Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered Cyber Truck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Has anyone heard of a tesla trailer for CT with additional battery pack built in? I tried tweeting Elon but no reply.
Sponsored

Noncorporeal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1982 Jeep Scrambler, 2010 Toyota Venza, 2007 Honda Element, 2021 CT dual motor
Country flag
Personally, I donā€™t think they are going to put batteries in the trailer. Mainly because that would suck up a bunch of batteries that could be used to make more cybertrucks. But if this battery technology they are planning on releasing in April is as good as it is rumored to be, there might not be any need for more batteries! And also, those batteries would add a lot of extra weight, making the electric motors work harder and use more power.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Personally, I donā€™t think they are going to put batteries in the trailer. Mainly because that would suck up a bunch of batteries that could be used to make more cybertrucks. But if this battery technology they are planning on releasing in April is as good as it is rumored to be, there might not be any need for more batteries! And also, those batteries would add a lot of extra weight, making the electric motors work harder and use more power.
One imagines the trailer would also have a motor if it had batteries for regen braking and motoring.

Noncorporeal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
One imagines the trailer would also have a motor if it had batteries for regen braking and motoring.
True, however that would continue to add loads of weight and cost! the cost of a trailer loaded with batteries like that would be pretty extreme. probably even more than the cost of the truck. All in all, batteries in the trailer probably isnā€™t viable, but they could do solar on top of the trailer to get some extra miles out of it, especially with giga NY pumping out solar tech.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
True, however that would continue to add loads of weight and cost! the cost of a trailer loaded with batteries like that would be pretty extreme. probably even more than the cost of the truck. All in all, batteries in the trailer probably isnā€™t viable, but they could do solar on top of the trailer to get some extra miles out of it, especially with giga NY pumping out solar tech.
I also hope battery day is amazing. But cybertruck is shown with a Tesla trailer which implies Tesla will make a trailer and the additional price of the batteries will quickly be recovered by the lower cost of electricity vs fuel.

Noncorporeal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I also hope the battery day is amazing. But cybertruck is shown with a Tesla trailer which implies Tesla will make a trailer and the additional price of the batteries will quickly be recovered by the lower cost of electricity vs fuel.
Me too! I don't really think they would put batteries in the trailer either way, but in some renders, we have seen an RV trailer. I would put money on them attaching a battery pack to that, seeing as you could power internal appliances and outlets without drawing from the cybertruck. And solar on top to recharge that battery pack. However, you would probably have to charge that large trailer at a Megacharger, because it just wouldn't fit at a regular supercharger, and rather than disconnecting the cybertruck and charging that separately, the trailer and the truck could be charged with one plug on the trailer!

LeViper20

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pre-ordered Cybertruck
Country flag
I think it is possible for the trailer to have its own motors and it's own battery. This is not something new. There is already out there a trailer concept that has that capability and it does for the trailer to be parked by itself using an app. The additional benefit of having a trailer that would assist pulling it with the Cybertruck, means that the truck will need less effort and less battery consumption to be driven with the trailer. So, in the end you could theoretically have an extended driving range while using the trailer. Also, if you consider that there will be lots of space to add solar panels, in theory, you could have a combined system that will allow you of the grid living for 4 days, or so.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Charles

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered Cyber Truck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I think it is possible for the trailer to have its own motors and it's own battery. This is not something new. There is already out there a trailer concept that has that capability and it does for the trailer to be parked by itself using an app. The additional benefit of having a trailer that would assist pulling it with the Cybertruck, means that the truck will need less effort and less battery consumption to be driven with the trailer. So, in the end you could theoretically have an extended driving range while using the trailer. Also, if you consider that there will be lots of space to add solar panels, in theory, you could have a combined system that will allow you of the grid living for 4 days, or so.
Thanks, i figured someone had thought of this. Seems like a good idea if going on a camping trip with no charging units.

shaneaus

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy 1500 Z71
Country flag
IDK about a trailer... As others have said - more weight, more wheels, potential brakes and suspension, and one can't haul a grant load for business if one also needs to haul a battery trailer...

What I'd prefer to see - a battery pack that takes two persons to lift, sides into the back of the CT truck, and has "daisy chain" connections for power and cooling transfer.

This would mean that a person or business could purchase between one and (maybe, depending on size) four battery packs as needed for additional power. They would charge along with the CT and when driving the CT cooling system would keep them cool as well.

I think this, if implemented, would be a game changer for business use applications for the CT!

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
IDK about a trailer... As others have said - more weight, more wheels, potential brakes and suspension, and one can't haul a grant load for business if one also needs to haul a battery trailer...

What I'd prefer to see - a battery pack that takes two persons to lift, sides into the back of the CT truck, and has "daisy chain" connections for power and cooling transfer.

This would mean that a person or business could purchase between one and (maybe, depending on size) four battery packs as needed for additional power. They would charge along with the CT and when driving the CT cooling system would keep them cool as well.

I think this, if implemented, would be a game changer for business use applications for the CT!
I can easily envision this, each module is approximately 1/3 the width of the bed, locks down to the slots in the floor. So you can mount one in the middle (with atv wheels or motorcycles on either side), or maybe even two on either side with the middle left open (say for a 5th wheel?), or all three for max range.

Maybe even make them so they can be stacked?

Daisy chained and with coolant, there are some expensive connectors that allow lines to be kept full, but there would still be air bubbles added everytime you connect... That will need some kind of automated purging system... which adds expense and weight.

Maybe their no-spill connectors? Not sure. https://www.boydcorp.com/resources/...ogies/fluid-coupling-connector-selection.html

shaneaus

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy 1500 Z71
Country flag
I can easily envision this, each module is approximately 1/3 the width of the bed, locks down to the slots in the floor. So you can mount one in the middle (with atv wheels or motorcycles on either side), or maybe even two on either side with the middle left open (say for a 5th wheel?), or all three for max range.

