Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'92 Jeep Wrangler and 22’ Model Y
Occupation
Retired young/Business Owner
Country flag
Anybody know if the airbags are going to replace the whole coil over system on the CT or any updates?
Sponsored

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
I don't know, I thought it would be air shocked

OP
OP
Lives2TruckAround

Lives2TruckAround

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
OP
OP
Lives2TruckAround

Lives2TruckAround

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
On the flip side.... Im guilty of being like other ICE drivers and tend to...... "customize" my wheels, suspension, rims, etc.

I hate not having something "in hand" to experiment with for cars. All I want to do is see if its possible to lift a few inches, improvable both on and off road, etc.

cyberhunter

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ram 2500, Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
On the flip side.... Im guilty of being like other ICE drivers and tend to...... "customize" my wheels, suspension, rims, etc.

I hate not having something "in hand" to experiment with for cars. All I want to do is see if its possible to lift a few inches, improvable both on and off road, etc.
I'm like you. I took my 2017 Ram 2500 and while it was still new installed a complete off-road suspension myself, put on different wheels and tires. This made the truck look the way I wanted and made the ride tailored to my needs. New springs, king shocks, etc. to make the truck still be capable for towing decent loads, but ride as smooth as possible for a 3/4 ton truck on dirt and caliche county roads that are subject to washouts, large potholes, rocky paths that resemble roads, etc.

My anticipation is that the weight distribution of the CT will put the driving dynamics of this truck at a much better starting point than the current 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton trucks. With the CT, I expect there will be some default suspension settings we get to choose from for different driving conditions and likely the ability to set custom suspension settings. This custom settings will be the experimentation on the suspension side of things. More dialing in the suspension ride height, dampening changes independently on both the upward wheel travel and rebound, etc (from the comfort of the cabin on the touch screen) rather than swapping out parts and spending money to get the ride the way you want it. We will all still get different tires and wheels if we want, but I think having to spend on suspension just to get the ride the way we want for different conditions is going to be a thing of the past.

I anticipate when I'm going out to the ranch that the truck will be lower more like a car and the suspension settings tight like a car when I'm driving 90mph on I-10, then when I turn off to dirt roads where I might be driving 30 to 45mph, the suspension lifts up to give more travel, the dampening changes to soak up the bumps, etc. Go through some extended washouts where it's basically driving over a rocky dry creek bed for a mile, and we change it again for the most comfort. If I'm pulling a trailer for this trip, the settings would be adjusted accordingly. What will be even better, is after doing this for a couple trips, the CT does these adjustments automatically based on my location and past use of the truck but I will have the ability to customize the settings for each leg of the trip and experiment a ton for how I want the truck to drive. Maybe I don't want the truck lowered as much on the highway today because I need a little better height visibility or whatever...just change it. Seems like that would be a fun truck to own.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
Rams, which have air suspensions available, have coil springs. The air suspension is essentially a solid block which can raise or lower the height by adding or removing air. It's not a shock absorber.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Rams, which have air suspensions available, have coil springs. The air suspension is essentially a solid block which can raise or lower the height by adding or removing air. It's not a shock absorber.
These are separate issues: (1) air suspension, (2) adjustable suspension, and (3) adjustable suspension height.

I'm no expert but had a Citroen with (1) (the "air" was actually nitrogen), and (3). (3) had some cool uses, but driving with it raised or lowered wasn't one of them, unless you kept it very slow.

These days all three have variants, and I haven't heard what the CT will have. Hope it can be driven raised-up -- will save me a lot of snow plowing.

cyberhunter

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ram 2500, Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
These are separate issues: (1) air suspension, (2) adjustable suspension, and (3) adjustable suspension height.

I'm no expert but had a Citroen with (1) (the "air" was actually nitrogen), and (3). (3) had some cool uses, but driving with it raised or lowered wasn't one of them, unless you kept it very slow.

These days all three have variants, and I haven't heard what the CT will have. Hope it can be driven raised-up -- will save me a lot of snow plowing.
I'm pretty sure the CT will have a true air suspension...not just air bags or air springs to raise and lower the height. I'm fairly certain that Elon had talked about adjustability for ride height and dampening rates, etc. in the past. I'm also fairly certain that even the current lineup of Tesla S and X cars have true air suspension with the ability to change ride height based on speed. This allows them to be more aerodynamic while on highway but have enough ground clearance to do things like go over speed bumps at lower speeds.

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm pretty sure the CT will have a true air suspension...not just air bags or air springs to raise and lower the height. I'm fairly certain that Elon had talked about adjustability for ride height and dampening rates, etc. in the past. I'm also fairly certain that even the current lineup of Tesla S and X cars have true air suspension with the ability to change ride height based on speed. This allows them to be more aerodynamic while on highway but have enough ground clearance to do things like go over speed bumps at lower speeds.
Well if the design is locked in I can’t wait for the full specification to be announced.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Crissa, you are one of the best contributors to this whole forum. Ive been poking around most of the threads to get info and you pop up all the time which is awesome. I should start a thread that says "Ask Crissa" lol :LOL::ROFLMAO:
Well, this is mostly 'ask Google' to be honest. If you think I do good, well, I have no idea how Truck Electric digs through so many feeds for the good stuff. And I'm always asking my friends for help Googling stuff. There's always someone better at it!

And I think a healthy compatible third-party market will form. For instance, a year ago there were zero roof racks approved for Tesla, now most major brands have one.

I expect the Cybertruck will drive a new renaissance in Tesla-compatible gear. Hopefully Tesla will be ready and willing.

-Crissa

Cybercarlson

First Name
T.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
chevy K1500 decades ago, M3, MY, New Beetle
Country flag
The CT should be "state of the art".
It should incorporate all the existing features.

IMHO this is a full air suspencion (like a commercial bus/truck/trailer)with remotely adjusted shock absorbers.
Steel springs are too heavy, bulky and only customisable for 2 load settings.

I would like to see a build in weighing system (calculated through system pressure)
It should show the weight distribution on all wheels in real time.
This is a saftey feature to warn/show over-and unevenloading.
It could even show you the exact tounge weight for towing (different) trailers....

It could vindicate you at any police check point, but should be blocked by a pass code,
to make it not that easy for "our freinds and helpers" (cops).?

OP
OP
Lives2TruckAround

Lives2TruckAround

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Am i selfish to want tesla to only upgrade stuff on the cybertruck? haha.... meaning i dont want to trade in my 90k truck for the next years model so fast.

Similar to how Xbox and Playstation didnt make consoles for like 6 years.

OP
OP
Lives2TruckAround

Lives2TruckAround

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Am i selfish to want tesla to only upgrade stuff on the cybertruck? haha.... meaning i dont want to trade in my 90k truck for the next years model so fast.

Similar to how Xbox and Playstation didnt make consoles for like 6 years.
If they come up with a better physical screen? Come out with an aftermarket upgrade.
If they come up with better air suspension? Make the part available for order.
if they have a better heat/cooling seat upgrade? Ability to order that from the company.

I mean, if you come out with so many upgradable parts that would exceed the cost of a new vehicle with everything built in then sure I probably just buy the new CT.
Sponsored