Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Tesla Cybertruck’s real-time adaptive features get closer with new suspension update

Tesla is currently rolling out version 2020.32.1 to its fleet, and among the improvements included in the update are new adaptive suspension settings and visualizations. The extensive details that Tesla included in its recent update seems to be a step towards the company’s eventual rollout of more advanced suspension features, such as those that Elon Musk previously announced for the Cybertruck.

A screenshot of the new suspension menu was shared recently by Model S owner u/AndrasHatvani at the r/TeslaMotors subreddit. In later comments, the Model S owner added that the detailed stats at the top of the suspension menu actually update live as the vehicle is operating. The new suspension features were outlined in 2020.32.1’s Release Notes.

Finally advanced air suspension settings and visualization - 2020.32.1
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck’s real-time adaptive suspension features get closer with new air suspension settings update display

“You can now see a real-time visualization of how the suspension system is dynamically adjusting each wheel’s damping to account for changing road conditions. Tap ‘Show Suspension Data’ to get even more real-time information. Adaptive Suspension Damping now has an ADVANCED setting that allows you to set custom levels of Ride Comfort and Handling in addition to the existing COMFORT, AUTO, and SPORT settings,” the company noted.

While such an update is undoubtedly cool and useful for owners, it is difficult to not see how the new suspension menu could be utilized by the company as a way to prepare for the eventual rollout of more advanced and intelligent functions. Tesla, after all, has several vehicles that would likely be equipped with a unique suspension system, such as the Plaid Model S and Model X, as well as the highly-anticipated Cybertruck.

Elon Musk has been pretty open about the Cybertruck’s unique suspension properties. The all-electric pickup is equipped with adaptive suspension, but it also has some unique tricks such as active ride height and active damping. In a tweet last February, Musk stated that such features will likely be “game-changing,” especially for trucks or “any car with a high max/min weight ratio.”

Musk has also tweeted about the Cybertruck’s capability to show real-time changes to its settings when it’s carrying cargo or towing a trailer. “Yes, will also show real-time changes to max acceleration, braking, cornering, speed on gradient & range, latter factoring in route elevation changes & cargo or tow mass & drag impact,” Musk wrote.

There are numerous benefits to such features. When used to carry cargo, for example, the Cybertruck would likely be able to make minor adjustments to its weight distribution by dynamically sensing the differences in front and rear weight. This, in turn, could allow the Cybertruck to optimize its efficiency even when it’s being put to work. The vehicle, after all, may look like a futuristic cyberpunk armored carrier, but it is constructed with real utility in mind. This is evident in the vehicle’s steel body and exoskeleton, both of which are incredibly durable and resistant to damage.

Source: Teslarati
Sponsored

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
That is awesome... add a couple of angle diagrams (for front to rear and side to side), small thumbnails of side, front, and back views (touching would enlarge) and it would be a great information screen for offroading.

IMHO, YMMV.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Tesla Cybertruck’s real-time adaptive features get closer with new suspension update

Tesla is currently rolling out version 2020.32.1 to its fleet, and among the improvements included in the update are new adaptive suspension settings and visualizations. The extensive details that Tesla included in its recent update seems to be a step towards the company’s eventual rollout of more advanced suspension features, such as those that Elon Musk previously announced for the Cybertruck.

A screenshot of the new suspension menu was shared recently by Model S owner u/AndrasHatvani at the r/TeslaMotors subreddit. In later comments, the Model S owner added that the detailed stats at the top of the suspension menu actually update live as the vehicle is operating. The new suspension features were outlined in 2020.32.1’s Release Notes.

display.jpeg

“You can now see a real-time visualization of how the suspension system is dynamically adjusting each wheel’s damping to account for changing road conditions. Tap ‘Show Suspension Data’ to get even more real-time information. Adaptive Suspension Damping now has an ADVANCED setting that allows you to set custom levels of Ride Comfort and Handling in addition to the existing COMFORT, AUTO, and SPORT settings,” the company noted.

While such an update is undoubtedly cool and useful for owners, it is difficult to not see how the new suspension menu could be utilized by the company as a way to prepare for the eventual rollout of more advanced and intelligent functions. Tesla, after all, has several vehicles that would likely be equipped with a unique suspension system, such as the Plaid Model S and Model X, as well as the highly-anticipated Cybertruck.

Elon Musk has been pretty open about the Cybertruck’s unique suspension properties. The all-electric pickup is equipped with adaptive suspension, but it also has some unique tricks such as active ride height and active damping. In a tweet last February, Musk stated that such features will likely be “game-changing,” especially for trucks or “any car with a high max/min weight ratio.”

Musk has also tweeted about the Cybertruck’s capability to show real-time changes to its settings when it’s carrying cargo or towing a trailer. “Yes, will also show real-time changes to max acceleration, braking, cornering, speed on gradient & range, latter factoring in route elevation changes & cargo or tow mass & drag impact,” Musk wrote.

