Cybertruck as work truck / for construction work?

First Name
Wang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I want to know more about the following.

- built in compressor
- 220v outlets
- ability to transport 20ft lumber and pipes
- how can we add a lumber rack on this slanted frame
- passthrough rear seats or tunnel?
Sponsored

WildhavenMI

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), 2021 Bolt EV, 2018 Model X
Occupation
Digital @ Aurora Solar
Country flag

- built in compressor
- 220v outlets
I think we all have those same questions - hopefully we get some answers on March 1st.

I assume any bed-mounted lumber rack will be the same, and it'll just prevent use of the tonneau (assuming that's a standard option).

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag

- built in compressor
- 220v outlets
It will have built-in compressed air but it's not going to supply the volume of air a normal contractors jobsite compressor for things like framing nail guns, house-painting spray guns, etc. The compressor will be lighter duty than that.

We don't know the amperage of the 240V outlets, probably 30 amp, enough to run a compressor or welder, etc.

I'm confident Tesla will offer a contractor's rack, perhaps not available upon initial deliveries - it might take the better part of a year to be available. The rack will actually be lighter than a typical pick-up rack because the sail pillars will reduce the height and increase the rigidity of the rack. The rack will have a significant impact on range, especially when loaded but also bare. This will not be a big problem for most uses requiring a rack because contractors tend to work locally. It's pretty hard to make a decent living when you have drive 3 hours to the jobsite and three hours home.

Ideally, there will be receptacles for the rack verticals in the sail pillar which could greatly shorten the amount of time it takes to install/remove the rack so it could also be used by people who only need a rack intermittently. If receptacles are outboard of the vault cover the two could be used in conjunction with each other. This is what I would expect.

We don't know if it will have a pass-through or a tunnel. I would say very unlikely on the tunnel and maybe not a pass-through either.

It's going to be a ground-breaking product and highly versatile for the most needed uses. Tesla is not that focused on making a lifestyle truck, AKA Rivian R1T, and very focused on displacing millions of ICE powered trucks over time.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag

- built in compressor YES
- 220v outlets YES
- ability to transport 20ft lumber and pipes. Needs Lumber Rack
- how can we add a lumber rack on this slanted frame Likely aftermarket option
- passthrough rear seats or tunnel? Likely no.
Answered inline above. I would assume the compressor and 240v outlets are minimal output unless we hear otherwise. I would love to hear itā€™s a 50a 240v outlet, but donā€™t hold your breath.

We have no word on any sort of pass through or midgate so I wouldnā€™t plan on it.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The compressor is ā€œFreeā€. Itā€™ll be whatever the air suspension requires.

The AC out is just a matter of what Tesla installs. No reason it couldnā€™t support 50a output, but they might put something lower in. I hope Fordā€™s killer AC out system will make them realize its a desirable feature. Would sure be nice to be able to have a generator input for the house and just plug in and switch over when there is a power outage.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I just got really excited seeing that picture.

Side sail and rack... how did that pic skip the 1 million posts since 2019 ? lol

By the looks of it, nearly confirming opening the side sail won't get in the way of a bat wing awning:

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck as work truck / for construction work? 1676079680189

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
This is an official render from Tesla's presentation back in 2019 that shows a rack attaching to the sail pillars. I wouldn't worry, they clearly know about it.

Cybertruck-Ladder-Rack-Charging-Tools-4.jpg
I swear Iā€™ve never seen this picture before. That is exactly what I want out of the sail pillar storage.

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
I just got really excited seeing that picture.

Side sail and rack... how did that pic skip the 1 million posts since 2019 ? lol

By the looks of it, nearly confirming opening the side sail won't get in the way of a bat wing awning:

1676079680189.png
Will that thing tilt a bit?!? šŸ˜²
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck as work truck / for construction work? 1676086148867

Alpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If the compressor is small but high pressure, you can use a regulator and a tank to create the output you need.

-Crissa

Compressors have specific on/off duty cycle ratings. If u hook one up to a higher demand, it will burn out in no time. I work with Compressors of all sizes

WHIZZARD OF OZ

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Up!
Occupation
Electric Wheelchair Builder
Country flag

- built in compressor
- 220v outlets
Can you IMAGINE a passthrough from frunkgate to tailgate? If it can clear the 'Vault' when rolled into its hidey, seein' it! :)
Sponsored