Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
This is another bit of the transcript which I think is widely mis-understood. Musk is talking about the challenges of the Cybertruck and he mentions that making it affordable is one of the biggest challenges. This answer also confirmed Musk‘s previous estimate about planned volume for the Cybertruck at 250,000 units.

We’ve all seen the crazy tech they are trying to cram into it, but fundamentally I think it sounds like Musk is trying to keep the truck grounded. The big reason? Because while he’s talking about affordability he’s putting it into context here.

“…if it's not affordable, that will constrain people's ability to buy it because they don't have the money… Aspirationally, we'd like it to go, in terms of just a rough order of magnitude, we'd like Cybertruck to be at least on the order of a quarter million vehicles a year. But it will take us a moment to get to that level.”​

So we need to work backwards from here. How much would the Cybertruck need to sell for in order to move 250,000 trucks a year after their initial backlog? That’s his **minimum** expectation and very likely the scale they will want and need in order to get the margins they are looking for.

Toyota has the “Premium” pickup and reputation for having crazy high truck prices, and prices on the Tundra range from about $35,000 to about $57,000 (likely around $75k with options). Across the whole Tundra line, Toyota only sells about 84,000 trucks per year. I think that sets a pretty good baseline for what the Cybertruck will cost.

The trucks which actually sell more than 250,000 units per year are significantly less expensive than the Tundra. There are no 250,000 unit/ year trucks which sell for $100,000, not even remotely close.

There is absolutely going to be a premium attached for the fact that it is an electric truck, but if they are going to hit that sales number, it is not going to be double the cost of otherwise comparable trucks.

Martin Viecha

Thank you. And the next question is, what are the biggest obstacles for Cybertruck volume production besides battery shortage?

Elon Musk -- Chief Executive Officer and Product Architect

Batteries will probably not be the limiting factor in Cybertruck production. There's a lot of new technology in the Cybertruck that will take some time to work through. And then, there's a question of like, what's the average cost of Cybertruck and to what degree is that affordable? You know, there's -- you can make something infinitely desirable, but if it's not affordable, that will constrain people's ability to buy it because they don't have the money .I worry more about like how do we the Cybertruck affordable despite having awesome technology. That's the thing that will really set the rate.

Aspirationally, we'd like it to go, in terms of just a rough order of magnitude, we'd like Cybertruck to be at least on the order of 40 quarter million vehicles a year. But it will take us a moment to get to that level.

This transcript is again from The Motley Fool. I made a slight edit to their transcription which is obvious in red above. I had to re-listen to the audio because I was pretty certain Musk didn’t say they were planning on making “40 million“ Cybertrucks a year.
Sponsored

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Glad you brought it up.

According to Elon Musk, a 6 ton Giga produces a cast every 45 seconds, and is working 75% of the time. Equals 10,000 casts per year. This equates to 250,000 cars per year. (front and back) = what Musk said.

I am assuming an 8 ton will have the same capacity.

As a business you just can’t be single point sensitive, you have to have 2 presses at least.

I think sometime in 2023, we will have a second Gigapress operating, and we will be quickly scoping towards 500,000 units per year.

Elon was clearly sandbagging.

500,000 Cybertrucks = 10 billion profit per year.

