Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I’m sure it probably is. If it blows people away, it’s just because they’re sheep. Both the airplane and marine industry have done drive by wire for years. If you’re blown away because a truck uses tech that’s available on your average center console fishing boat, you’re easily amused.

Baaaaaa!

?
Sponsored

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Honestly, it’s been in use for years and is perfectly safe. No reason not to do it. It’s substantially cheaper as well. My only gripe is the dumb yoke. It’s not a big deal though. No production vehicle ever fits 100%.
I am with you. There is so much I like about the truck that it takes a lot more than this to turn me off. If the code for adaptive steering has a bug in it and confuses high speed with low speed and flips the truck at 80 mph on the highway, it won’t be my truck. I am waaaaaay in the back of the line. By the time I get mine, everything is well tested and safe ;). Well, unless those Russians get into one of the updates again .........

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
I would (almost) bet the car will get delivered with a round wheel. In any vehicle where you routinely turn more than half a round of the wheel it’s much safer with a round wheel than a yoke. Not to mention in off-road situations. To use a yoke they would also have to change typical steering wheel behavior and gear ratio depending on speed (much more than what is common today), which is possible, but will take some getting used to. Formula 1 cars do *not* use a yoke, it’s only flattened on one end.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
I would (almost) bet the car will get delivered with a round wheel. In any vehicle where you routinely turn more than half a round of the wheel it’s much safer with a round wheel than a yoke. Not to mention in off-road situations. To use a yoke they would also have to change typical steering wheel behavior and gear ratio depending on speed (much more than what is common today), which is possible, but will take some getting used to. Formula 1 cars do *not* use a yoke, it’s only flattened on one end.
Elon has said that the new roadster space x edition can fly. Does a round wheel still make sense if the vehicle can fly? ?

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Elon has said that the new roadster space x edition can fly. Does a round wheel still make sense if the vehicle can fly? ?
If it does vertical take off and landing, I would even replace the other four wheels with Yoke.

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
If it does vertical take off and landing, I would even replace the other four wheels with Yoke.
I think you guys are in joystick territory ?

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Gives a whole new meaning to off-road.

EVCanuck

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ЗАЗ-968, Canyonero
Country flag
I am wondering if it would be possible that Tesla will use a variable-ratio steering in conjunction with the Yoke-style steering wheel, so for a full turn you would have to rotate only 90-120° in each direction and it would still be very fine steering in the neutral position. Did anyone see patents from Tesla on something like this?

Bond007

First Name
Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I am wondering if it would be possible that Tesla will use a variable-ratio steering in conjunction with the Yoke-style steering wheel, so for a full turn you would have to rotate only 90-120° in each direction and it would still be very fine steering in the neutral position. Did anyone see patents from Tesla on something like this?
That's what I'm thinking too. But we can only hope.

Cyber_Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Siennas (2)
Country flag
I tried driving today as if my car had the yoke.

Turns out that in my Sienna it is quite uncomfortable for 3 main reasons:
1) my steering wheel is still too round, so I have too twist my wrist to have my palm touch the wheel
2) at 9 and 3 (instead of accustomed 10 and 2) my hands both feel like they are reaching to the right... it seems I do not sit 100% centered to the steering wheel (weird)
3) the steering wheel adjustability is all wrong. It only 'rotates' up and down. For the yoke to work, the wheel needs to remain in the same plane (more vertical to one's body instead of becoming a semi's steering wheel) and needs to move in and out while retaining that orientation.

I very much fear they will get number 3) wrong, since I'm not aware of any car that does this (I hope I'm simply not aware and they are out there).

1 & 2 I think I can learn to live with.

edit to add: I like the yoke concept and am looking forward to it.

twill

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Outback
Country flag
When both me and my CT get a bit older, whenever a jackass cuts me off, I will be turning on my wipers and when it rains, I will honk the crap out of that horn.
Nah, CT will be smart enough to know to turn the wipers on for you for other drivers, and to honk at the rain before you even knew you wanted to. :)

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Interestingly, Yoke steering isn’t aimed so much at you or I. its real value is its meme. Yoke intention-signals - flying a Tesla. There’s many possibilities.

On the otherside of the Uncanny Vally emerges clarity. The meme clearly shows which direction Elon wants Tesla to move.
Sponsored