Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Kia Soul
Occupation
etsy.com/PlatonicWoodWorks
Country flag
I've watched this video yesterday:

And today, I was wondering, has any car's computer had a hiccup due to cosmic rays?
Any reports of Tesla's cars getting bit-flipped?
Would the CT's SS exterior make it any less likely? Seems not much, given that some rays already pass through the atmosphere and reach the ground.
I'm not worried at all; really, I'm just curious.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Bit flips should only create transient errors in the AI, that it will correct over time as it re-writes itself.

You're more likely to stumble upon an albino redwood than see the effect of a cosmic ray on an earth-bound car.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
If you haven't seen the movie Brazil, you probably should take a moment to watch it now. I'll wait. While it doesn't involve cosmic rays, it is a fair simulation of what they might do in an alternative universe.

If cosmic events concern you, Solar flares should be a lot higher on your radar than stray cosmic rays. A large solar flare could disrupt many of our satellites, a fair number of earthbound computers, smartphones, and cellular networks. GPS is almost certain to go offline temporarily if it's a big one. It we weren't already going down a steep slope towards hell in a perambulator, I'd say a big solar flares are a huge threat.

As it is, we have other things much more concerning on our plate so... just background noise.

Last edited:

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
GPS is almost certain to go offline temporarily if it's a big one.
I should have kept my Thomas Guide. Do you know how quickly I will become lost? It is not like I remember any current phone numbers to call someone either. besides phone numbers from 30 years ago.
Sponsored