Buy TSLA

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Cybertruck MVP:
Truck - 6’ bed pickup truck. Minimum 6 lug ½ ton spec chassis w/hitch receiver. Fixed spring suspension. 10” ground clearance. RWD single motor w/AP. DELRIN Cloth interior, Weathertech removable floormats, fixed mirrors, BAD ASS WIPER, battery range of 230 mi. and frunk.​
ADDS:
Emergency braking​
Industrial LFP battery spec​
Weathertech mats​
.mil spec 11” computer screen​
Steel wheels​
DELETES:
Chrome​
Leather​
Carpet​
Vegan​
4680​
BIOwarfare​
Dynamic suspension​
RWS​
Alloy wheels (steel)​
FSD​
17” monitor(replace w/ 11” .mil spec)​
Curved Acoustic W/S (flat)​
Bucket seats (bench)​
Winch cover grille​
OPTIONS:
3”+ Fender flares​
Goodyear WRANGLER MT Cybertruck spec tires​
TSUNAMI-style removable drain plugs​
Hazard tailgate Tesla reflective appliqué​
Tesla programmable 8x switch bank​
DUAL Chargeport 96A​
BIOwarfare kit​
SS brushed front grille cover​
Ice Cooler frunk​
3M wrap​
Tesla wheelcovers​
Tesla Insurance​
TX hat rack​
Bottomline MVP SS 30X Cybertruck pickup; shorter than 6’ bed length, a buyer is in the market for a Wolverine class Sport truck.
This spec enables Tesla to differentiate MOTORS, RANGE, FINISHES and REFINEMENTS in variants. It represents an MVP that I want to buy, the most I expect and pay @ $40k USD and it’s the least absolutely necessary to be a Cybertruck.
An MVP, it celebrates function over form. It affords dual use, minimalist aesthetic and unique engineering devoid of slavish dependence upon luxury, features or design-enabled marketing by Tesla’s high technology built into even an entry spec Cybertruck.

Edit: TX

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Cybertruck MVP:
Truck - 6’ bed pickup truck. Minimum 6 lug ½ ton spec chassis w/hitch receiver. Fixed spring suspension. 10” ground clearance. RWD single motor w/AP. DELRIN Cloth interior, Weathertech removable floormats, fixed mirrors, BAD ASS WIPER, battery range of 230 mi. and frunk.​
He didn’t say “We’re going to have to cut a bunch of this stuff to make it affordable.“

He said “…how do we make the Cybertruck affordable despite having awesome technology.”

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I think sometime in 2023, we will have a second Gigapress operating, and we will be quickly scoping towards 500,000 units per year.
I wouldn’t be surprised and I’ve suggested similar numbers myself.

My feeling here is 250k is the absolute minimum volume Tesla will be shooting for. If they invest in an 8k Ton Gigapress, they are going to want to spread the cost of that machine over as many units as possible.

The 250k number is also a sort of baseline for the Gigapress. It can be pushed up to closer to 350k vehicles if they run it 24 hours a day. Seems like that’s the kind of volume they are getting out of the ones in Shanghai.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Country flag
He didn’t say “We’re going to have to cut a bunch of this stuff to make it affordable.“

He said “…how do we make the Cybertruck affordable despite having awesome technology.”
I responded to OP ”if it's not affordable, that will constrain people's ability to buy it because they don't have the money”

Get real @Ogre awesome technology is inherent in Cybertruck design. Design isn’t about a list of features, design is how a thing works. -SteveJobs.

Tesla designs from 1st principles then builds every Tesla with its awesome technology. That pedigree is designed and engineered into Cybertruck like its Tesla DNA.

Whining because FOMO you might not get your <FAV> features is so last century. You want AWD pony up the DUAL CT variant. You want 14,000# trailer towing fork over for a TRI CT. You need to pull stumps up on the trails that’ll cost you a PLAID CT variant.

Cybertruck is a truck. Get the damned thing rolling out the doors into people arms who love the CT, can afford one and want to stop adding to AGW everytime they fill up their gastank. These are Tesla people who despise legacy auto, hate what ICE have wrought ond want a legacy Tesla represents in Cybertruck.

Everyone wants a CT ASAP. Not everyone needs every technology. A few don’t want every technology baked into all its variants. The MVP CT is a base Cybertruck with Tesla DNA through and through. No hacks, no short cuts and no cheater code to foil the Feds or IIHS.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I responded to OP ”if it's not affordable, that will constrain people's ability to buy it because they don't have the money”

Get real @Ogre awesome technology is inherent in Cybertruck design. Design isn’t about a list of features, design is how a thing works. -SteveJobs.

