Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
For those of you that want to geek out about potential payload difference between the trims, give me your best guess. I assume CT1 has the maximum payload of 3500 Ib, CT2 slightly lower due to additional motor but close. The largest difference should be between CT2 and CT3 since there is an additional motor (which may be the new fancy light motor used in S plaid) and more significantly additional batteries. There is 900 Ib of difference between Y long range and Y dual motor so I am thinking 2500 lb payload or less for CT3. Which is still more than most ICE trucks out there. What is your best guess for payload and weight for each Trim?
Sponsored

Last edited:

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I believe your estimate is hitting/near the mark. Since you stated the number, I will go with an optimistic 3,000 even though I do not believe it.

Less if I ate desert the night before.

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Note that the single motor is missing the whole front drivetrain, including gearbox and driveshafts etc and will only have one plaid motor in the rear. It will have the lightest approx. 100kWh pack weighing under 670kg (using MY figures)

The dual motor has front and rear drivetrains, gears and diffs as well as a motor front and rear. The front drivetrain will add at least 150kg. And has the second lightest approx. 140kWh pack weighing under 930kg. So around 410kg more than a SM.

The trimotor has the same setup as the DM, minus a rear diff, but with an extra motor and gears. So another 40kg or so more for the extra motor. Has the largest ca. 200kWh pack weighing under 1330kg. So 440kg more than the DM and 850kg more than the SM.

But...technically there is no reason why the payload rating can't be the same for all of them. This primarily depends on the suspension and wheel ratings. Note the TM also gets the highest tow rating. Although, I d expect the SM to have the best payload and then DM, but probably not by as much as their weight differences.

@ajdelange care to work out their respective weights from their acceleration performance given we now know each plaid motor is good for 340HP? ?

OP
OP
Diehard

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I had to reread the OP several times because I think it's saying that the payload will be the most for CT1 and go down from there yet everything I've read says it's the CT3 that will have the 3500 payload.

For example:
https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-cybertruck-electric-pickup-truck-photos-range-specs/

So confused.

I just want to be that guy that gets a pallet of concrete mix in the bed to show off, not because I use concrete.
I would trust it a little more if it came from Tesla. This may be just Motortrend interpretation. One of the reasons I think that may not be the case is that it will add to the variations between the trims and rear cast is a major part of that payload capacity and keeping capacity the same may require different casts (assuming weak link is not somewhere else) which deviates from simplifying the process.

I have no concrete evidence that they will be different. It is just a gut feeling based on past ICE truck specs. I could be completely wrong but I would hate to be the tire under full load in a CT3, if 3,500 Ib payload is the same on all three

Last edited:

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
For those of you that want to geek out about potential payload difference between the trims, give me your best guess. I assume CT1 has the maximum payload of 3500 Ib, CT2 slightly lower due to additional motor but close. The largest difference should be between CT2 and CT3 since there is an additional motor (which may be the new fancy light motor used in S plaid) and more significantly addition batteries. There is 900 Ib of difference between Y long range and Y dual motor so I am thinking 2500 lb payload or less for CT3. Which is still more than most ICE trucks out there. What is your best guess for payload and weight for each Trim?

You are making an assumption that could actually go the opposite direction.

CT3 is payload 3,500 and CT1 payload would be 4,400 lbs (CT3 payload 3,500 + 900 lbs of parts not in CT1).

OP
OP
Diehard

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You are making an assumption that could actually go the opposite direction.

CT3 is payload 3,500 and CT1 payload would be 4,400 lbs (CT3 payload 3,500 + 900 lbs of parts not in CT1).
You are correct. It is only an assumption based on the fact that 3500 is already way over competition and traditionally, advertised specs are best case scenario however I would love it if it goes the other way as you have noted. Tesla does try to over deliver after launch.