Maybe even make them so they can be stacked?

Daisy chained and with coolant, there are some expensive connectors that allow lines to be kept full, but there would still be air bubbles added everytime you connect... That will need some kind of automated purging system... which adds expense and weight.

Maybe their no-spill connectors? Not sure. https://www.boydcorp.com/resources/...ogies/fluid-coupling-connector-selection.html
Most fluid systems have a bubble purge integrated. So, the CT system likely already has this and within a few minutes the entire system would be purged. Um... But, now that I think about it my opinion is based on really old tech. Maybe, not with new tech?

I was, actually thinking the packs would run side to side. This way when the first pack was slid to meet the cab the center of gravity would remain center to the truck. Then, additional packs would slide forward. 3-4 packs and they would create a new bed floor raised up by a bit more than one level of batteries.

But, your idea of the pack running front to rear is great as well for a versatile load and ease of use with a fifth wheel.... I like it.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Most fluid systems have a bubble purge integrated. So, the CT system likely already has this and within a few minutes the entire system would be purged. Um... But, now that I think about it my opinion is based on really old tech. Maybe, not with new tech?

I was, actually thinking the packs would run side to side. This way when the first pack was slid to meet the cab the center of gravity would remain center to the truck. Then, additional packs would slide forward. 3-4 packs and they would create a new bed floor raised up by a bit more than one level of batteries.

But, your idea of the pack running front to rear is great as well for a versatile load and ease of use with a fifth wheel.... I like it.
Having done some work with medium and high pressure hydraulic systems, I wish they had bubble purge systems in them, because purging air bubbles from the system was messy and not easy.

I did it so the additional weight would be centered over the rear axel. If there was too much hanging out over the rear axel, just would need to make it shorter... also, if being able to be loaded by two people, weight would need to be 72 to 148 lbs. Coolant will be a significant weight, so energy density and weight will be key for these.

Model 3's battery pack is about 1054 lbs and is composed of 4 modules, which means each module is ~18 kWh each at roughly 250 lbs. Supposedly the technology from battery day will allow them to reduce weight by 69%. Give some allowance for case, coolant, and connectors, call it 150 lbs for the bed pack and have 18kWh each. Putting 3 in would be 54kWh and 450 lbs (plus cable/hose combos).

The new cells are 80 mm, which is just over 3 inches. Double that for case and cooling, call it 6.5 inches (165mm) raise to the bed height. If they are just smaller versions of the pack in the truck, they would be structural and be able to take a load. This would be a 20 to 25% increase in the battery pack. Call it 600+ total miles (from the 500 original for the tri motor).

Definitely some will think it is worth it, but will Tesla?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The aux packs could have their own cooling vanes on them, which would simplify their construction. Even if they age prematurely, you would be able to exchange them easily (unlike the 'bump' batteries in the Leaf).

-Crissa

shaneaus

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy 1500 Z71
Country flag
Having done some work with medium and high pressure hydraulic systems, I wish they had bubble purge systems in them, because purging air bubbles from the system was messy and not easy.

I did it so the additional weight would be centered over the rear axel. If there was too much hanging out over the rear axel, just would need to make it shorter... also, if being able to be loaded by two people, weight would need to be 72 to 148 lbs. Coolant will be a significant weight, so energy density and weight will be key for these.

Model 3's battery pack is about 1054 lbs and is composed of 4 modules, which means each module is ~18 kWh each at roughly 250 lbs. Supposedly the technology from battery day will allow them to reduce weight by 69%. Give some allowance for case, coolant, and connectors, call it 150 lbs for the bed pack and have 18kWh each. Putting 3 in would be 54kWh and 450 lbs (plus cable/hose combos).

The new cells are 80 mm, which is just over 3 inches. Double that for case and cooling, call it 6.5 inches (165mm) raise to the bed height. If they are just smaller versions of the pack in the truck, they would be structural and be able to take a load. This would be a 20 to 25% increase in the battery pack. Call it 600+ total miles (from the 500 original for the tri motor).

Definitely some will think it is worth it, but will Tesla?
Yeah.... Might not be with it for a 500 mile tri-motor. But, could really be worth it for the lower range models.

Also, when removed the packs could be designed so they could be plugged into a solar home system as additional battery backup power.

And, if used for a work truck this could help if one needed to run power tools from the truck. It, when towing smaller loads/hauling loads inside the bed of the truck it might be enough to offset the range loss of the load.

Last edited:

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Has anyone heard of a tesla trailer for CT with additional battery pack built in? I tried tweeting Elon but no reply.
I would just be happy to hear that CT comes factory-equipped with AUX power connector.

Tesla can engineer the electronics, connector and bi-directional or not. Tesla Solar can gang Powerwalls or engineer a system for third party integration for CT, complete with pack cooling.

THAT would assure CT owners a Tesla-supported third party marketplace for embracing new and integrating existing well founded use cases for owners.

BUT please donā€™t encumber Tesla owners with an unsupported market of non-compliant software for a platform that holds future-proof promise. It would be a shame to not open the CT platform to third party integration. What could be a ā€œnicheā€ today (AUXpower) could be one component of a paradigm or power shift.

Somewhere these Powerwalls and self-contained pack systems in the near future fit into a larger network. Owners can dedicate to home, local micro-grid, travel or grid-tied distribution. Even portable auxiliary power in emergency situations could sprout-up. Itā€˜s SAAS that does not exist yet, that is Teslaā€˜s exclusively managing electrical AUX power.
Sponsored