Tesla designs from 1st principles then builds every Tesla with its awesome technology. That pedigree is designed and engineered into Cybertruck like its Tesla DNA.

Whining because FOMO you might not get your <FAV> features is so last century. You want AWD pony up the DUAL CT variant. You want 14,000# trailer towing fork over for a TRI CT. You need to pull stumps up on the trails that’ll cost you a PLAID CT variant.

Cybertruck is a truck. Get the damned thing rolling out the doors into people arms who love the CT, can afford one and want to stop adding to AGW everytime they fill up their gastank. These are Tesla people who despise legacy auto, hate what ICE have wrought ond want a legacy Tesla represents in Cybertruck.

Everyone wants a CT ASAP. Not everyone needs every technology. A few don’t want every technology baked into all its variants. The MVP CT is a base Cybertruck with Tesla DNA through and through. No hacks, no short cuts and no cheater code to foil the Feds or IIHS.
I’m not quoting Musk because it agrees with my point of view here, or because it’s what I want. I’m quoting him because that’s what he is almost certain to do. Musk takes pride in the fact that he ships a product which is better than what was sold originally.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Country flag
I’m not quoting Musk because it agrees with my point of view here, or because it’s what I want. I’m quoting him because that’s what he is almost certain to do. Musk takes pride in the fact that he ships a product which is better than what was sold originally.
What’s the point of producing a product at 250,000 units/yr. if only enough people like you and @Bill906 amount to a 1 yr. only production run?

Missing is Elon’s qualifier that GigaTX is a Cybertruck building machine at scale building Cybertrucks beyond the means of mere mortals except for you and Bill906 there et. al. That be only enough for the first year. Then what?

Originally, I saw Cybertruck as the next incarnation of both pickup and SUV platforms. There’s a factory now capable of meeting that double barrel demand. But if Tesla are wont to get their nose cutoff, listening to what people want…as SteveJobs famously said “people don’t know what they want until you give it to them”

Time Elon Musk grows a pair and gives them Cybertruck. All of Tesla DNA and some of Elon’s is built into every one. But him-haw, drag your feet and sandbag your Cybertruck buyers - they will head for the next guy who’s giving them an electric truck.

BTW: You…no one knows what Elon Musk will do. Why do you think he’s on wife number ? I just realized I lost count…Tuhlah Riley confuses

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
What’s the point of producing a product at 250,000 units/yr. if only enough people like you and @Bill906 amount to a 1 yr. only production run?

Missing is Elon’s qualifier that GigaTX is a Cybertruck building machine at scale building Cybertrucks beyond the means of mere mortals except for you and Bill906 there et. al. That be only enough for the first year. Then what?

Originally, I saw Cybertruck as the next incarnation of both pickup and SUV platforms. There’s a factory now capable of meeting that double barrel demand. But if Tesla are wont to get their nose cutoff, listening to what people want…as SteveJobs famously said “people don’t know what they want until you give it to them”

Time Elon Musk grows a pair and gives them Cybertruck. All of Tesla DNA and some of Elon’s is built into every one. But him-haw, drag your feet and sandbag your Cybertruck buyers - they will head for the next guy who’s giving them an electric truck.

BTW: You…no one knows what Elon Musk will do. Why do you think he’s on wife number ? I just realized I lost count…Tuhlah Riley confuses
I’m the one who said I expect Tesla will produce the Cybertruck for a reasonable cost and for many of the reasons you state. Musk says outright that they don’t want to price it so high nobody can afford it. Personally, I would prefer he lowered prices and dropped some features rather than increased prices.

As I said above, I’m talking about what I think he is going to do, not what I want him to do.

The only way I’m getting an $80k Cybertruck is if my investments do exceptionally well between now and truck time. So far it’s been sideways or worse lately so an $80k+ truck is very unlikely.

