Expected Cybertruck pricing / price at launch?

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
You are probably correct. Elon didn't price the CT on a timeline to be released in 2019. Inflation for 2021 was 7%. It is 7.7% this year. That makes the (tri-motor) CT, inflation adjusted $80,552. Now, that's 15.24% higher than the announced price. It's possible Elon used a pricing that would reflect a 2022 price. Either way, both prices are well within the average profit Tesla makes per vehicle. They'd still make nearly 15% per truck while honoring their original price.

HOWEVER, The CT will now come with 4 wheel steering and 4 motors. Those two things, one could argue, give Tesla a 'reason' to raise the price. There's no way that the CT will come out and be MORE expensive than an F150 Lightning at $96,874.

More expensive? Probably
Same price? Possibly, but that would be a bold move by Tesla.

Could be that Tesla honors the price that we reserved... Some reserved with no price available after Tesla changed the site to where you couldn't even configure your Cybertruck (Well, pick between 3 motor/battery configs)
Sponsored

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
A lot of Cybertruck reservation holders are also investors ( like I am ).

I have several reservation. I hope they will give me my 1st reservation at close to original reveal price and only on the 2nd and further reservations raise the price substantially if necessary.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Not according to most of the gloom and doomers. But you're right, that will soften any blow - but it'll also look really bad for Tesla.

Nobody has said "It won't cost more". Nobody.
I have, though I agree with the rest of your post. Tesla and Elon have stated their intentions. They'd have marked in three years of inflation, or about 9% price hikes. They have a promise to keep - tho they never promised options except FSD. They always build in a large profit margin. And they have a track record of making their promised prices within a year of first deliveries.

Some things are just more important than profit. They would lose a huge number of orders if they don't meet their specs and prices.

-Crissa

Last edited:

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
I THINK the lowest price CT will be less than the highest priced Model Y. This is based on the fact that that was true when the reveal prices were given. Now specs have probably changed. There's a very strong rumor that the single motor won't happen and that may be true. There are a lot of variables in play that make it impossible for any of us to know for sure. Which makes it equally impossible for any of us to say someone elses guess is wrong.

I planned and budgeted for $80k - $90k total price. Trimotor = $70k. FSD=$7k. Taxes, destination charge etc ā‰ˆ$6k. Options (wheels/tires, diff tailgate, interior options, solar etc.) hopefully less than $7k which brings me to $90k. If the high end CT is now 4 motor, 4 wheel steering etc. I can probably justify pushing to $100k total, but I'd have a hard time rationalizing 6 figures on a vehicle.

In 2019, when you saw the reveal, before he told us the prices, what would you have guessed for each of the options? If you were like me, you were pleasantly surprised they were only asking $40k, $50k and $70k respectively. I still believe Tesla will keep the prices in the "Oh My GOD!!! No Fuckin' way!!!" category. In fact, if they advertised super great prices, then later changed them to less than spectacular prices, I'll be disappointed, and I'd expect at least some people calling foul.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
I THINK the lowest price CT will be less than the highest priced Model Y. This is based on the fact that that was true when the reveal prices were given. Now specs have probably changed. There's a very strong rumor that the single motor won't happen and that may be true. There are a lot of variables in play that make it impossible for any of us to know for sure. Which makes it equally impossible for any of us to say someone elses guess is wrong.

I planned and budgeted for $80k - $90k total price. Trimotor = $70k. FSD=$7k. Taxes, destination charge etc ā‰ˆ$6k. Options (wheels/tires, diff tailgate, interior options, solar etc.) hopefully less than $7k which brings me to $90k. If the high end CT is now 4 motor, 4 wheel steering etc. I can probably justify pushing to $100k total, but I'd have a hard time rationalizing 6 figures on a vehicle.

In 2019, when you saw the reveal, before he told us the prices, what would you have guessed for each of the options? If you were like me, you were pleasantly surprised they were only asking $40k, $50k and $70k respectively. I still believe Tesla will keep the prices in the "Oh My GOD!!! No Fuckin' way!!!" category. In fact, if they advertised super great prices, then later changed them to less than spectacular prices, I'll be disappointed, and I'd expect at least some people calling foul.
I think I'd also have a tough time rationalizing 6 figures... However, after 2 years of waiting for my Cybertruck, rational thought probably won't get much say when I'm hitting the option list! Going all in on this one.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Only the tri-motor was higher than the lowest priced Model Y at launch.

Why would that have changed?

-Crissa

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Only the tri-motor was higher than the lowest priced Model Y at launch.

Why would that have changed?

-Crissa
I didn't remember the specifics, but I knew it was true to say the highest MY was more than the lowest CT.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
the credit applies to Yankees only, not us Canucks. Secondly, many people are confused by how inflation is calculated, plus we don't know what the GM target is for the CT.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
The quad motor canā€™t cost less than a model X unless they never want to sell another one
The dual motor canā€™t cost less than any model Y or they will cut that demand by 75%
you're assuming people will want a truck over a car based on the price. bad assumption.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The quad motor canā€™t cost less than a model X unless they never want to sell another one
The dual motor canā€™t cost less than any model Y or they will cut that demand by 75%
This isnā€™t a big problem for Tesla. Musk has said that the only reason they keep making the Model X is for sentimental reasons. Tesla plans on selling 25-50 times more Cybertrucks than Model Xs. They are much much less expensive to manufacture.
Sponsored