KuMX

First Name
Ku
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model X
Country flag
The Cybertruck battery is 4 x 200V units in series. A switch inside allows switching between parallel and series to optimally charge at 400V and 800V

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck battery is 4 x 200V units in series. Switch inside allows switching between parallel and series to optimally charge at 400V and 800V 9pkaf9tzyp3c1

Source: 31 minutes into this video

Sponsored

Knucklehead

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
That is freaking awesome and exactly the right way to design the pack. The Lucid uses a converter when the charger cannot provide 900V, which results in a very slow (like 60 kWh or less) charge speed on 400V chargers.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Isn’t the parallel, series switch how GM is doing it with hummer and Silverado? What is different/new here?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Isn’t the parallel, series switch how GM is doing it with hummer and Silverado? What is different/new here?
Yeah, I thought Rivian had that patent.

Anyhow, it's kind of the way to go. Just like taking AA batteries out and swapping them into the charger. Charger charges at one voltage, your toy operates at its voltage.

-Crissa

GhostAndSkater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
Yes, but if I remember correctly, they use a bunch of stand alone contactors to make it happen, more expensive and bulkier, Tesla designed a single tiny switch that integrates all that

fhteagle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Volt, CT Res x2
Country flag
I wonder if one of the 4 "packlets" (modules?) be replaced independently, or if they have to be replaced all four at once.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
I wonder if one of the 4 "packlets" (modules?) be replaced independently, or if they have to be replaced all four at once.
They should all wear out at the same time.

The powertrain warranty, including the battery, is warranteed for 150,000 miles/8 years. If Tesla is comfortable not having indivdually replaceable modules when it's on their dime, then I'm not worried. Drive the pack until until it no longer has adequate range, and then put all new batteries in it.

Tesla learned a long time ago it doesn't make economic sense to mix new and old batteries.

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
350 kW on v4 superchargers - from official Tesla folks

34:00

Last edited:

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
They should all wear out at the same time.

The powertrain warranty, including the battery, is warranteed for 150,000 miles/8 years. If Tesla is comfortable not having indivdually replaceable modules when it's on their dime, then I'm not worried. Drive the pack until until it no longer has adequate range, and then put all new batteries in it.

Tesla learned a long time ago it doesn't make economic sense to mix new and old batteries.
I was very happy to see the 150,000 mile warranty.
Hope no one ever needs it, but that is a nice bump in the warranty.

davelloydbrown

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, silverado
Occupation
veterinarian - retired
Country flag
If there is no 12 v circuit, how it is going to run the lights and brakes when towing a trailer?

Bluechip506

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Mazda CX9, Mazda Miata
Country flag
I was very happy to see the 150,000 mile warranty.
Hope no one ever needs it, but that is a nice bump in the warranty.
I think our Model S came with 8 year unlimited milage on the battery which has 1 year left. So far so good. Minimal degradation. Almost 100K miles. 259 miles stated originally (actual was around 235), and now it's about 225 actual.