Of course I can’t read Musk’s mind. But I do know he is a straight forward person. If he says something usually he believes it. His problem is in being overly optimistic or setting aggressive deadlines to push himself and his teams.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Cybertruck MVP:
ADDS:
Emergency braking​
Industrial LFP battery spec​
Weathertech mats​
.mil spec 11” computer screen​
Steel wheels​
DELETES:
Chrome​
Leather​
Carpet​
Vegan​
4680​
BIOwarfare​
Dynamic suspension​
RWS​
Alloy wheels (steel)​
FSD​
17” monitor(replace w/ 11” .mil spec)​
Curved Acoustic W/S (flat)​
Bucket seats (bench)​
Winch cover grille​
OPTIONS:
3”+ Fender flares​
Goodyear WRANGLER MT Cybertruck spec tires​
TSUNAMI-style removable drain plugs​
Hazard tailgate Tesla reflective appliqué​
Tesla programmable 8x switch bank​
DUAL Chargeport 96A​
BIOwarfare kit​
SS brushed front grille cover​
Ice Cooler frunk​
3M wrap​
Tesla wheelcovers​
Tesla Insurance​
TX hat rack​
Bottomline MVP SS 30X Cybertruck pickup; shorter than 6’ bed length, a buyer is in the market for a Wolverine class Sport truck.
This spec enables Tesla to differentiate MOTORS, RANGE, FINISHES and REFINEMENTS in variants. It represents an MVP that I want to buy, the most I expect and pay @ $40k USD and it’s the least absolutely necessary to be a Cybertruck.
An MVP, it celebrates function over form. It affords dual use, minimalist aesthetic and unique engineering devoid of slavish dependence upon luxury, features or design-enabled marketing by Tesla’s high technology built into even an entry spec Cybertruck.

Edit: TX
I have no idea what you are talking about. Tesla will ‘not’ remove features. They will ‘engineer’ the hell out of it to get the truck affordable.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I have no idea what you are talking about. Tesla will ‘not’ remove features. They will ‘engineer’ the hell out of it to get the truck affordable.
Yes. Though I’m sure something will bend or break.

During 2021, Tesla’s costs went **Down** in spite of rising raw materials costs.

The Model Y is lighter, less expensive to manufacture, and weighs hundreds of pounds less than it’s competition, yet they are able to charge a premium for it. They simply out-engineered everyone.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Country flag
Just by looking at the Model Y volumes they could easily sell 250,000 CT's with a base price of $60k.
Does that $60k MY have:
37” truck tires and rims
Dynamic computerized suspension controls
30X SS bullet proof body
120kW battery pack
Dual PIM motors
Acoustic bullet resistant glass
RWS

Cost creep is orthogonal as the scale of a vehicle increases. Elon has laid out the spreadsheets against the design brief and is telling us that the two don’t square.

Back of envelope maths:
Deletes:
RWS
1 PIM front motor
4680 battery pack
Dynamic suspension

ADDs:
LFP battery pack
1PEM front motor
Conventional coil sprung suspension.

It still looks insufficient to bring under the design brief, IDK. That’s as much as you can change a DUAL CT and still have a Cybertruck. I’ve owned two Range Rovers. The conventional sprung coil suspension was best of *any* truck owned. Best riding. Best handling. Best offroad. Only my 3rd Gen 4Runner came close and it was rough as hell riding. But offroad? It handled very well. I’d take coil suspension over losing the CT due to cost creep. I don’t have to think twice about the tradeoff. I would whine about losing 16” clearance but I can live with 10”. Higher the truck is hard for the gals to climb aboard.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Does that $60k MY have:
The dual motor AWD Cybertruck has always been price comparable to the Model Y AWD. I’ve always assumed that was due to the simpler form factor being easier to manufacture and the cost savings on things like paint.

After the initial reservations, do you think Tesla will be able to sell 250,000 trucks a year at $70,000+/ year when comparable ICE trucks are selling for 20,000 less?

There are only so many people willing to pay a $20,000 premium for an EV. Truck buyers are often more price conscious than car buyers.
Sponsored