Last edited:

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
My opinion is based on experience with overloading my trucks and the unfortunate results shown when my mechanic friends showed me what happens when you overload the wrong axles (the load pinch/cuts the axle in half). This has nothing to do with engine (or motor in an EV) or transmission. It has everything to do with framework and suspension. Payload, towing capacity, and range are all different calculations. If you push to the maximum, or in my cases overload, you will reduce your range on EV and ICE. Towing capacity is more an issue of the power of your drive train. Payload is mostly framework and suspension, which in the Cybertruck's situation is a stainless steel exoskeleton that does not differ between all three motor options. Cybertruck also has the same suspension on all three trim levels. So, again, the payload calculation will not change. The real question that I have is how conservative is Tesla's calculation for setting their payload limit? As the current payload stands, it is a 1.75 ton limit. Every automaker other than Tesla rates their payloads as 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and full ton payloads. My current trucks are a 3/4 ton, and a 1/2 ton payload. I have personally loaded my 3/4 ton truck with payloads in excess of 2 tons with the only side effect that I rattled my exhaust if I accelerated too fast. The framework was unaffected, the bed structure held together but I could not open the tailgate until I reduced the load against the sides, and the axle was unaffected BECAUSE it was the same axle type used in 5 ton trucks. The major effect on my 3/4 ton truck was the suspension springs were overwhelmed and the load was in contact with the axle housing.

Regarding the Cybertruck's suspension with the self leveling air bladders, the limiting factor is the suspension's ability to compensate for the load. The stainless steel exoskeleton is far superior to my stamped steel from 1971, and the electric motors and batteries are far superior to my ICE drive train in terms of torque and horsepower. As for range, I anticipate the Cybertruck, even the single motor version, is more than capable to carry 1.75 ton across town in traffic, from the lumberyard or aggregate yard to your home project.

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
For those of you that want to geek out about potential payload difference between the trims, give me your best guess. I assume CT1 has the maximum payload of 3500 Ib, CT2 slightly lower due to additional motor but close. The largest difference should be between CT2 and CT3 since there is an additional motor (which may be the new fancy light motor used in S plaid) and more significantly additional batteries. There is 900 Ib of difference between Y long range and Y dual motor so I am thinking 2500 lb payload or less for CT3. Which is still more than most ICE trucks out there. What is your best guess for payload and weight for each Trim?
I think you are making a reasonable prediction. I would be very happy with anything over 2500 lbs for "my" dual motor.

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
otor but close. The largest difference should be between CT2 and CT3 since there is an additional motor (which may be the new fancy light motor used in S plaid) and more significantly additional batteries. There is 900 Ib of difference between Y long range and Y dual motor so I am thinking 2500 lb payload or less for CT3. Which is still more than most ICE trucks out there. What is your best guess for payload and weight for each Trim?
[/QUOTE]
I think the rating of 3500 pounds is the safe upper limit the suspension will accommodate. The gross weight of CT1, CT2, & CT3 narrows the excess capacity of the suspension, but all three will be fully capable of the entire 1.75 ton. I base this on Tesla's history of putting the legacy automakers to shame. Even the legacy manufacturers advertise their capacities based on "acceptable" functionality not maximum capability. So, it stands to reason that Musk and crew would not give their competition a talking point by advertising their absolute maximum "body groaning/motor straining/tire bursting" payload. Tesla is stating the maximum payload the suspension will compensate for while driving on unpaved access roads/unfriendly conditions.

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
1500 is 3/4 ton. 1000 is 1/2 ton.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I’m just wondering… would they let me race at the drag strip with 40 - 80 pound sacks of concrete in the back?

OP
OP
Diehard

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Even the legacy manufacturers advertise their capacities based on "acceptable" functionality not maximum capability.
Just to make sure I am reading you correctly, are you saying that even though the cast, frame and shock design may be the same across trims, and there may be over 1000 Ib weight difference between them, Tesla would recommend the same “acceptable” payload of 3500 lb? And we could overload CT1 by 1000 Ib more than CT3?