There are numerous benefits to such features. When used to carry cargo, for example, the Cybertruck would likely be able to make minor adjustments to its weight distribution by dynamically sensing the differences in front and rear weight. This, in turn, could allow the Cybertruck to optimize its efficiency even when it’s being put to work. The vehicle, after all, may look like a futuristic cyberpunk armored carrier, but it is constructed with real utility in mind. This is evident in the vehicle’s steel body and exoskeleton, both of which are incredibly durable and resistant to damage.

As I once said (age 12, sitting beside my classmate with the long blonde hair), "Just because I don't understand something doesn't mean I can't drool over it."

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag

display.jpeg

All bets are off.

Elon's unequivocal assertion that CT could " fail" stripped all the oxygen out of CT. Tesla's leader has spoken. Elon has moved-on, lost focus or knows something; something substantial enough to change his mind about CT success.

Tesla need to deliver Cybertruck. Then pre-order buyers can get excited. No hype, no assumptions, no comparables nor promises can disprove Elon's " fail" assertion. Talk about " real-time" adaptive features is in no way real for CT. We have no idea how CT will be equipped IF it rolls off a production line. Tesla may vary suspensions and be dynamically equipped by torque measurement. Doubling torque has ever increasing demands on structure than simply settings on a computer screen. I don't see any correlation between the screenshot for comfort Tesla cars and a Cybertruck tri-motor pulling 12000# trailer.

Until proven otherwise all CT bets are off - off the table. Elon has asserted that CT can fail. SO only Tesla can prove otherwise. The people have put their money down on a product that its manufacture leadership sees as a " fail".

Now you and I have to wait and see what " fail" means.

cyberhunter

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ram 2500, Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
All bets are off.

Elon's unequivocal assertion that CT could " fail" stripped all the oxygen out of CT. Tesla's leader has spoken. Elon has moved-on, lost focus or knows something; something substantial enough to change his mind about CT success.

Tesla need to deliver Cybertruck. Then pre-order buyers can get excited. No hype, no assumptions, no comparables nor promises can disprove Elon's " fail" assertion. Talk about " real-time" adaptive features is in no way real for CT. We have no idea how CT will be equipped IF it rolls off a production line. Tesla may vary suspensions and be dynamically equipped by torque measurement. Doubling torque has ever increasing demands on structure than simply settings on a computer screen. I don't see any correlation between the screenshot for comfort Tesla cars and a Cybertruck tri-motor pulling 12000# trailer.

Until proven otherwise all CT bets are off - off the table. Elon has asserted that CT can fail. SO only Tesla can prove otherwise. The people have put their money down on a product that its manufacture leadership sees as a " fail".

What assertion pointing at CT failure are you referring to? I’m curious and would like to see the context.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
All bets are off.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck’s real-time adaptive suspension features get closer with new air suspension settings update 5a900c75b5bc56a533d619e8808bdd17

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
What assertion pointing at CT failure are you referring to? I’m curious and would like to see the context.
A CT has been built and Musk shows it off. The "fail" comment was Musk's concerns when it was introduced. Had everyone universally hated the CT then he would design a traditional truck. But folks think it is cool and nearly a million folks will be driving them in the next few or "several" years.
Why? because they are badass.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yeah, it could still fail! They could have some problem with batteries, the motors might not have the right efficiency their calculations had, it might be too expensive...

Past performance is no guarantee of future performance, but it's highly correlated.

-Crissa

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Yeah, it could still fail! They could have some problem with batteries, the motors might not have the right efficiency their calculations had, it might be too expensive...

Past performance is no guarantee of future performance, but it's highly correlated.

-Crissa
I fear that Elon goes the way of Jeff Bezos or worse. The things about unions and entitled American workers compared to Chinese workers... it could happen, but I hope the positive keeps outweighing the negative.

Not ever human is perfect and it is ok to like some aspects of them while still disliking other aspects.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
That is an exciting update.
It really is, I've been thinking about it how bouncy my F350 super diesel is all day every day and daydreaming about how smooth and quiet my CT will be. Can't wait.

cyberhunter

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ram 2500, Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
It really is, I've been thinking about it how bouncy my F350 super diesel is all day every day and daydreaming about how smooth and quiet my CT will be. Can't wait.
I'm eagerly anticipating the possibility of lowering the height and driving around like a sports car most days, but then at the touch of the screen, having a tow suspension set up and yet another touch of the screen, off-road setup, and then also custom for when I tow offroad or do other activities that a preset may not be optimized for but I can fine tune to my desired effect.

Cyberpartyboy21

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Buick Enclave
Occupation
Soon to be retired
Country flag
CT failure is no longer even a thought at this point. There were people that drove across the country to see it in Peterson Museum in LA. How many people would have done that for an F150?
I seriously hope they release some off road footage of CT being put through some challenging tests. That would certainly light the internet on fire.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
CT failure is no longer even a thought at this point. There were people that drove across the country to see it in Peterson Museum in LA. How many people would have done that for an F150?
I seriously hope they release some off road footage of CT being put through some challenging tests. That would certainly light the internet on fire.
Waiting for that cross country trek Elon proposed.
Sponsored