a Roadster with 600 miles of range. Who wants a sports car with all that extra weight? Also look at real world use. I bet the average Roadster will be driven less than 3000 miles a year. The same with a Plaid CT. It won't be a daily driver or roadtrip vehicle.

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag

Dual 2WD
Quad LR
Quad Plaid

Dual 2WD SR
Quad LR

Dual AWD SR
Dual AWD LR
Quad Plaid

Dual 2WD SR
Dual 2WD LR
Quad Plaid

I am not totally dismissing the Trimotor or the single rear motor. With the mega casting and structural pack, I don't think it is that difficult to have more options.

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I don't see any reason Tesla would make a dual motor anything that isn't AWD. I do think you may be onto something with Dual SR, Dual LR, and Quad Plaid. So many people want longer range and would be totally happy with 0-60 in 4.5 sec.
I always thought it was strange that Elon was touting about having a Roadster with 600 miles of range. Who wants a sports car with all that extra weight? Also look at real world use. I bet the average Roadster will be driven less than 3000 miles a year. The same with a Plaid CT. It won't be a daily driver or roadtrip vehicle.
The range or big battery pack is a byproduct of the power required for that acceleration.
I don't think you could have a roadster with 200 miles of range with the same acceleration and top end. Same with the CT Plaid.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I am not totally dismissing the Trimotor or the single rear motor. With the mega casting and structural pack, I don't think it is that difficult to have more options.
Oops. I didn’t mean to either. I’m personally thinking it’ll just be dual and quad… but you are totally right!

Just shows how crazy you can get with speculation!

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The range or big battery pack is a byproduct of the power required for that acceleration.
I don't think you could have a roadster with 200 miles of range with the same acceleration and top end. Same with the CT Plaid.
Not sure I’m totally sold that you’d need 500 miles range for Plaid. The Model X is in the ballpark of the Cybertruck in terms of weight and gets Plaid acceleration with a 100 kWh battery.

If you are after acceleration, the 180-220 kWh pack in the long range model will likely slow it down on 0-60 times.

The Roadster is in a different ballpark. It gets 600 miles range and acceleration likely on a Model S sized or even smaller pack due to it’s lower size and weight.

Somewhere, there is a magic number where the amount of power the battery can deliver is just perfect for performance. I suspect the reason the Model S Plaid and LR don’t have 500 miles range is in part because increasing the range was negatively impacting performance.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I've said this before, but I'll say it again: Tesla aligns their choices to always be two or three.

They make a budget model, a range model, and a performance model.

The performance model has to have the battery to be a performance model. The big battery has lower voltage sag, and is more resilient to heavy use.

The range model doesn't need all the motors, but it does need the efficient one. Two motors can give a wider torque range, which can increase efficiency.

And the budget model strips out the expensive, heavy chunks.

One thing I doubt is that Tesla will complicate matters by having different axles with no steering.

Tesla tries not to have a complex set of components... That raises costs in parts you need to keep for repairs, it raises costs in having different assembly instructions. And those are costs they could save to put in new, better, cheaper components on everything instead.

-Crissa

Last edited:

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Motors mean something in the equation. The difference in Plaid vs P100 raven isn't batteries. Also, 3 vs 4 of the same motors, wouldn't 4 have more power, with the same battery.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
As a general rule of thumb, if you confuse the customer, you have lost them. Worst thing is too many decisions.

Also, risk losing the customer if they think you have been too smart for your own good.

OEM's have clear different truck offerings to cater for various work needs. They focus on servicing customer requirements. It's an art !
They accessorise as a service.

Crissa is right, there are price points... .. a high, a medium, a low. Sales 101.

So balance is needed, and common sense prevails. Keep the message simple.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
As a general rule of thumb, if you confuse the customer, you have lost them. Worst thing is too many decisions.

Also, risk losing the customer if they think you have been too smart for your own good.

OEM's have clear different truck offerings to cater for various work needs. They focus on servicing customer requirements. It's an art !

Crissa is right, there are price points... .. a high, a medium, a low. Sales 101.

Someone needs to tell Ford and GM this.

You want an F-150? Is that the Raptor? The XLT, the Lariat, the Lariat Platinum, or the Lariat Platinum Holey Guacamole Edition? Moon Roof or Sun roof? Oops you gotta upgrade to the convenience package to qualify for that. Makes your head spin.

I’m a big fan of simple choices. LR or Performance, pick a color. That’s me. I think most people prefer that… oh and can I order it over the internet while I’m watching Pulp Fiction in my underwear? Oh yes, that’s even better.

Not hard to see why Tesla is doing so well.

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag

Tesla has done a good job on optimizing production by limiting options. I think there is a balance to be had and I think the megacasting will actually make options easier for the powertrain.

As far as the interior, I would think there would be at least 2 choices. Entry level with hard floor surfaces and a carpeted SUV like interior. Some CT3 owners might still prefer the former so it would not necessarily tied to a particular powertrain.

Tesla no hassle shopping is pretty easy though, click a box and the price and sometimes range or performance changes. Not that difficult.

I am not sure how I feel about turning on features with software for a premium. In the case of the rear seat warmer you paid for the heat cable installed (even if you didn't), it takes up a little mass, it might even wear the foam different. Why can't this be standard? It feels a little big 3 dirty.
Sponsored